LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Early Lugers (1900-1906) (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   a well-used 1900 Test Eagle (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41652)

spripple33 03-05-2022 11:04 PM

a well-used 1900 Test Eagle

10 Attachment(s)
Meet the newest (unplanned :D) member of my Luger family: Test Eagle s.n. 7006. This serial number is on the Bannerman list and is also noted by Michael Reese in his book, 1900 Luger U.S. Test Trials (my thanks to Spangy for noticing this).

It has led a hard life, having been re-finished long ago and apparently used quite a bit since. The barrel, toggle-train and side-plate are mismatched to the frame and to each other but are numbered in the same font, leading me to believe this may have been one of the trials guns used in the interchangeability test. The barrel s.n. is 6247, which is not on the Bannerman list, but is in the generally accepted range. This would seem to confirm this s.n. as also part of the original 1000 gun delivery?

Any and all thoughts and comments are welcome. Thanks!

-Jason

Mac Cat 03-06-2022 09:14 AM

Looks well cared for and your photos are very good, too !

jeb111 03-06-2022 09:29 AM

I like it! . Shouldn’t we see more Test Lugers like this? Mismatched and used looking. After all when the testing was finished and all the pistols recalled they were gone through and worn parts swapped out with good ones from other worn pistols. I am no expert on Test AE’s but to me there is no doubt about this pistol being one and so desirable by collectors even it being refinished! Congrats, I am envious!
Jim

Ron Wood 03-06-2022 09:35 AM

Thanks for the update on #7006, I've added the info to my records. Not a bad looking example even considering the refurbishment. A nice addition to any collection. Well done.
Ron

cirelaw 03-06-2022 11:28 AM

Sweet~~~

spangy 03-06-2022 03:16 PM

Nice one Jason :thumbup:

Finally in your hands and what a beauty. :D

Norme 03-06-2022 08:31 PM

Nice one Jason. I don't know much about Test Lugers, they're not my field, but your photos are excellent!
Regards, Norm

spripple33 03-06-2022 10:13 PM

Thank you everyone for the kind words! :cheers: Ron, if you need/want any further details or pictures, I'm more than happy to oblige.
-Jason

MFC 03-07-2022 12:28 AM

Hi Jason,
Congratulations. Welcome to the Test Eagle Club.
I own #7008... soooo close!
Mine is also on the Bannerman list.

PS. Does anybody know where 7007 is?

DonVoigt 03-07-2022 09:18 AM

Nice find, and great picts as others have said !

To the point:
This would seem to confirm this s.n. as also part of the original 1000 gun delivery?

I don't think so, at least not definitively; the upper could have been changed at any time and by anyone prior to the refinish. That the font is the same would be expected within that serial range.
JMHO.

However, the mismatch does not detract at all from the fact you have a test luger lower. :)

spripple33 03-08-2022 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 343368)
To the point:
This would seem to confirm this s.n. as also part of the original 1000 gun delivery?

I don't think so, at least not definitively; the upper could have been changed at any time and by anyone prior to the refinish. That the font is the same would be expected within that serial range. JMHO

Don,

I agree with you and that's why I said "would seem" and phrased it as a question. I am very interested in ALL opinions on this specific aspect of this Luger- good, bad or indifferent.

I am not nearly as knowledgeable as you or many others here about such things so I am hoping this post will help me and other "newbies" learn about this Luger specifically and test eagles in general... I will just give my reasoning on why I think this is the most likely explanation.

I find the axiom that the simplest explanation is the most likely one to be true. This Luger possibly being one used in the interchangeability test IS the simplest explanation. It being assembled by Bannerman out of test eagles too rough to sell as complete guns is the second simplest.

I think it would be an AMAZING coincidence if, sometime after it was sold by Bannerman, the frame just happened to get matched up with an American Eagle barrel/receiver that has no commercial proofmarks and is also in the generally accepted test eagle s.n. range AND with a toggle assembly that also has no commercial proofmarks. It would almost have to be done with knowledge and intent.

If the person who matched them up then restored it, why would they then actively use it, knowing it's desirability? Quite a bit, judging by the almost complete lack of bluing on the grip straps and frame rails. The refinish looks very old and the mismatched parts look like they have all been together for a long time.

Respectfully,
-Jason

DonVoigt 03-11-2022 12:17 PM

Jason,
all that is true; but given the number of "boosted or improved or outright fake" lugers and the $$ value of certain varieties- logic does not always apply.

I said "at least not definitively", so until that serial number shows up in period documentation it is suspect to me, and its provenance is unknown. The fact that the upper is over 100 numbers before the first documented Test Eagle does not help.

I agree it could have been done with knowledge and intent; but intent to what ?
Perhaps as you speculate: repaired in service; or maybe just a luger lower restored for shooting, at some time in the past with a close numbered upper?

The person who "repaired or restored" that lower - may or may not have known it had any desirability other than being a "luger". JMHO

All that said, even a well worn old model with a TE lower is very nice to have ! ;)

spripple33 03-11-2022 08:56 PM

I am very curious as to what condition it was in when it was "authenticated" and included in Mr. Reese's book, since he only recorded the serial number.
-Jason

Edward Tinker 03-11-2022 10:00 PM

Interesting - the mismatched barrel leads me to thinking it is more likely to be a test than not.
When you read the original documents, it states a couple of times of guns being gathered, and parts scavenged from other guns from the ones purchased.
Clark and Dwight have been looking into this for a number of years, I am hoping they get further information - although Dwight posted a comment recently on the test lugers.

DonVoigt 03-12-2022 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Tinker (Post 343476)
Interesting - the mismatched barrel leads me to thinking it is more likely to be a test than not.
When you read the original documents, it states a couple of times of guns being gathered, and parts scavenged from other guns from the ones purchased.

Clark and Dwight have been looking into this for a number of years, I am hoping they get further information - although Dwight posted a comment recently on the test lugers.

It would me too, IF the upper number were in the recognized/reported range and not over 100#'s before. :confused:

jeb111 03-12-2022 05:06 PM

Don I am confused, the barrel #6247 falls within the Bannerman range doesn't it? i also see that in Scott Meadows book U.S. Military Automatic Pistols that the range is listed at approximately 6000-7500. I know these #'s can be construed as conflicting. but couldn't the barrel and upper come from a cannibalized Test Luger? Am I missing something?
Jim

Dwight Gruber 03-13-2022 02:57 PM

Please re-read this and adjust your expectations accordingly https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthr...st+eagle+chaos

--Dwight