LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic & Other Firearms (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   3 Military M1 Carbines (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42552)

big open 04-08-2024 08:42 PM

3 Military M1 Carbines

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 88453

Attachment 88454

Attachment 88455

Attachment 88456

Attached are photos of three military M1 Carbines I've had for several years. They are: Standard Products, Saginaw S.G. and Inland Motors Div. The Inland Motors is my shooter since it has a replacement stock but all other parts are original G.I. including the canvas shoulder sling.

Edward Tinker 04-08-2024 11:12 PM

Nice
I like me some carbines

sdmark777 04-09-2024 11:46 AM

I like your carbines Big Open! First rifle I ever bought was an M1 Carbine, Inland-Underwood 1944, when I was 15 years old. Still have it and still love them carbines. Thanks for sharing yours.

big open 04-09-2024 01:40 PM

Thanks everyone for looking at the photos and making comments. The Inland Motors is a real pleasure to shoot and load for. The other two I guess are "safe queens". Thanks again.

rolandtg 04-10-2024 12:59 AM

Nice collection. I can look at M1 carbines all day. Thanks for showing.
My favorite rifle.
I have a Saginaw S'G' with an Underwood barrel.

Eugen 04-10-2024 02:01 AM

Op, I love M1 30 Carbines and have few myself. I enjoy them even more at the range. Thanks for sharing photos of yours.

big open 04-10-2024 01:53 PM

rolandtg, Eugen etc ----- Thanks for looking at the photos. Yes, my Saginaw S.G. has an Underwood barrel as well and I believe it is stamped "43". I really like shooting the M1 carbine, too bad they are so high dollar these days. I'd like to pick up more of them but in today's market they are too rich for my blood.

rolandtg 04-11-2024 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by big open (Post 349716)
rolandtg, Eugen etc ----- Thanks for looking at the photos. Yes, my Saginaw S.G. has an Underwood barrel as well and I believe it is stamped "43". I really like shooting the M1 carbine, too bad they are so high dollar these days. I'd like to pick up more of them but in today's market they are too rich for my blood.

I found my Saginaw in a small gun store about 35 years ago. I think I paid ~$200 or so. I suspect it probably came from the CMP back in the '60's.
I had a couple of others I bought in the early '90's when a lot of them were re-imported but they were pretty shot out. I sold those, wish I'd kept them looking at prices now.
Here's an old photo of my Saginaw with my Springfield. They're both '43.

big open 04-11-2024 02:13 AM

rolandtg ----- Thanks for showing your Saginaw and Springfield. You have a very good looking M1 carbine and M1 Garand rifle. I like the ammo pouches you show in your photo. Are they originals ? I'm going to a gun show this weekend and will be looking for some ammo pouches there. I picked up my first M1 carbine in the mid 60's for $75, the Std. Prod. piece in the photos above. I have only one M1 Garand that I picked up from the DCM in '91 for $90. It is a very nice rifle with the barrel stamp SP 41 on the chamber area. I've fired only about 2 or 3 eight round clips of surplus ammo through it shortly after I got it. I haven't fired it since then. I think I'd better take it out and put a few rounds through it just to make sure it still works. I'll take a photo of it and my Saginaw S.G. crossed like you show in your photo. Thanks for showing your pieces.

rolandtg 04-11-2024 11:46 AM

Thank you. The ammo belt for the Garand clips is a reproduction.
Everything else is "vintage".
The Garand was also a DCM rifle. I paid a few bucks more for it than yours!
It was rebarreled in '46 so I guess it saw some action somewhere.
I haven't had it out to shoot in quite a while, I hate cleaning it. :)

big open 04-11-2024 02:13 PM

rolandtg ---- Yeah, as I mentioned above I haven't had my M1 out to fire it in 30 + years and I'll have to remedy that before long. Many years ago I cleaned my M1 under the watchful eye of a big tough Sargent who stood there to inspect the finish product. Those were good days though. I was issued a M1 Carbine for a short time and that was a much easier piece to pack around and clean after a day on the rifle range. I'd like to have both of them in my safe today.