LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Import mark (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41775)

jeb111 05-24-2022 06:29 PM

Import mark

I saw today that Simpson's Ltd posted a first version 1937 S/42 Luger for sale for $1895. Looks to be all matching minus mag and grips but the finish looks pretty decent but unfortunately they put their import mark on it. It's pretty indiscrete, behind the lanyard loop but it's too bad they have to do that especially to a more harder to find Luger. I guess there is no way to remove the marks without having to touch up the reblueing? I wouldn't think so but what hurts the value mor the import mark or the touched up reblue?

Jim

spangy 05-25-2022 11:38 AM

If the import mark bothers you, as it would me, remember that this model Luger exists in many other places 'unmarked'.

I find many times that I have had to practice patience and sure enough my wait pays off.

It is a crying shame that these historic vessels are disfigured by ridiculous laws in many countries. :(

Happy hunting Jim

Edward Tinker 05-25-2022 01:12 PM

I have found with the influx of SKS / K98's / P1's / P38 / Lugers / M1 carbines / M1 Garands that have been imported into the USA the last 15 yrs. I feel that as time goes forward, a discrete import marking will not affect value as much. But to collectors, it does matter.
Look for other models if it bothers you, or the risk of them Not increasing in value.

Mac Cat 05-25-2022 01:43 PM

I won't buy another Luger with an import mark, myself.
I have just one and it's over the serial number on the front of the frame.
I find it very distracting and it wasn't even applied straight or level.

However, I do like the way a few importers (Simpson LTD) are using lasers to etch the required statement in very tiny font, under raised edges that you can't see without looking very closely. It's very subtle.

wlyon 05-25-2022 01:56 PM

As to an import mark or a touch up bluing. Both will affect the value. Which the most is up to the collector. I personally would not buy one with either. There are still lots of correct lugers. Just be patient and one will show up. Bill

gunbugs 05-25-2022 02:57 PM

If done discreetly, as Simpson's does, then it isn't too bothersome to me. I view it as just another part of the pistol's "history". After all, many pre-war exports were marked"Germany" before they left DWM. I find that equally as bothersome, but it doesn't keep me from buying a gun that I like. Don't worry about "resale value". If you only buy guns that you think will go up in value, then you are buying for the wrong reason, in my opinion. I can look in my safe, and only see guns that I bought because I liked them. Some were "bargains", or at less than what I thought were market value, but that wasn't the deciding factor in their purchase. A discreet import mark is not a deal killer for me.

jeb111 05-25-2022 06:19 PM

I wasn't looking to buy this Luger, just thought it was kind of a shame that a pistol like a early 37 had a recent import mark applied. If I was in the market for that type of Luger the import mark would put me off. I believe that if there was no import mark it would have sold already as we all know that early 37's are highly sought after. Import marks on some Lugers don't bother me especially early DWM's and I do have several military surplus rifles with indiscrete IM's that don't bother me at all. But I did want opinions on what were the thoughts of removing the marks and doing a touchup blue job and several of you gave the answer I thought.

Jim

joncon 05-25-2022 07:19 PM

Is it legal to remove import marks?

Yakman 05-25-2022 09:42 PM

The only thing you cannot remove or alter is the serial number. On a Luger that would be the number on the frame. The frame is the gun.

No, I'm not giving legal advice.

Jack

tomaustin 05-25-2022 09:55 PM

some of the marks I have seen are very bold/deep and not intended to be removed without visible damage................

Edward Tinker 05-25-2022 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomaustin (Post 344323)
some of the marks I have seen are very bold/deep and not intended to be removed without visible damage................

That is essentially what it says in the BATF regulations that I once read. I have been surprised at the small, discrete import markings the last 5-10 years. Went counter to what ATF was making importers do during the SKS / AK parts time frame.

MikeP 05-26-2022 03:14 AM

Pretty sure it is a violation to remove import marks.
Been discussed in many forums over the years.
No idea of who or how it gets enforced, if ever.

DonVoigt 05-26-2022 10:04 AM

I would buy a truly rare luger with an import mark ; a common one like a '37 Mauser - no.
As folks have said, there are plenty of others around.

cirelaw 05-26-2022 02:17 PM

A prior discussion on import Marks Value~~ https://www.lugerforums.com/threads/...-marks.121855/

cirelaw 05-26-2022 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A Great Article On Explaining Markings!!!! https://www.ammoland.com/2013/10/gun...#axzz7UQ4StfEc

MikeP 05-26-2022 04:30 PM

I am now past acquiring anything.
If I was, I would be picky regarding import marks.
Rare pieces merit thought.
The old mantras about waiting, patience, and chance are wearing thin and merit consideration on their own.
My BYF 41 in 1963 is a different animal in 2022.

cirelaw 05-26-2022 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine are all virgins!~

sheepherder 05-26-2022 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbugs (Post 344316)
I can look in my safe, and only see guns that I bought because I liked them.

+ 1. :thumbup:

This is why I don't consider myself a 'collector'. It doesn't matter if they don't follow a common connection. I just liked them. :)

(And even if it mattered, it wouldn't matter if it mattered). :D

Kiwi 05-27-2022 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
I can look in my safe, and only see guns that I bought because I liked them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepherder (Post 344336)
+ 1. :thumbup:

This is why I don't consider myself a 'collector'. It doesn't matter if they don't follow a common connection. I just liked them. :)

(And even if it mattered, it wouldn't matter if it mattered). :D

+ 2. :thumbup:

Yakman 05-27-2022 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeP (Post 344328)
Pretty sure it is a violation to remove import marks.
Been discussed in many forums over the years.
No idea of who or how it gets enforced, if ever.

If it were illegal to remove an import mark, it would seem one could not remove and replace a barrel, for example, if the mark were placed on that barrel.

Jack