LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Commercial Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   DWM Commercial Database Available (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=14277)

Dwight Gruber 03-31-2006 12:37 PM

DWM Commercial Database Available

The DWM Commercial database I have been amassing for the last two years is now available for download. It has over 4,000 entries, spanning the serial number range from the first 1900 commercial series guns through the end of the 5-digit number system, and continuing through the v suffix of the Alphabet Commercials. Many of the entries include characteristics of the guns themselves when available.

The database, in .pdf format, can be accessed by clicking this link:
http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...ugers-V1.2.pdf

It is a rather large file so be patient, it will take awhile to appear in the computer window. You can download and save it to your own computer by right-clicking the link (PC with Windows).

The database includes material from many sources. I would like to thank Ron Wood for providing an early Luger database, as well as his Test Eagle database; also Doug Coffey for passing along the Dave Soracco database.

Thanks particularly to all of the participants in the online Luger Forum, Jan Still's Gunboards Luger Forum, the NAPCA forum and Auto Mag, and patient gun show table-holders who graciously provided information about guns from their collections for this survey. This could not have been accomplished, particularly in so short a time, without the existence of the internet and the kindness of all of you who have helped this project along.

The downloadable file itself is being hosted on the Luger Forum. The single location means it will be much easier to maintain and upgrade. Thanks very much to John Dunkle for his gracious offer to host it. Thanks also to Ed Tinker and John Sabato for their assistance in file conversion and actually making the file available.

I still seek data on DWM Commercial Lugers to expand this database. If you have a Luger which is not represented here, or if you can provide additional information on any guns already listed, please post the information here or email me, dwightg@pacifier.com . I appreciate being sent full serial numbers; hidden-number xx submissions are not useful as data points.

I will be posting updates to the database occasionally, as significant amounts of new data are added.

This database incorporates a large database compiled many years ago by Dave Soracco, which has a comprehensive alphabetic code describing features of the entries, for which there is no key. If you know the whereabouts of Dave Soracco, or have a copy of this database and know the key, please contact me.

I have derived a great deal of satisfaction from putting this database together, I hope you enjoy it and I hope it will be of assistance the next time you examine or determine to buy a DWM commercial Luger.

--Dwight

jamese 04-01-2006 06:31 AM

Dwight,

Thank you for all your hard work

Jim

Don M 04-01-2006 12:13 PM

Dwight,

An outstanding job. The collecting communitiy owes you a debt of gratitude.

David Jackson 04-22-2006 10:11 PM

Dear Dwight;

What a resource! What a lot of work also.

I have one gun on the list with one bit of data missing; # 67010 is an 06 Eagle. Somehow that part got shifted out by the proof I think.

David Jackson

Dwight Gruber 04-22-2006 10:51 PM

David,

Thanks very much for the correction.

--Dwight

tau-delt 04-25-2006 02:11 PM

Dwight......... Thanks for the very good work.......... dave

wlyon 04-25-2006 04:43 PM

Dwight Nice piece of work. Thank you. Bill

tau-delt 05-09-2006 09:23 AM

Dwight...... Found another in my data base that you are not showing. It is #67913 and was a 1906 Commercial....... dave

Dwight Gruber 05-09-2006 11:34 AM

Dave,

Thanks much for the number. Any other associated info--9mm? proof? GERMANY? etc.??

--Dwight

cirelaw 06-07-2006 09:12 AM

'D' the MAN, if you cant find them, no one can!!!!!!

Hoyt Weathers 07-11-2006 03:24 PM

Dwight,
I have sent to your e-mail address the SNs and other info on the pistols for two commercial Lugers not in your database.

Hoyt Weathers

sambuscemi 07-11-2006 08:24 PM

Dwight: I am going to have the opportunity to inspect a 1st issue DWM Swiss Military with an unrelieved frame. It's serial is one of the serials listed on your list. Does this mean that serials for comercials and military could be the same? Do you have any insight into this. Or could it be my commerical was made/numbered and proofed into a Military? Your input would be appreciated.

Dwight Gruber 07-11-2006 09:08 PM

Sam,

Swiss Commercials and Swiss military are separate serial number ranges, there will definitely be pistols in their respective ranges with the same numbers. Swiss Commercial have c/BUG proofs; Swiss military have a Swiss+ along with a +/V left receiver proof.

I've made every effort to ensure that only Swiss Commercials are in the Commercial database.

--Dwight

sambuscemi 07-14-2006 11:15 PM

Dwight: I appreciate your input, thank you.

Big Norm 08-08-2006 02:09 AM

Dwight,
a new recent addition to my AE collection is a 1906AE serial number 31029, no bug proofs, serial # on the bottom on the take down lever. It has a strange looking stick "S" under the barrel centered and just above the serial number. Shallow. The gun is 30 caliber and has 'GERMANY' on the front of the frame.

I was comparing this gun to another 1906AE that I posted with you a while back (serial #63108). Missing from your database info is the 'lazy' crown n's on the left side of the receiver and just crown n's on the left side of the front and second toggles and also centered above the serial number under the barrel.
Big Norm

Dwight Gruber 08-08-2006 02:35 AM

Norm,

Thanks for the additional info. I'm curious as to what the stick S really looks like. Also, is 63108 GERMANY stamped?

--Dwight

Heinz 08-08-2006 07:30 PM

I have just had the chance to look closely at this. It is very interesting. An excellent piece of dedicated reporting.

(I had however hoped you would have pictures of all the witness marks :-)

Big Norm 08-11-2006 06:02 AM

Dwight,
yes, my 1906AE serial 63108 is 'GERMANY' stamped.
Big Norm

Aaron 08-11-2006 06:37 PM

Dwight, I have two mint 1920 commercials not on your list, both .30 cal.,
blank wood mags, no Germany markings on either one, s/n 5024n and s/n
9860n

Dwight Gruber 08-12-2006 04:00 AM

Aaron,

Thanks much for the additions. Upright c/N on both left receivers?

--Dwight