LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Luger Accessories (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Holster question (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42288)

Judge Fox 08-26-2023 05:14 PM

Holster question

7 Attachment(s)
Acquired this holster last week at a local gun show. Quite solid condition, appears original finish is black, well-made, utterly unmarked, size for 4-inch barrel Luger. All metal is brass. What is it? My uneducated guess is Portuguese, but what do I know. Meant to be suspended from the strap without provision for a shoulder stock? Thanks for your help.

lugerholsterrepair 08-27-2023 01:29 PM

Portuguese

Ben M. 08-28-2023 09:26 PM

4-3/4" barrel, also

Judge Fox 08-29-2023 11:04 PM

Query: is this particular rig supposed to go with a wooden stock, like friend Burney's, shown above? It has a buckle on the end of one of the suspension straps, which I illustrated, that doesn't seen to navigate through the slots in the wood.

lugerholsterrepair 08-29-2023 11:53 PM

No Sir. This holster cannot be nor was it ever intended to be attached to a stock. It was sans stock and meant to be worn withe the strap across the shoulder. No provision for a stock. No way to attach one.

MFC 09-01-2023 12:44 AM

I have been seeing these rigs at shows and on the web for several years. They all have a mag pouch that is too short for Luger magazines. No one seems to know why.

My no count, dumb a$$ theory is that these were intended to go to the Portuguese Navy. The Portuguese Navy Lugers have 4" barrels, and the holsters were worn with shoulder straps. Except for the straps, the holsters on these rigs are exactly the same as the M2 holsters which are made for 4 3/4" barrels. The holster should be 3/4" shorter, NOT the mag pouch. Someone got the directive wrong and probably had a shortened career. There are no arsenal or acceptance stamps because the Navy didn't accept them, and subsequently they were sold on the commercial market.

lugerholsterrepair 09-01-2023 10:25 AM

They all have a mag pouch that is too short for Luger magazines. No one seems to know why. I sure don't cause what could they be for?

reiver 09-01-2023 12:39 PM

MFC, that's as good an explanation as any....

Vlim 09-01-2023 03:26 PM

Hmm. I have a LP08 style double mag pouch that takes P38 mags perfectly. Could these actually be P38 holsters?

A bit weird with a tool pouch. But try a P38 mag?

lugerholsterrepair 09-01-2023 07:12 PM

My no count, dumb a$$ theory is that these were intended to go to the Portuguese Navy.

OK let's say this is true..did the Portuguese Navy use WAY short Luger mags?

MFC 09-01-2023 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 348224)
My no count, dumb a$$ theory is that these were intended to go to the Portuguese Navy.

OK let's say this is true..did the Portuguese Navy use WAY short Luger mags?

No. I said they were supposed to shorten the holster by 3/4"... not the mag pouch (someone screwed up). If the holster were shortened instead of the mag pouch, it would be perfect for a Navy rig.

I'm not sure but I think the pouch is too short for a P-38 mag also.

reiver 09-02-2023 12:14 AM

Gee, I've never heard of military contractors making a mistake (lmfao) :)