LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Commercial Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   1920 PARTS Navy Luger Carbine (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=29259)

CHARLESL 10-29-2012 08:52 PM

1920 PARTS Navy Luger Carbine

8 Attachment(s)
Hello forum members
I have an interesting Luger Carbine that i offer up for critical
review . I do not know much about much about lugers much less
Luger carbines. I will try to attach photographs . The luger was obtained about 20 years ago by a relative that has kept it in his
display case. He now is in his mid seventies and wants to sell it .I think it is a beautiful pistol . He says that when he bought it at a Houston Gun Show many years ago he was told that it was a Commercial Luger that was imported to the US .He said it had been made out of surplus parts like old Navy frames .{That is why it has a Navy sightAttachment 29772
[ and since it was sent to the us an American crest on the receiver. It has all matching number. The barrel and extension have the full number 48930. The take down , sideplate,toggle on the rear below the site,all have 30. the barrel has germany located just in front of the extension. There is a crown over n on the left side of the receiver and breechblock.
The forearm also has 930 stamped where I have seen others.
The forearm is longer than the normal carbine stock but I was told there was a lot of variation especially since this may have been a request order . Any how if there are any experts that wopuld like to comment I would be much appreciative since my relative is liquidating many of his Lugers and other collectible pistols and rifle that I have been seeing and wishing for years
Thank you very much for any opinions
Chuck Lobrano
I can have more pictures if needed or if these don't attach

Attachment 29772

Attachment 29773

Attachment 29774

Attachment 29775

Attachment 29776

Attachment 29777

Attachment 29778

Attachment 29779

DavidJayUden 10-29-2012 08:58 PM

An American Eagle Navy Mannlicher Carbine. This one is way over my pay grade...
dju

CAP Black 10-29-2012 09:31 PM

It will be interesting to see how the ser. no. checks out with numbers on record for commercial navys or 1920 carbines.
Jack

Ray 10-29-2012 10:44 PM

I have a 1920 navy carbine with a serial number in the 37xxx range, but with
a long frame in .30 caliber. My fore stock in similar to the 1902 type. The full
stock that the above carbine has is very unusual.

lugersrkewl 10-29-2012 11:15 PM

a vertical crown n grip safety american eagle carbine with navy sights
very interesting thanks for posting

alanint 10-30-2012 05:49 AM

Is the stock iron numbered to match the pistol?

CHARLESL 10-30-2012 06:32 AM

The forend is numbered 930 but I cannot see any numbering on the rear stock.
What is the difference in long and short frame?
Thanks Chuck

nukem556 10-30-2012 10:38 AM

I dont know what it is, but the workmanship is very good...I'd love to have it. Should shoot very well with that LONG sight radius!

DavidJayUden 10-30-2012 01:26 PM

And where, oh where, is Eugene when we need him? Looks like his work to me...
dju

ithacaartist 10-30-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJayUden (Post 222514)
And where, oh where, is Eugene when we need him? Looks like his work to me...
dju

+1, and I'm still drooling. There's another such carbine with a long Mannlicher fore-stock on Gunbroker, or such, by "unknown gunsith" who may have been "inspired by Martz" I think it was relatively cheap. This one is really nice looking, even though this checkering on the fore-stock leaves a bit to be desired.

Are there any particular rules to set a value on this, or is it a case of the market simply determining a price--as in, it's worth what you can get for it?

alanint 10-30-2012 03:20 PM

Let's keep in mind that unless this Carbine, in this configuration came directly from the factory or is otherwise on the Curio and Relics list as being an accepted, historical variation, it may very well be an unregistered Short Barreled Rifle and subject to ATF regulations.

How long is the barrel from chamber to muzzle?

mrerick 10-30-2012 03:49 PM

I think that about a year ago, checkpointcharlies.com had a similar carbine, more recently made as a "Guild Gun" carbine from Germany.

Could the "reproductions" definition in the ATF C&R list embrace this configuration? I know repro stocks are acceptable.

Marc

ithacaartist 10-30-2012 03:57 PM

Found the link to the other one...guess I didn't do very well remembering the details.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/991015827...ack_Forest.htm

sheepherder 10-30-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithacaartist (Post 222526)
Found the link to the other one...guess I didn't do very well remembering the details.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/991015827...ack_Forest.htm

I'm pretty sure that one on GA is a Numrich barrel/forend...and repro board stock...

The one the OP has pictured is very nice...I like it... :)

alanint 10-30-2012 05:29 PM

Please note that the pistol featured on Gunsamerica has a 16" barrel, making it extempt from the NFA clauses.

The Pistol we are discussing may have serious issues. Unless it is proven to be an original, factory configuration from the DWM plant and/or it has been recognized by ATF to be a "Curio and Relic" pistol and registered on the C&R list, it may very well be considered an unregistered SBR.

To answer Marc's question; A modern stocked pistol or SBR CAN be legal if and only if, it is submitted to ATF and THEY determine it has sufficient collector/historical value to be included on the C&R list. These approvals for modern guns are few and far between, (I can only remember it happening for one or two commemoratives). While a "repro" stock is legal, it cannot be added to a "repro" Navy, Artillery or any other pistol, since this defeats the spirit of the "historically significant" clause in the C&R law.
The Carbine in question would certainly be a candidate for addition to the C&R list, if a pedigree indicating some uniqueness or otherwise important historical context can be produced.

cirelaw 10-30-2012 05:51 PM

How long does submission usualy take??

mrerick 10-30-2012 05:51 PM

Doug,

Is this where a museum director nomination to the ATF comes in?

I would imagine that things would get difficult during the process since up until approved by the ATF for the list, it would be an unlicensed SBR.

Charles, is there a witness mark where the barrel and receiver are joined that shows it's the original barrel first installed on the receiver? (perfectly straight and even in depth)? Is a picture available?

Because of the flash reflection, I can't see if the trigger is strawed (which I assume). If so it is likely perfect in appearance.

In natural light, how does the woodgrain and finish / stain color compare between the stock and the foregrip and the frame grips?

BTW.... The following description is on the exemption list:

"Luger, DWM Pistol-Carbine, model 1920, 7.65mm or 9mm parabellum cal., with accompanying original commercial type shoulder stock, with or without forearm piece, having barrel lengths of 11-3/4" to less than 16"."

Would that description apply to Charles' pistol? Would the Navy sight be normally on this commercial carbine?

Marc

nukem556 10-30-2012 06:16 PM

VERY thin ice here.....you must apply to make a SBR with the ATF before you start construction of such...and if you appeal to the Feds to declare an existing SBR thats in your posession a Curio and Relic and they say no, guess what? You might as well have a Quad .50 halftrack in your backyard...you're doing felony time in the big house.

cirelaw 10-30-2012 06:36 PM

1920 navy carbine

2 Attachment(s)
I attached a picture of one in Kenyan.

Ron Wood 10-30-2012 06:40 PM

I do not think there is any reason to panic about the legality of this gun. The quality and unusual construction of the piece raises enough probability that it is a legitimate 1920 Carbine that I seriously doubt that BATFE is going to take any interest in it. I am away from home right now but later this week I may ask Chuck for some additional photos to see if I can nail down a bit more detail.