LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Holster Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Auction find board stock (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=39340)

Olle 02-17-2019 03:20 PM

Auction find board stock

5 Attachment(s)
Scored this board stock at a local auction yesterday. I found it in a pile of misc. junk holsters and gun rugs, and I must have been the only one spotting it since the bidding ended at a very modest price. It seems like the previous owner put some kind of leather treatment on it, there was a waxy residue in all the nooks and crannies and some of the white, powdery stuff that you get with some treatments. It cleaned up good though, and it looks pretty nice now after some detail work with a soft toothbrush. The leather is nice and soft, the iron is unnumbered and the holster is for a standard barrel Luger.

I will probably sell it to help finance some other purchases, but I have no idea of what something like this will bring. I couldn't find any good references on the net, but I'm sure somebody here will be able to tell me an approximate value. Looking at the aging, I'm guessing that this is an original rig but would like your opinion on that as well.

George Anderson 02-17-2019 03:34 PM

Don't like to be the bearer of bad news but, none of it is original. Try to get out from under it for a tad over $100.

Olle 02-17-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Anderson (Post 323282)
Don't like to be the bearer of bad news but, none of it is original. Try to get out from under it for a tad over $100.

Really? I'm certainly not an expert on these, but if it's a reproduction it would be a pretty old reproduction. I got the whole lot for $55 (which included this, a standard Luger holster and a early post war P.38 holster) so I'm not hurting regardless, but it would still be interesting to know how you can tell that it's not original.

George Anderson 02-17-2019 04:02 PM

All the leather is typical reproduction. The stock is made of pine.

HerrKaiser 02-17-2019 04:29 PM

May be repro, but doesn’t that still work if you wanted a cheap stock for a shooter artillery if you have one?

Olle 02-17-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrKaiser (Post 323285)
May be repro, but doesn’t that still work if you wanted a cheap stock for a shooter artillery if you have one?

It's for a standard barrel Luger, but I'm sure somebody will want it for a shooter. I paid next to nothing for it, so I might even keep it for my own shooters. :cheers:

George Anderson 02-17-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrKaiser (Post 323285)

That's why they exist. Affordable alternatives to the real thing.

lugerholsterrepair 02-17-2019 05:06 PM

It's for a standard barrel Luger, but I'm sure somebody will want it for a shooter.

But one must keep in mind..this setup mated with a standard short barreled Luger could be frowned upon by authorities.

DavidJayUden 02-17-2019 05:33 PM

It is interesting that the holster is purposely made for use with the stock and straps, but is also made for a 4" barrel. Kind of like it is intended for sale in countries without silly SBR or "gangster" weapon laws.
dju

Olle 02-17-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 323288)
But one must keep in mind..this setup mated with a standard short barreled Luger could be frowned upon by authorities.

I wouldn't sweat it. There's usually a lot of confusion regarding the stocks even among collectors, so I doubt a police officer or an ATF agent would get themselves into a convoluted discussion about the dos and don'ts, different Luger models, original vs repro and so on. They usually have bigger fish to fry, so debating an old Luger with a board stock won't be their top priority unless they are extremely bored that day, or if you happen to use it to rob a liquor store. If they saw you at the range with it, they would more than likely just look at it and tell you it's a cool, ol' rig.

Of course, this is not a recommendation or legal advice, it's only my own opinion. I just think the risk of getting busted is infinitesimal, so I don't mind enjoying my shoulder stocks now and then.

lugerholsterrepair 02-17-2019 07:32 PM

Just sayin..It always pays to be aware of your six.

Olle 02-17-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 323294)
Just sayin..It always pays to be aware of your six.

Absolutely. Any responsible gun owner needs to be aware of what the law says, so this topic needs to be brought up now and then. I can safely ignore it though, since I live out in the sticks and can shoot in my own back yard. The local deputies aren't very well versed in the finer details of ATF's regulations either, so I don't need to worry much about it. :)

DavidJayUden 02-17-2019 09:54 PM

To me the only thing worse than violating federal gun laws is going on the internet and discussing it.
dju

gunbugs 02-17-2019 11:40 PM

The First Rule about "Fight Club"....Is you NEVER TALK about "Fight Club"....

Edward Tinker 02-18-2019 12:05 AM

I bet it'd go for over $100 to 150 on ebay ;)

all depends on whose buying that day, but stock and holster it'd go fine...

Olle 02-18-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Tinker (Post 323303)
I bet it'd go for over $100 to 150 on ebay ;)

all depends on whose buying that day, but stock and holster it'd go fine...

Well, I don't have any money in it and I like the "vintage" looks of it, so I might keep it. There was a 1939 Luger holster (although pretty dry and hard) in the pile and I also found that one of the "duds" is actually a scarce Star B holster, so it was a good buy regardless. :)

Lugerdoc 02-18-2019 02:32 PM

Olle. It sounds are though your did well with your purchase. Your repro Lpo8 stock is only technically legal to be used on an 8"barrelled LPO8, but the Finns did use these as you have set up, with their 7.65x98mm 20 commerical lugers. Unfortunately, the only rigs that seem to be legal with a less than 8" barrel, must have the Finn made holster. TH

Olle 02-18-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugerdoc (Post 323312)
Olle. It sounds are though your did well with your purchase. Your repro Lpo8 stock is only technically legal to be used on an 8"barrelled LPO8, but the Finns did use these as you have set up, with their 7.65x98mm 20 commerical lugers. Unfortunately, the only rigs that seem to be legal with a less than 8" barrel, must have the Finn made holster. TH

The funny thing is that neither the holster or the stock will work with an LP08. The holster is for a standard barrel, and the recess on the right side of the stock stops exactly at the bottom tip of the holster as well. The whole thing seems to be purposely made for a standard barrel Luger, which makes me wonder what they copied when they made it...?