LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Krieghoff Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Chrome "1936" HK (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=28377)

krendo 05-27-2012 01:55 PM

Chrome "1936" HK

I recently acquired a "1936" HK,, it looks like every HK Ive found online, The only catch is mine is chrome. It was passed down from my grandfather who was in WWII. I was trying to look it up and have not been able find another like this one. Was wondering if anyone had some information about it? I would guess its rare?

Edward Tinker 05-27-2012 02:05 PM

It is 'rare' in the sense that it is Krieghoff, it is not rare that it has been chromed, this ruins all the collector value.

ed

krendo 05-27-2012 02:17 PM

The thing is

All the gun serials and emblems seem so clear and stamped. When you chrome something from my understanding you loose a lot of the detail. I do appreciate your your expertise. I didn't know what to think

alanint 05-27-2012 02:54 PM

Think that Ed is absolutely correct. NO Luger EVER left the factory chrome or nickel plated. No matter how much the dealer trying to sell it to you or your neighborhood expert insists that it was made for the Navy and designed to resist rust, or it was issued to Hitler's Personal Honor Guard, etc. These were plated by GI right after the war because it was in fashion and people had no idea that the pistols would one day be rare and sought after.
Still, Chrome Lugers are developing a following and an HK chromey would certainly be a conversation piece.

zinfull 05-27-2012 03:27 PM

It would get the talk out of Luger collectors. Be sure to have a box of tissue handy.

jerry

George Anderson 05-27-2012 03:42 PM

Kenny, all may not be lost. Since it is a Krieghoff if will have better than average value from a starting point. Plating can be professionally removed and the proper finish can be professionally restored. That done it will still not have the same value as an original but...
Since a family member brought it home you might find the veteran's paperwork permitting him to bring it home. This slip of paper would increase the value. Also if the pistol has an original matching serial numbered magazine it will enhance the value.

Edward Tinker 05-27-2012 05:51 PM

and in addition to what Geo said above, do you know any story of how it was brought back? I collect bring back story's and have three volumns so far, working on vol IV

Ed

Sammler 05-27-2012 06:38 PM

"Bring back" vs. original

The fact that a gun was brought back by a veteran does not mean that it is a factory original piece. Yes, there was a post war "cottage industry" in Germany where skilled gunsmiths and metal workers catered to G.I.`s. Most of the plated Luger and P. 38 pistols were done in the immediate postwar era and brought back by veterans. The G.I. had a shiny pistol and the German gunsmith had some U.S. dollars (frowned upon) or some barter goods such as a carton of cigarettes. Many years ago, a longtime MAUSER employee wrote me of a gunsmith he knew who made dies to order and marked guns (mostly K98k`s and a few P. 38`s) with SS markings: runes, skull/bones, etc. for the occupation troops. He said the Americans were "crazy for SS stuff." A veteran bring back from W II--yes. Original--no. As always, BE CAREFUL.

CAP Black 05-28-2012 05:38 PM

It seems to make a difference as to who had it chromed.

From what comments I've read in this forum, if the GI who brought it back had it chromed, it makes a difference to collectors.