LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   New member with 1914 Luger 9mm (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=39157)

gaedfly 12-09-2018 01:21 PM

New member with 1914 Luger 9mm

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. Thanks for the add. I’m the proud owner of my first Luger, a 1914 9mm purchased just yesterday. I’ve wanted one for so long and took a chance on this one. I hope you can help me ID it and give me some idea of its value. The value only matters to satisfy my curiosity and for insurance purposes. I love it and I’m not planning to sell it. I’ve attached a pic of the right and left side, not sure whether that will be enough. On the top it says 1914. Thanks in advance and if I have not done any of this correctly please let me know, eager to learn.

Edward Tinker 12-09-2018 01:53 PM

welcome to the forum

I assume it is a DWM (the scroll-work on the top toggle)

So, made for the german army by the firm of DWM in 1914.

Ed

DonVoigt 12-09-2018 02:07 PM

Check out the stickys.
They will give you some basic info and tell you what pictures to post.

More info is to be had with a top view, and view of the front of the frame.
Also tell us if it is matching numbers or not.

Welcome to the board.

gaedfly 12-09-2018 02:10 PM

Thanks to both of you. I guess I missed that in the stickys. Alright, I’ll take more pics when I get home later. All numbers match, except magazine.

abukafura 12-09-2018 06:38 PM

A very nice looking Imperial Luger. You are off to a great start....

gaedfly 12-10-2018 03:15 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Alright, I'm no photographer but I did my best to take some more decent pics. Any further info will be greatly appreciated.

DavidJayUden 12-10-2018 04:24 PM

I'm seeing a WW1 DWM German military sidearm. The visible numbers all appear to match. The finish is worn and spotty, but I'm concerned about the bluing on the breech block and extractor as it looks better than the rest. Also the trigger appears to be blued, so someone has done some refinishing to, at least, parts of the gun. Magazine is aftermarket. You asked about value, so I'll stick my neck out and guesstimate around $1250, give or take a hundred here, another hundred there...
What specific questions did you have about your new acquisition?
dju

gaedfly 12-10-2018 06:37 PM

I'll have to read some literature. I was hoping to trace the history of this firearm, whether it was used in WW1 and/or WW2. I'm also hoping to find the matching magazine although I don't hold out much hope of that.

I was so focused on the matching numbers that I didn't even think of looking at whether the bluing was consistent throughout. Thanks for teaching me that. Well I'm glad that it seems to be authentic to some degree and it really shoots well.

cirelaw 12-10-2018 07:18 PM

Nice Pics! Thanks for sharing with us!

DavidJayUden 12-10-2018 08:45 PM

Bluing is hard to tell without the gun in hand, so don't concern yourself too much with my comments.
Finding the actual original magazine is tough, but put a note in the Want to Buy section below and who knows? And you can find a correct but mis-numbered magazine easily enough. Let's see a couple of photos of your magazine so we can determine better what you already have.
As far as tracing the gun's history, without specific "unit markings", that is doubtful. About all we know for sure is that it was made in 1914 and went to the German army.
dju

gaedfly 12-11-2018 05:35 AM

Thanks very much. I appreciate your comments about bluing because I learned something, not enough to just check numbers. I've been looking for so long and have rarely found anything around here for less than $2000. I paid $1100 for this one. Guy had 2 of them. The other was a 1910 for $1200, much more pitted, with matching numbers and a period magazine but not matching. Seller is a gunsmith, took this one completely apart and showed me that all the numbers inside match as well.

I'll post some pictures of my magazine later today. It's just a repo with a black plastic bottom but it works perfectly, feeds well. I shot about 20 rounds of S&B as soon as I got it home just to make sure it's functional, works perfectly. Seller said the triggers tend to be spongy but the trigger is better than on most of the new guns I have. Again, thanks for taking the time to take a look and to comment.

DavidJayUden 12-11-2018 08:10 AM

At $1100 you did fine.
dju

mrerick 12-11-2018 09:37 AM

You'll find our forum's FAQ PDF document by following the "FAQ" link at the top of every page. It's got quite a bit of detailed information about Lugers, markings, variations and other history. It's the accumulated knowledge of the forum gathered over many years.

You should check the side plate to verify it's matching. The exterior number will be the last digits of the serial number. Inside the plate, toward the bottom where the trigger bar hinge is located, you'll find numbers that should correspond to the first digits of the serial number.

It's got a fair amount of finish wear. Normally the trigger, receiver locking bar, safety and extractor are a golden color "strawed" finish, accomplished through heating and quenching the parts. Over time this straw can fade to more black in color, and that may have happened with your Luger.

I see your listings to buy a magazine and loading tool. My recommendation is to take some time, enjoy the Luger you have bought and spend the money on some of the reference books. The best available today is the Sturgess book published by Bob Simpson at Simpsonltd.com. It seems expensive, but is worth every penny.

Welcome to the forum,

Marc

Sergio Natali 12-11-2018 11:01 AM

Welcome to the forum from Italy.
We have a lot of good and knowledgeable people on this forum.
You can't go wrong with a LUGER.

gaedfly 12-11-2018 01:01 PM

Thank you Marc, good advice. I'll take a look at the book you suggest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrerick (Post 321502)
You'll find our forum's FAQ PDF document by following the "FAQ" link at the top of every page. It's got quite a bit of detailed information about Lugers, markings, variations and other history. It's the accumulated knowledge of the forum gathered over many years.

You should check the side plate to verify it's matching. The exterior number will be the last digits of the serial number. Inside the plate, toward the bottom where the trigger bar hinge is located, you'll find numbers that should correspond to the first digits of the serial number.

It's got a fair amount of finish wear. Normally the trigger, receiver locking bar, safety and extractor are a golden color "strawed" finish, accomplished through heating and quenching the parts. Over time this straw can fade to more black in color, and that may have happened with your Luger.

I see your listings to buy a magazine and loading tool. My recommendation is to take some time, enjoy the Luger you have bought and spend the money on some of the reference books. The best available today is the Sturgess book published by Bob Simpson at Simpsonltd.com. It seems expensive, but is worth every penny.

Welcome to the forum,

Marc

gaedfly 12-11-2018 01:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Pics of the magazine

DavidJayUden 12-11-2018 01:35 PM

Any markings on it? I'm thinking that it is a DWM mag with an aftermarket bottom.
dju

gaedfly 12-11-2018 01:56 PM

Side plate exterior is definitely marked 48. Inside numbers are almost impossible to make out. With my loupe with blue light on I think I can just make out a 6 and 9, which is good. In the bottom next to the horizontal rod of the trigger bar hinge is a very clear 9. At least it looks like a 9 to my untrained eye.

Bottom of the barrel is marked Bö.29. Under that is the SN, and under that is 8,82.

There are some other markings I have to research but every other number inside is 48.

That's as far as I've gotten. The book you suggest is a bit too pricey for me right now but I'll read whatever else I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrerick (Post 321502)

Welcome to the forum,

Marc

gaedfly 12-11-2018 02:01 PM

No markings whatsoever, went over every mm with my loupe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJayUden (Post 321513)
Any markings on it? I'm thinking that it is a DWM mag with an aftermarket bottom.
dju

DonVoigt 12-11-2018 08:13 PM

The book(s) may seem pricey, but we are talking about $1000+ pistols, right!

$250 for the three volume set would be the best money spent if you consider acquiring another Luger. JMHO.

As a substitute, and for free, just read all the threads on this forum - there are hundreds and go back years. There is great info, good pictures, and will keep you from asking the same questions that have been answered many times.

The Bo29 marking is for the Boehler steel lot number used in the barrel, also somewhere in the stickys I believe, but for sure in the books. :)