LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic & Other Firearms (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   "Broom Handle" (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=10845)

Ballistic 10-31-2003 10:12 AM

"Broom Handle"

Mauser model 1896, 7.63mm sn31457, small hammer ring, Bolo Model, 4" engraved bbl., red 9 on grips, nmbrs match, 95-98%. Original not re-blued. Being offered to me for $2,500.00. What do you guys think without seeing or touching it?

Vlim 10-31-2003 10:27 AM

Hmm,

If it's a red-9 gripped thingie and it's chambered for 7.63, doesn't that mean that either the grips or the barrel are alien to the gun?

Navy 10-31-2003 10:42 AM

Engraved bbl with Red 9 grips??

Sounds like a Frankenmauser to me.

Tom A

Roadkill 10-31-2003 10:51 AM

$400.00. Max.

rk

Ballistic 10-31-2003 02:05 PM

I thought that may me the case. Thanks for the input. But it is a beautiful Pre-WWI gun.

John Sabato 10-31-2003 03:58 PM

:rolleyes: Hey TAC,

I am in a position to supply all the Parrot poop you may require... so don't be concerned about measurements or amounts... Our Eclectus Parrot named Pietro produces exponentially more than he takes in in food. I don't have any idea how he does it. :confused: :D

Sieger 10-31-2003 06:15 PM

Dear Friends:

This is totally off topic, but is there a Broom Handle Forum floating around out there?

Sieger

Hugh 10-31-2003 06:49 PM

Sieger,

Try this:
http://www.northwest-denture.com/mauser1896/index.htm

Jack Lawman 10-31-2003 09:44 PM

Kyrie Ellis moderates a C96 forum on Yahoo Groups:

Yahoo C96 Forum

You have to register for it, but it's pretty good. Kyrie is very knowledgeable and has helped me out a lot with a red-9 broom and an E suffix P38 I should have by Christmas.

Here's an interesting exchange between Kyrie and another C96 collector:

Kyrie's P-Lax C96 discussion

Thor 11-03-2003 03:24 PM

Just got a set of NILL replacement grips for the Broomhandle Mauser. Best I have seen so far!

Michigan Gunner 12-25-2003 06:18 PM

Way to much money in as described condition. Someone is try'in to retire on one sale!

I would have to agree with Roadkill.

Lock and Load! :D

Doubs 12-25-2003 07:41 PM

The consensus that the grips are incorrect for a pistol chambered in 7.63mm is correct. I'd have to have a close look at the pistol to determine if the bluing is original. I'd also want to closely examine all parts to make sure nothing is cracked or worn and there are several places where these pistols can crack. The web of the action body just below where the hammer is at full **** is one place and the bolt block (the piece that the firing pin passes through and that secures the bolt in the slide) is another.

If it checks out and the pistol is in the condition you describe, then my only disagreement with the other posters is the value. I'd say the pistol - as described - is more in line with $600 - $700. The pieces of junk I see at gun shows are priced in the $400 range, although I readily admit that I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for them.

I have an all-matching Chinese-issue C-96 Broomhandle with un-numbered holster/stock that has had the barrel and chamber arsenal relined. The finish is easily 95% plus and I'm torn between an arsenal refinish and original finish. The markings and edges are sharp and clean and it doesn't appear to have been buffed. I wouldn't take $750 for the gun alone.

But, there's no way the gun you describe even comes close to $2,500. That's simply fishing for a sucker. I have an idea the owner is aware of the true value and I think I'd avoid doing business with him just on the principle that he's trying to screw someone..... unless you know for a fact that he's simply not aware of the value. Just my opinion.

John -Melb 12-25-2003 09:04 PM

Hey John, I laughed reading about your problem with Pietro the Parrot. Sounds very much like a problem a friend of mine has with his dog.

He says it's a really good little Jack Russell, he just wishes the bloody thing would give the Rottweiler it's bowels back! He swears the t#*ds are bigger than the dog!