LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Holster Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Ideal Luger Holster/Stock (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42452)

G41M 12-28-2023 05:41 PM

Ideal Luger Holster/Stock

10 Attachment(s)
Acquired this Ideal Luger Holster/Stock in late 2022 here locally. It was priced at $1000, but a one-day sale took it to $800. It followed me home.
Referencing Vol 3 of green Gortz & Sturgess p1415-1416 we learn the patent was granted on June 14, 1904, and assigned to the Ideal Holster Company of Los Angeles, California. However, the boxes for the holster/stock had a Toledo, Ohio address for the company. The "Patents Pending" stamping is the only stamp on the holster/stock. In the closed position, the overall length is 11", with the extension arms out, overall length is 14". This example is missing a tiny screw as seen in one of the pictures. As has been correctly pointed out in this forum, the Ideal holster/stock is only legal by BATFE rules with an American Eagle Model 1900, 1902, & 1906. Additionally, you also will need a set of the grip plates for attachment to your American Eagle. Enjoy the pictures.

ithacaartist 12-30-2023 01:48 AM

Interesting...and very nice. The missing screw shouldn't be much of a problem to overcome.

I've seen plenty of pics of Ideal stock/holster before, of ccourse, but this time around I noticed two keyhole-shaped holes in the sheet metal across the top, front side. Does anyone know what the original intent/use for these was?

Ron Wood 12-30-2023 01:56 PM

They are for attaching the belt clip...it is removable and can be attached to either side of the holster.
Ron

Ron Wood 12-30-2023 05:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I do indeed enjoy your pictures, thank you! They remind me of when I acquired my “Ideal Holster”, in much worse condition than yours. It was complete, but a collection of red rust and mostly brown, cracked, leather (the whole holster resembled the muzzle end of your holster in the right-side view). However, on the plus side it did include the metal backed grips. The down side was that one of the two-part right grip metal pieces had come loose and was separate (I silver soldered it back together), and the walnut grip scales were heavily damaged with chunks missing. I wish I had taken photos of the state in which I received it.

The good news is that it was salvageable. The first thing I did was make a wood “plug” to restore and maintain the shape of the leather part of the holster/stock. Then came the refinishing of the leather and metal and replacing the wood scales. A local master engraver touched up the “PATENTS PENDING” marking and I had some beautiful figured walnut to replace the scales. It turned out pretty good and it looks nice displayed with a 1906 American Eagle. Enjoy my pictures!
Ron

Edward Tinker 12-30-2023 10:55 PM

That is a great, great price!

G41M 12-31-2023 08:59 AM

Ed,
The store actually had two Ideal holster/stocks for sale. The other was for a vintage Smith & Wesson revolver, and as I recall about $2695 to buy. Similar condition as this one.