LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Remove firing pin for cycle testing / OAL (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41464)

queeg730 11-08-2021 10:07 PM

Remove firing pin for cycle testing / OAL

Folks,
Re checking the OAL for hand loaded cartridges....

is it advisable, and safe, to remove the firing pin from a P08, then to insert a magazine with live rounds, then cycle these through the gun as a test for OAL?

Or would a better method be to load, but NOT crimp a dummy round, then drop it into the barrel from the breech end, then push it forward so it head-spaces ( the projectile will engage on the lands and the case will headspace).
Once it is removed from the barrel, measure and subtract 0.020 to get the safe OAL for reloading?

thanks to all,
Mike

G.T. 11-08-2021 10:28 PM

safety

Hi Mike, I've done it, but don't recommend it! And since then, I have had dummy rounds made up as well. The reasons for NOT using live ammo ever for testing function is simple, we are human! And, back and forth arming and disarming the gun leaves a potential window for disaster! One in a million, still not good enough odds!!!...:eek:... I always, ALWAYS, use dummy rounds, (made for me especially by ruff) AND, I have a dedicated test Luger (for testing mags and drums!) with the firing pin assembly rermoved. Hope this helps with your testing proceedure in the future... best, til...lat'r...GT...:cheers:

queeg730 11-09-2021 12:04 AM

Thanks GT
Yes, I do understand and agree that there is the possibility of human failure, which could be catastrophic!
The main thing I want to achieve is to determine the OAL... Maybe my second method is the one to use, dummy round, no crimp, into the barrel, then subtract 0.020

G.T. 11-09-2021 12:47 AM

chamber and leade

Hi Mike, by loading test dummies, it will be easy to accomplish your task by starting long, and going shorter? If you want to first establish your headspace, you can do this by using a "GO" headspace gauge, or, a shade tree way is to glue or tape shims on the back of an empty and measue with a caliper. you'll find the "GO" gauge measurement allows about .010" (over the length of most all factory brass) in chamber length to accomidate any variances in the brass. For OAL, start by loading an enert dummy / test round at about 1.170"OAL and see if the breechblock closes? It should just snap shut we a little light pressure? Lengthen until it can't, or shorten until it can... Good luck, til...lat'r....GT....:cheers::cheers:

Bill_in_VA 11-09-2021 08:33 AM

If you’re checking COAL of your reloads a set of dial calipers is both safer and far more accurate than cycling the cartridges through your gun. Another issue of concern to consider when cycling cartridges is setback - pushing the bullet deeper into the case mouth. While it won’t affect headspace (the 9mm headspaces on the case mouth), it can affect cartridge pressures as well as feeding reliability.

mrerick 11-09-2021 03:20 PM

Get a cartridge gauge. these are generally designed to show you the maximum correct cartridge overall size and length. As you reload a cartridge, do 100 percent testing of your output with these drop in gauges.

If you want to check the cycling of your Luger, make dummy rounds.

You may want to fill your dummy round have something in the primer hole so that the firing pin had something to stop it. just make sure that the dummy rounds are properly drilled through the case and marked by painting with black lacquer.

Sieger 11-09-2021 05:55 PM

Hi Queeg730,

In the "Shooting and Reloading" section of this forum, I authored a "sticky" entitled "Determining Proper Cartridge Over All Length". After you read and understand it, you will know how to determine proper Luger C.O.A.L., perfectly.

Proper C.O.A.L. for Lugers is somewhat longer than most 9mm ammo is commercially loaded, with round nose bullets, typically loaded to 1.169 to 1.173 inches.

Good luck with your project and if you are interested in loading accurate ammo for your Luger please contact me further.

Sieger

queeg730 11-10-2021 12:28 AM

Thanks to Sieger, mreric and Bill in VA.
I wasn't aware that there was that sticky re "Determining Proper Cartridge Over All Length".
I will of course consult it immediately,
Again folks, thanks for your wonderful information!
regards,
Mike