LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Early Lugers (1900-1906) (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Carbine Hole Mystery Solved~ (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41169)

cirelaw 06-02-2021 10:59 AM

Carbine Hole Mystery Solved~

1 Attachment(s)
There was a question as to why there were holes drilled in both carbine stocks??? Those who voted to lighten the rifle originally were correct! The 1902 model was made for Kaiser Wilhelm who was born with a deformed arm and only fire a light weight, one handed capable rifle to hunt. This design was copied in the 1920 model!!

hayhugh 06-02-2021 03:00 PM

Says who?

cirelaw 06-02-2021 03:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Said myself and agreed by another luger expert and merchant! Assuming lack of use of his left arm at birth his disabilty, The modification made him and able with this modification to allow him to enjoy hunting with one arm! Do you have a better theory? Have you held or examined an original luger carbine, stock attached? It can be accurate with one arm and lightened stock and lighter rifle! With all Do Respect! Eric

Edward Tinker 06-02-2021 04:31 PM

I'd say the theory is good - but more so that I believe a lot of stocks are drilled with a hole or two to lighten the rear. Every ounce counts....

sheepherder 06-03-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirelaw (Post 339335)
Said myself and agreed by another luger expert and merchant!

"Another" Luger expert??? Besides yourself??? :rolleyes:

Your modesty is overwhelming... :thumbup:

cirelaw 06-03-2021 10:26 AM

We reviewed every option! I only explore the options. In law school in 1981 Villanova I was taught the questions are often more important then the answers!! There can be many questions but few answers! Expertise is nothing more than an illusion! If you have any other alternatives, I welcome them, my friend! Thank You For Your consistent Input! Respectively, Eric

sheepherder 06-03-2021 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirelaw (Post 339349)
Expertise is nothing more than an illusion! If you have any other alternatives, I welcome them, my friend!

They could be for *adding* extra weight, just as the XP-100 has provision for adding weight in the form of lead bullets to achieve a more favorable balance.

If you had a bum arm, it might be better to have the carbine back-heavy rather than front-heavy. :)

Kiwi 06-04-2021 08:58 AM

I worked in a developing country for some years.
One of the foreign workers was not popular with management, so management applied to the UN for an "Expert" to replace him.

The UNDP advertised the position, the worker saw the ad, and applied. He was by far the most qualified and the only applicant with experience in that position, ergo won the job.

Management still had the same worker that they did not like, but he was now a UNDP 'Expert' with a lot more money and a diplomatic passport and could buy a car duty free.

He defined expert thus

X as in algebra is an unknown quantity
Spurt is a drip under pressure

So an Expert is an "Unknown drip under pressure"

Management still did not like him

cirelaw 06-04-2021 10:09 AM

Expertise is only a matter of another one or mores opinion! "Opinions are not fact until proven beyond a reasonable doubt" 'Res Ipsa Loquiter'~ Latin, Let The Facts Speak For Themselve~ Old English Common Law

Norme 06-04-2021 11:46 AM

Eric, the facts in this case do not "speak for themselves". The only known facts are that both of your carbine stocks have three holes drilled in them. One can make two inferences from this, an attempt to reduce weight or by the addition of lead plugs to increase weight and thus reduce felt recoil, which I consider more likely.
And incidentally Eric "it speaks" in Latin is spelled "Loquitur" not "Loquiter".
Norm

ithacaartist 06-04-2021 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi (Post 339369)
He defined expert thus

X as in algebra is an unknown quantity
Spurt is a drip under pressure

So an Expert is an "Unknown drip under pressure"

Oh. I thought it meant when you get moved back into the "Friend Zone.":rolleyes:

cirelaw 06-04-2021 12:20 PM

Norm I correct spelling was 50 years ago, a stroke, a permanent subdural hemotoma, resulting in a 6 month coma in Costa Rica and three, 2 ex-wives!! Please forgive me! For the past decades, I have done the best I could! I have always respected your opinions!! You have many more decades of Luger Experience and practical knowledge much more than any of us!

sheepherder 06-04-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirelaw (Post 339376)
For the past decades, I have done the best I could!

And it's still better than any 'Spel Chekr' yet devised. But some of the 'corrections' the various spell checkers come up with are hilarious! :p

Norme 06-04-2021 02:15 PM

Eric, it always irritates me when lawyers roll out a few stock Latin phrases in order to impress the ignorant. As someone who endured high school Latin for five years (a requirement in English high schools back in the 50's), I, for one, am not impressed. The only Latin legal term that gets my attention these days is "in flagrante delicto"!
Regards, Norm

cirelaw 06-04-2021 03:16 PM

Norm, I don't use to impress but to teach what was true hundreds of years ago are true today! Wouldn't you agree! I was a History Major in collage in 1978 and my passion is to share with others what God has granted me and others, including all of us~Thanks to All!

sdmark777 06-05-2021 01:50 PM

This has gone off track from Luger talk. Reminds me of dialogue from the movie Tombstone, between Doc Holiday and Ringo in Latin. The Marshal steps in saying they don't need trouble in any language. Just saying...........:rolleyes:

Ron Wood 06-05-2021 03:40 PM

Funny how these threads take on a life of their own sometimes. :)
Ron

gunbugs 06-05-2021 11:32 PM

In most, if not all cases, the holes in the rear of a buttstock are for holding the stock in the pantograph, or stock carving machine, during the manufacture of the stock. Rods are inserted into the drilled holes to clamp and hold the work from the inside while the outside is cut and carved to shape. (Think BIG chopsticks).That is why there are two, usually, but not always, so there is leverage to rotate the stock while it is being cut. It has nothing to do with balance. It's just an artifact of the manufacturing process. It is common even today in wooden stocks.

cirelaw 06-06-2021 05:59 PM

Thank You`

Fla.Mallard 06-07-2021 04:26 PM

Almost every shotgun stock has a hole to accommodate access to the long screw that hold the stock to the receiver.

In this case that doesn't apply. IMO the holes are there to reduce weight in an ordinarily rear heavy firearm.

Arguments back and forth don't change anything. They just contribute to animosity.