LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Site Technical Help or Site Feedback (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   A small problem with current/old posts (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=39419)

rhuff 03-12-2019 04:09 PM

A small problem with current/old posts

Perhaps it is my computer, but I am finding new threads/posts with no "red box" on the left side of the page. Also, finding 2-3 day old posts with a "red box" on the left side of the page.

In other words, I can't glance at a page and see whether there are new threads, or posts like I was able to do before the recent upgrade. I have to look for the dates of the thread. Is this the new format? Just wondering. :confused:

Thanx

Edward Tinker 03-12-2019 07:09 PM

I do not remember seeing the red dots.

However, I always, always click on Quick Links >>> Todays Threads

DonVoigt 03-13-2019 09:10 AM

The box at the left of the forum title will be red if there are new posts.
I still get the red box on my computer.
So either there are no new threads for you, or you have a "special" personal problem.

Mac Cat 03-13-2019 09:34 AM

In the default view of the Message Board,
there are check boxes along each major topic.
The box is red if there is someone viewing or un-read posts.

You can double click on the red box and it will clear.

I think the idea was to quickly show you where there was new activity.

It works for me and if you view the forum a lot, you might not see the red boxes very often.

(you may need to clear your browser cache locally or use a different browser)

John Sabato 03-13-2019 10:20 AM

You may have also inadvertently logged out. If you look at the top right corner of the webpage, if there is a place to log in instead of you name, you have to log back in to see the "red" dots that indicate new posts. Make sure you click the box that says "keep me logged in"

Edward Tinker 03-13-2019 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What view do you guys use? I do NOT see any red dots....

It goes from read or unread - i.e. highlighted or unhighlighted

THIS is what I see - it is RED if not viewed, but its also very obviously highlighted (darker font) before being read.

sheepherder 03-13-2019 02:28 PM

Is the software upgrade still being tinkered [sorry for the pun] with???

I just tried to quote a members post in a post of my own and the quote did not appear...I tried several times, and I did successfully quote another member in the same post and that quote did appear...

... :confused: ...

Edit: It concerns any of G.T.'s posts...I can't quote any of them, even going back a week or two...

rhuff 03-13-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Sabato (Post 323942)
You may have also inadvertently logged out. If you look at the top right corner of the webpage, if there is a place to log in instead of you name, you have to log back in to see the "red" dots that indicate new posts. Make sure you click the box that says "keep me logged in"

Thanx John, but I usually stay logged in. Sometimes I will get a red dot/box when there is a new/unread response to be read(normal/correct), but sometimes I get a red dot/box when there is a 2-3 day old thread with no new responses.......also, I see a new thread/response, and there is no red box/dot. It is very inconsistent since the upgrade.

This is quite different than the way it has been for me/my computer on this forum. I was just wondering if it is only me.

sheepherder 03-13-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhuff (Post 323958)
I was just wondering if it is only me.

No. Threads I have read keep showing up with the red mark, even though I have read them. The red mark used to disappear after reading. :grr:

John Sabato 03-14-2019 03:15 PM

Perhaps you should try clearing all your cookies and then logging back in. See what affect that has...

rhuff 03-14-2019 07:15 PM

John,

I clear all of my cookies everyday when I log in. I have logged out of this forum, and then logged back in with no change. It is a mystery!!

DonVoigt 03-14-2019 08:56 PM

My "red boxes" continue to work as they always have- another mystery of computers! ;)

sheepherder 04-17-2019 11:35 AM

I hadn't noticed until a few days ago, but my 'stored messages' which numbered a couple hundred, have been reduced to twenty-two. One page worth.

I'm guessing the recent upgrade affected the message functions as well as the other disruptions. :(

I've also noticed that read posts are no longer flagged as read unless I leave the forum. Until then, they are still red-flagged as 'new post' even if I have read them. :grr:

rhuff 04-17-2019 03:26 PM

My "problem/situation" on read and not read post(red box) has not changed since the upgrade. I thought that it had cleared up/corrected itself, but it has not. I conversed with John D. and he was trying to find the problem, but apparently, he didn't find it. Perhaps it is just my computer, and it is something that I will just have to live with.......so be it!!

sheepherder 04-17-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhuff (Post 324858)
My "problem/situation" on read and not read post(red box) has not changed since the upgrade.

That is what I referred to as 'red flagged'. They remain red even when they've been read and I've left them to go to another thread, or even another forum. :rolleyes:

mrerick 04-17-2019 09:02 PM

Do you navigate back to the list of items with the browser's "back" control (often a left pointing arrow) or with the forum software's "New Posts" navigation.

The "Back" will probably return to the prior list view without any updates by presenting the page from your browser's cache copy of the prior page. "F5" often will refresh the list from the server.

Marc

Vlim 04-17-2019 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Red dots.

Edward Tinker 04-17-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlim (Post 324864)
Red dots.

oh, okay - this doesn't show you new forum posts, but that someone has posted new in THAT forum. The difference is, that 6 people may have posted in the holster sub-forum and only one in military ...

sheepherder 04-17-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrerick (Post 324863)
Do you navigate back to the list of items with the browser's "back" control...

Only when I see (from the main forum page - NOT the main site page) that there are, say, three new thread posts in the entire forum. Then I'll read one, hit back, and read a second, then back, then the last. Otherwise, I start each viewing session from the main forum page ( http://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php ) which should only show me new posts since I last viewed the forum. But it shows threads/posts I read earlier, and subsequently left lugerforum for another site - eBay, GB, Still's forum, etc.

I suspect others have the same occurrence but it's such a small price to pay for the privilege of participating in the LugerForum that they don't bother mentioning it. :D

Edit: Tried the F5 refresh - it didn't work.

Fla.Mallard 08-24-2020 11:26 AM

I expected the red dots to go away after I read the posts therein .. NOPE, red dots stay unless I go to "mark this forum read" and click on that.