LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   New here (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41451)

lrb1200 11-04-2021 03:51 PM

New here

Discovered photographing to the level of detail
needed for evaluation isn't a cakewalk.

I'm not a cell phone camera guy.

But, looking for some insight to what is the "white" stuff
that I see applied to highlight the stampings in numerous
photographs I've viewed?

It must obviously pose no risk to the finish in use
or removal.

Thanks.

gunnertwo 11-04-2021 04:21 PM

It's called a "white stick" and can come in several colors. It can enhance markings but can also obscure original markings in determining originality or refinishing. I choose not to use it for the items in my collection.

Welcome, great and helpful folks here.

G2

Neil Young 11-04-2021 04:24 PM

Welcome Chicago Burbs.

ithacaartist 11-04-2021 04:38 PM

Sometimes the markings are highlighted with gold, too. It's mostly used to make them show up better, but sometimes they're used to cover up the nuances displayed by markings that have been faked--pantographed, acid etched, laser cut, or hand engraved. These are stamped, and displace metal when applied. This raises the surfaces directly surrounding the markings. This interruption of the original grain of the metal induces the "halos" found to have developed over time around stapmpings that were executed after the rust bluing process on original guns.

Since the guns never left the factory with anything more than the "Gesichert" filled in with off-white enamel, the stuff filling the markings can be a variety of things--basically whatever sticks in the recesses of the markings and helps them show up. Paint--either lacquer or enamel--is used. "Dial enamel" is wax-based and used to highlight recessed markings on dials...or whatever. One could also rub a white Crayola or a white lumber marker into a warm gun's stampings and buff off the excess with a soft cloth.

Most techniques for highlighting are safe enough for the finish. What you have to be careful about is removing them. Absolutely avoid any abrasive methods, as well as techniques for removal using anything acidic, both of which will remove the finish. Organic solvents such as acetone should be fine, along with a soft toothbrush or the like.

spangy 11-04-2021 05:13 PM

As ithacaartist has pointed out only the "Gesichert" was factory filled.
Other members here have called all other 'white' fills as putting 'lipstick on a pig' and in that regard I agree.

If you must use a white filler for whatever reason the cheapest and easiest to remove later on when you have regained your senses is 'white out' typewriter correction fluid.

To each his own but if Luger manufactures thought that white filled proofs would be a good idea they would have 'made it so'. JMHO

Edward Tinker 11-04-2021 09:00 PM

Here in the New Collector area is a FAQ - check it out, has many questions

Vlim 11-05-2021 12:44 AM

White filling helps to create the contrast needed when photographing guns. Especially so in the older analog days.

mrerick 11-05-2021 07:57 AM

Note that anything that fills the markings can also be obscuring the details of the markings themselves, and any manipulation that may have been done to them.

It is very common for a person that restores Lugers to use an engraver to enhance or restore markings. This would be clear if you could see the profile and detail of the marking, and that detail would not be visible if covered with the residue of a lacquer stick or marking pen.

Take photographs in indirect (shaded) sunlight with a camera that can be properly focused and which you can adjust for exposure and you'll get the best pictures. That's especially true in today's world of digital photography and high dynamic range sensors.

Also, use care with acetone. It can dissolve or soften the bristles of some toothbrush construction as well as the shaft. Start with isopropyl alcohol. Follow cleaning with a preserving gun oil.

cirelaw 11-05-2021 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I Use Laquer stick, easy on, easy off! https://www.amazon.com/lacquer-stick...lacquer+sticks Don't leave on for prolonged time as it can become permanent over time!

Curly1 11-05-2021 11:27 AM

Welcome to the forum

wlyon 11-05-2021 08:59 PM

Welcome. Nice people here. Bill

ithacaartist 11-06-2021 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spangy (Post 341804)
...when you have regained your senses...

I must ask... When would that ever happen with folks who love Lugers? :D

cirelaw 11-06-2021 01:42 PM

I'm still in Luger Love!

4 Scale 11-29-2021 12:56 PM

Gortz and Sturgess says the original fill material was wax.

I find highlight material helpful for dressing up a shooter. It distracts from imperfections; the rougher the shooter the more it helps. For collectibles I don't use highlights.

Eugen 12-05-2021 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 Scale (Post 342086)
Gortz and Sturgess says the original fill material was wax.

Wax!? I didn't know that. Interesting.
:confused:

schutzen-jager 12-06-2021 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
welcome aboard =

i use Craft Decor chalk writers - available at Dollar Tree stores - some people shy away from filled markings - these can easily be removed with plain water after pictures -

Mac Cat 12-06-2021 09:18 AM

I think I read that some people were using a white crayon a while back.
Never tried it, but it sounds safe enough.

Proofed 12-06-2021 09:38 AM

picture taking

I have found that if you are trying to photograph small details or marks sometimes they come out better if you back out a little with the camera/phone and use the zoom function to zero in on the desired spot, it works pretty well most of the time. try to prop your hands up or rest the camera to hold it steady while zoomed

Proofed 12-06-2021 10:02 AM

picture zoomed in detail

1 Attachment(s)
[url]http://forum.lugerforum.com/attachment.php?

1912 erfort

Proofed 12-06-2021 10:33 AM

sight pic

This sight is on a 1912 Erfurt luger. in 1913 the hold open was added and acceptance marked at the location. At the same time the front sight was changed from a 100 to a 50. The witness mark can be seen that locates the blade on the right side. There is also an acceptance stamp from the Erfurt armory (that did the modifications as mandated). It is to the left of the blade and not very visible it would have been a good candidate for highlighting before photographing.
If I do this I use a grease marker made to write on glass it comes off very easily and doesn't damage anything.