LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   "Boosted" into shooter category? - But look further! (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41366)

ithacaartist 09-20-2021 12:11 AM

"Boosted" into shooter category? - But look further!

:crying: "Militarized"?

A perfectly good Alphabet Commercial...well, used to be.

https://www.proxibid.com/DWM-Luger-3...ation/63950365

Does the Erfurt mag dull the shame? :rolleyes:

gunnertwo 09-20-2021 12:53 AM

Plus the nearly 20% buyers premium!

No thanks!

G2

Doubs 09-20-2021 01:43 AM

Did you miss the "SU25" stamp on the right receiver? Several examples came up when I searched and each was in the same serial number range of the g suffix code.

The SU25 stamp has nice halo as does the barrel serial number and the digits on the rear toggle link. The only serious question I have about it is the serial number on the front of the frame. There's no halo and the area where the serial number is stamped appears to have been ground some.

The electro penciled numbers are very neat and while I may be wrong, I think there's more to this Luger than someone trying to fool anyone. Check the short thread linked below.

DonVoigt 09-20-2021 09:09 AM

Doubs is on to something, this is not just "boosted"; but likely a rework of some era. JMHO.

Edward Tinker 09-20-2021 11:38 AM

normally I'd attribute this kind of marking to the DDR - it is odd - never seen anything like it. And all of these on-line auctions are higher than most credit cards percents :)

Doubs 09-20-2021 12:05 PM

I did a little research in my Gortz & Sturgess red books and there is a paragraph addressing the SU markings on page 475.

To summarize, the SU stamp with two digits between 25 & 40 were used by the Spandau repair depot to mark commercial pistols that were converted to military specs by adding numbers in the military style, or had major repairs or were built up from spare parts. The SU stamp is the H. Za. identification and the two digits indicate the year the work was done.

The subject pistol appears to be a legitimate pistol and not boosted.

schutzen-jager 09-20-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubs (Post 341206)
I did a little research in my Gortz & Sturgess red books and there is a paragraph addressing the SU markings on page 475.

To summarize, the SU stamp with two digits between 25 & 40 were used by the Spandau repair depot to mark commercial pistols that were converted to military specs by adding numbers in the military style, or had major repairs or were built up from spare parts. The SU stamp is the H. Za. identification and the two digits indicate the year the work was done.

The subject pistol appears to be a legitimate pistol and not boosted.

posted listing link clearly states that it is in .30 caliber so it was not converted to any German military specs at Spandau repair Depot -

Doubs 09-20-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schutzen-jager (Post 341207)
posted listing link clearly states that it is in .30 caliber so it was not converted to any German military specs at Spandau repair Depot -

Please go to page 476 in G&S red books. It clearly shows that .30 caliber Lugers were indeed converted to military specs at Spandau repair depot.

gunnertwo 09-20-2021 09:59 PM

I wonder if the description of caliber is correct? The method of numbering is very well done. Perhaps it is in 9mm?

G2

ithacaartist 09-21-2021 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubs (Post 341202)
Did you miss the "SU25" stamp on the right receiver? Several examples came up when I searched and each was in the same serial number range of the g suffix code.

The SU25 stamp has nice halo as does the barrel serial number and the digits on the rear toggle link. The only serious question I have about it is the serial number on the front of the frame. There's no halo and the area where the serial number is stamped appears to have been ground some.

The electro penciled numbers are very neat and while I may be wrong, I think there's more to this Luger than someone trying to fool anyone. Check the short thread linked below.

Thanks for the link. I did notice the SU stamp, and had a recollection--albeit fuzzy-- that it is legitimate. What threw me was the electro-pencil work in lieu of number stamp. I agree that the numbers were carefully/skillfully executed.

Doubs 09-21-2021 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithacaartist (Post 341211)
Thanks for the link. I did notice the SU stamp, and had a recollection--albeit fuzzy-- that it is legitimate. What threw me was the electro-pencil work in lieu of number stamp. I agree that the numbers were carefully/skillfully executed.

Thank you for calling our attention to it. I find it to be a very interesting variation of the alphabet Lugers. By researching it, I also learned new information.

Eugen 09-21-2021 05:29 AM

I never ceased to be amazed at the collective collaborative effort demonstrated on this forum to carefully study Lugers.
:bowdown:

schutzen-jager 09-21-2021 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubs (Post 341208)
Please go to page 476 in G&S red books. It clearly shows that .30 caliber Lugers were indeed converted to military specs at Spandau repair depot.

if converted to German arsenal specs they would be in 9mm + not .30 as is the one in listing - 3 3/4" bbl. ? - the electro pencil marking seem very dubious to me - does not appear to be arsenal quality at all to me -

jeb111 09-21-2021 08:56 AM

I dug into my G&S green volumes and found the same information just different page #’s. Interesting information on an obscure Luger variant. Fun to find a pistol like that posted for sale and then dig up facts found in a small corner of a multiple volume reference book to learn it’s authentic. Good catch Doubs most collectors would have missed that one!
Jim

spangy 09-21-2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schutzen-jager (Post 341207)

The main thrust of Doub's observations has nothing to do with this pistols caliber. It has to do with the addition of 'military' marks in accordance with military specifications.

The 'conversion' is not one of caliber but one of converting a commercial Luger into a military Luger as per military standards.

Myself I do agree that the "electro pencil marking seem very dubious to me - does not appear to be arsenal quality at all to me - " however I have seen this done on Luger's in the past.

It strikes me as odd that the rear toggle is stamped 20 and then the remaining spots are electro-penciled.

Still something 'fishy' with this gun but I like it. The question to me is if this gun was legitimately altered or unscrupulously altered. I can see both possibilities as being true so back to square zero for me.

As for the 3.75" barrel ... Treaty of Versailles mandates that ... After all Su/25 indicates the alteration occurred in 1925.

Thanks Doubs and schutzen-jager ... spirited debate is a good thing.

Doubs 09-21-2021 11:25 AM

This is only my opinion but the electro-pencil work on the subject Luger is better than average. It takes a fair amount of skill to use the electro-pencil and maintain scale. I've used them a few times and by comparison the person who etched that Luger was a Rembrandt.

It would also be interesting to know where the "miliitarized" commercial 30 Lugers were employed. To whom were they issued?

schutzen-jager 09-21-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spangy (Post 341216)
The main thrust of Doub's observations has nothing to do with this pistols caliber. It has to do with the addition of 'military' marks in accordance with military specifications.

The 'conversion' is not one of caliber but one of converting a commercial Luger into a military Luger as per military standards.

Myself I do agree that the "electro pencil marking seem very dubious to me - does not appear to be arsenal quality at all to me - " however I have seen this done on Luger's in the past.

It strikes me as odd that the rear toggle is stamped 20 and then the remaining spots are electro-penciled.

Still something 'fishy' with this gun but I like it. The question to me is if this gun was legitimately altered or unscrupulously altered. I can see both possibilities as being true so back to square zero for me.

As for the 3.75" barrel ... Treaty of Versailles mandates that ... After all Su/25 indicates the alteration occurred in 1925.

Thanks Doubs and schutzen-jager ... spirited debate is a good thing.

the military specs + standards would have been only 9mm for that arsenal + not .30 - iirc the 3 3/4" regulation was mostly ignored with the exception of some new production , my post 1920 Weimer reworks have 4" -

Edward Tinker 09-21-2021 12:10 PM

Except --- there were 30 luger guns used by railroad and other organizations in germany

I knew about the SU - but the inscribed numbers is in no way normal, looks like much later work. Any new numbers at a depot or unit, I have seen were stamped.

spangy 09-21-2021 12:40 PM

Not to mention the Swiss used militarized 30 cal Luger's but yes, I agree Ed, the inscribed numbers is in no way normal and in my mind opens the door to knowledgeable faker's but who knows I was not there and I have seen these carefully inscribed numbers before. It is also possible these numbered Luger's are from the same counterfeiter. Again who knows, Luger's have become a high dollar game and where there's money there is possible deception.

I want to make it perfectly clear that in no way am I counting Doubs theory out, Doubs is one of the most knowledgeable members here and I have learned so much from him here @ the forum. The fact is I am just on a fence with this gun ... I am hoping that Doubs assessment is correct but my spidey senses are tingling. LOL

schutzen-jager 09-21-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Tinker (Post 341224)
Except --- there were 30 luger guns used by railroad and other organizations in germany

I knew about the SU - but the inscribed numbers is in no way normal, looks like much later work. Any new numbers at a depot or unit, I have seen were stamped.

iirc

they were not military organizations at that time + did not require military specification weapons -