LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Early Lugers (1900-1906) (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Two test eagles (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=38437)

Mike B 04-01-2018 05:21 AM

Two test eagles

For information only. I am not associated with or attempting to enhance their business.

Collectors firearms in Houston has two 1900 Test Eagles:
6485-- Looks correct
6778-- Appears to be restored. Looks like it might be a new number for Ron

Mike

Major Tom 04-01-2018 08:40 AM

Could you provide a link please? I couldn't find them on the website.

Edward Tinker 04-01-2018 10:30 AM

Look under modern firearms, lugers, both are there

Ron Wood 04-01-2018 12:32 PM

6485 has been for sale on their site at that price since August of 2015...it is an excellent professional restoration.
6778 sold at the December 2017 Rock Island Auction. It may have had a little bit of touch up, but overall it is a pretty decent gun. Interesting magazine on this one, it has an upper case "B" under the serial number.

ithacaartist 04-01-2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major Tom (Post 315036)
Could you provide a link please? I couldn't find them on the website.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/dw...luger-pr36041/

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/dw...luger-pr29478/

cirelaw 04-03-2018 11:00 PM

Dave, It you had to chose, which would you chose the original or redone?

sheepherder 04-04-2018 09:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Was the toggle lock originally strawed, like on this 'restored' 1900??? My 1900AE is too patina-ed to tell... :confused:

It seems that the other 'unrestored' 1900 has a strawed toggle lock as well...At least, it hasn't 'patina-ed' like the other strawed parts...

milesc2 04-04-2018 10:06 AM

The toggle lock on my original 1900 AE is strawed.

I was wondering about the safety block / indicator flag. (The tab that comes up out of the frame and blocks the sear bar from moving.)
On mine and all of the original examples I have seen this part is left in the white.

Both of these guns appear to be strawed in this area. That would make me guess the strawed parts on the pistol listed as "original" have been redone at some point.
Also, this "original" pistol appears to have an incorrect front sight.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

ithacaartist 04-04-2018 10:30 AM

The straw color is developed on the top molecules of the piece. Abrasion from handling and probably discoloration from skin oils or whatever wears away the color on the most exposed portions of the parts. Remember, they're still in the white because they don't have the "pre-rusted" protected qualities of the main finish. It makes perfect sense that the toggle lock retains the most straw color because it is submerged within the toggle knob.

The milled areas for indication of "safe" would certainly be susceptible to oxidation and all but the most carefully oiled and stored can't avoid taking on a touch of oxidation/color. It might be possible to detect in-hand a re-do by the difference between an area that has been polished to restore the raw surface there and one that has not (characteristic tool marks, etc.).

DavidJayUden 04-04-2018 10:39 AM

"I was wondering about the safety block / indicator flag."

I always thought the flag was left polished and not strawed, or so it appears.
dju

ithacaartist 04-04-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJayUden (Post 315080)
"I was wondering about the safety block / indicator flag."

I always thought the flag was left polished and not strawed, or so it appears.
dju

The rust blue in the area was skimmed off by milling with an end cutter just enough to remove the finish. The tiny concentric swirls of its progress are there. Whether it was actually polished afterward at the factory, I can't say, but it would seem unnecessary, and might diminish the sharpness of the borders remaining after the cut.

milesc2 04-04-2018 10:57 AM

Ithacaartist,

I seem to have caused some confusion. I was talking about the tab that comes up out of the frame and blocks the sear bar from moving.
I believe this tab should be in the white. It is strawed on both of these examples.

I was not referring to the milled out area under the safety lever that should also be in the white.

DonVoigt 04-04-2018 01:07 PM

The part of the safety that blocks the sear is always( dangerous to use in regard to lugers) in the white when original, on any model.

I don't include Swiss and Mauser 1970's vintage in this sweeping statement! ;)

ithacaartist 04-04-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milesc2 (Post 315084)
Ithacaartist,

I seem to have caused some confusion. I was talking about the tab that comes up out of the frame and blocks the sear bar from moving.
I believe this tab should be in the white. It is strawed on both of these examples.

I was not referring to the milled out area under the safety lever that should also be in the white.

OK, got it now. Sorry about what must have been my sloppy reading. Don has you covered, though!

I think mixing the word safety in messed me up. The sear bar block/safety bar would only indicate that the gun is fully on safe for '08 (non-grip safety) models on, right?

DavidJayUden 04-04-2018 10:09 PM

"The sear bar block/safety bar would only indicate that the gun is fully on safe for '08 (non-grip safety) models on, right?"

If I'm getting you right, correct. If the safety bar is down on a P-08, the safety is off and it is ready to fire. If it is down on an earlier gun the safety is off AND the grip safety is compressed, so it too is ready to fire.
dju