LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Holster Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Info Added: Brown luger shoulder holster - more info see post #7 (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=36773)

DonVoigt 03-02-2017 09:11 PM

Info Added: Brown luger shoulder holster - more info see post #7

7 Attachment(s)
This shoulder holster fits a luger perfectly and came with a 1920s rework luger in it.

I'm interested in your observations of style and type as to vintage and area of likely production.:confused:

Fairly thin but good leather, nice tight stitching. Looks to me like it had a belt strap at the toe when new.

Jerry, what can you see?

Thanks for any info/comments; post your similar holster if you have one.

abukafura 03-02-2017 10:11 PM

Don, did you purchase the Luger as well?

DonVoigt 03-02-2017 10:14 PM

Yes,
thread will follow on the luger.

Since holsters and lugers are easily separated or brought together- I have no "conviction" that they "belong" together.

wlyon 03-03-2017 09:47 AM

Don
I have one very close to yours. The stitching on yours looks German to me. My guess German Commercial made 20's-30's. We will see what our expert Jerry says. Bill

DonVoigt 03-03-2017 02:59 PM

Thanks Bill,
waiting for Jerry to weigh in.

lugerholsterrepair 03-04-2017 11:13 PM

Don, The stitching on yours looks German to me. My guess German Commercial made 20's-30's. We will see what our expert Jerry says. Bill is right on the money in my opinion.
The stitching type is with no doubt of that era. The tip of the closure is pointed more than the WW1 era..closer to the 30's they became less blunt and more pointed. German for certain. Saddler shop one of order I suspect.
The strap keeper has noticeable quality..The body is molded. A pretty advanced Saddler made this. The buckle is a little different than a military but a roller type and what you would expect to find on a commercial piece.
I agree..there must have been a chest strap attached to the toe..When it either fell off or was taken off it would be a big job to re attach it. So it likely wasn't done for that reason.
Nice find!

DonVoigt 03-05-2017 09:39 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Thanks very much for the comments and views.

Now what if I said it had a Death's Head on it? The DH itself looks to be the same age as the holster to me, and the die used to stamp it was well made- JMHO.

A DH fits right in to the time frame of 1920-30s. As does the proofs on the luger that came in it.
A picture of the luger is also shown. You can also see more on the pistol at this link:
http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...h-Head-marking

Question is why the DH on the holster ?
I can think of some possible reasons:
-Old minenwerfer vet had it made
-plain clothes detective with nefarious connections:rolleyes:
-some important person's newly formed body guard:eek:

You can no doubt add more. Another question of origin and purpose we can likely never answer , but interesting holster for sure.

Comments and speculation welcome.

Diver6106 03-06-2017 03:47 PM

The forehead area of the skull on the holster is not smooth or blank like on many DH. It almost appears like it could be runes or old German alphabet characters? Also being in back, it is not meant to be readily seen. In wartime, they were very flashy.

Back in the mid 50's in La Ferte'-Alais France, we had a landlady who was with the resistance and hid downed flyers in her basement. But she had a check post just outside on the road. She was very impressed by the dress and manners of the Wehrmacht, even as she smuggled notes out in her hair.

lugerholsterrepair 03-06-2017 04:15 PM

Question is why the DH on the holster ?
I can think of some possible reasons:
-Old minenwerfer vet had it made
-plain clothes detective with nefarious connections:rolleyes:
-some important person's newly formed body guard
It's a Navy! a pirate owned it!

DonVoigt 03-06-2017 04:31 PM

Thanks guys.
Jerry,
that possibility had escaped me, but sounds plausible; all those commercial shipping raiders were little more than pirates- right?

lugerholsterrepair 03-06-2017 04:47 PM

Don, In all seriousness..The holster is with out doubt of the period. The stamp reminds me of a Tandy Leather stamp I remember..But I can't believe it's anything but a fantasy stamp. But that's my own lunkheaded opinion. I have recently been reminded I am not as smart as I think I am. We all need some humility from time to time so it could just as well be real of some sort for all I know.

DonVoigt 03-06-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 299807)
Don, In all seriousness..The holster is with out doubt of the period. The stamp reminds me of a Tandy Leather stamp I remember..But I can't believe it's anything but a fantasy stamp. But that's my own lunkheaded opinion. I have recently been reminded I am not as smart as I think I am. We all need some humility from time to time so it could just as well be real of some sort for all I know.

Thanks Jerry,
You are of pretty much the same opinion as I am- skeptical but
"never say never".:confused:

I am satisfied the holster is good; but also the stamp was not added yesterday; but I can think of no reason to put a DH on the back of a shoulder holster.:rolleyes:

George Anderson 03-07-2017 08:14 AM

The holster looks to me to be sattler made for a G.I. during the post war occupation. I've seen death heads on military holsters and they look nothing like this one.