LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Unit Markings (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   marking "G.P.O.2" on 1913 Erfurt police (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=39840)

Joe in Colorado 08-20-2019 06:18 AM

marking "G.P.O.2" on 1913 Erfurt police

5 Attachment(s)
I'm new to Erfurt and Police Luger markings, could a member please ID this marking? Thank you, Joe
PS: Has the takedown lever been remarked? The type style of the numbers is slightly different.

DonVoigt 08-20-2019 09:57 AM

TD lever- a likely replacement, as you point out- different font, and no Erfurt acceptance mark.

G.P. is GemeindePolizei according to Don Maus in History Writ in Steel; the O. could be Osnabrueck.

On page 319 he lists G.P.O.1. , also an early P08 with no lug, including its holster, matching mags.

Joe in Colorado 08-20-2019 06:53 PM

Thank you Don, and an important follow-up question please. If the TD lever was replaced during the pistol's military or police service life it would not bother me so much as if it were a forgery or mismatched part number re-matching over the years with a non-Erfurt part. Have you seen parts arsenal replaced with the correct number but different font applied and of course no original Erfurt proof mark? Thank you again! Joe

Edward Tinker 08-20-2019 07:29 PM

I'm not Don, but my 2 cents.
The wrong takedown lever could be refurb, could be post war replacement. It is very hard to ever know. Police lugers are given more latitude among collectors than say an army one.

Depending on the price and the pictures look very much like from a dealer, then I would say likely not cheap, but I like the unusual unit marking (rare, I have never seen one in person), very nice condition and the 1913 date.

Ed

DonVoigt 08-20-2019 10:56 PM

What Ed said. ;)

Joe in Colorado 08-21-2019 05:53 AM

Thank you both so very much!!!

I have received so many benefits from this forum over the years from members kindly sharing their experience and knowledge. I could not hope for more authoritative information!

The pistol is from a dealer and has not arrived yet. I sent the dealer an email asking for a modest price adjustment, I can also return the pistol.

Best Wishes, Joe

Joe in Colorado 08-22-2019 05:53 AM

8 Attachment(s)
I spent some time online looking at Erfurt takedown levers, attached are screen shots of seven including several police reworks, along with the photo of mine again. Unlike my pistol these all have smaller type faces than the nearby side plate and all have Erfurt proof marks. I will return this pistol.

dz 08-22-2019 07:16 AM

take down not a big deal, nice luger

HerrKaiser 08-22-2019 08:35 AM

For a Luger of that overall quality with that unit mark, the TD lever is something that I would overlook.

DonVoigt 08-22-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe in Colorado (Post 327349)
I spent some time online looking at Erfurt takedown levers, attached are screen shots of seven including several police reworks, along with the photo of mine again. Unlike my pistol these all have smaller type faces than the nearby side plate and all have Erfurt proof marks. I will return this pistol.

It all depends on the $$ you paid; if you paid for a "matching" luger, then return it.
At the "right price" I'd keep it, but you will have to decide what the right price is to you. JMHO.

Joe in Colorado 08-22-2019 01:54 PM

Thank you all again for your comments. The Luger was $1850 before shipping and others fees.

Don M 08-22-2019 02:25 PM

If it were me and I was still collecting, I'd keep it. But, then I am a police property marking nerd!

Joe in Colorado 08-31-2019 05:45 AM

By the way, this pistol is available for sale again now at Legacy Collectibles, cheers, Joe.

DonVoigt 08-31-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe in Colorado (Post 327459)
By the way, this pistol is available for sale again now at Legacy Collectibles, cheers, Joe.

It was sold and now is not?
Want to share what happened?

Joe in Colorado 09-01-2019 09:16 AM

Yes, I bought this pistol and returned it.

I read and valued member's comments that the td lever was not so important but it did bug me personally so I found another Erfurt police rework, see below.

The above pistol is in return transit now so if anyone is interested this is a good time to contact the seller, Legacy Collectibles, Kurt or Chris, it was $1850 and I obtained their permission to mention this on our forum.

I did buy and should soon receive the 1913/1920 Erfurt double date in my more recent posting-the one with the markings on the side.

Best Wishes, Joe