LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Krieghoff Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   unbelievable Find!!! (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=21709)

lugerholsterrepair 05-18-2009 08:01 PM

unbelievable Find!!!

Amazing Photo's posted below courtesy of the computer savvy Ed Tinker..Thanks ED!

Gentlemen, Here is a story that will amaze you...It did me! It will bring hope to all Luger nuts looking for hard to find parts.
A year or more ago I was cruising a site known to have Luger stuff. A fellow comes on with an ad for a 1937 Krieghoff Luger pistol. Of course I am interested even though the pistol is in relatively poor shape. Dented and pitted but not too bad, 75-80% bluing. Rough but hey, I want a Krieg. Thing is..it’s missing the sideplate. . OK, I buy it anyway, get it, open er up and it’s ALL matching. Not one part is un numbered or mismatched. A fascinating piece actually....Well, I think, I would love to find a Krieghoff sideplate to put on this just to sort of complete it. I gotta say... how often have you ever seen a loose Krieghoff sideplate?
I saw one for sale a year later...I’m on the web and it pops up! I immediately Email the seller, I’ll take it! He Emails back, a fellow just bought it a little while ago. I am going ape! I have spent how many thousands of hours on the internet looking for stuff like this and it’ sells to someone else! I beg the seller to sell it to me but he refuses. I finally wise up and ask the guy to tell me the name of the buyer. He does. I write the buyer and ask him about the sideplate, he says he bought it for a G date that was missing one. Thank God he didn’t need it for a Krieghoff! I offer to buy the plate for my Krieg...explain that I have a pistol it could better fit. Nothing...I get curious. I take a good look at the plate and it has 01 for a serial # on the back plate flange as well as the Eagle 2 on the lever & plate. I call our resident Krieghoff expert, Tom Armstrong and discuss Krieghoff serials. He says the # is just where it’s supposed to be. I dig thru my safe and find my Krieghoff. The serial number of said pistol is 7801. This can’t be! I take a look at the front of the plate...Looks right for condition....Could it be? The buyer finally gets back to me..he will trade the Krieg plate for another and an undisclosed, quite reasonable sum. I am overjoyed! Ed Tinker is kind enough to accomodate me with a suitable sideplate and he immediately sends it to buyer. I send $$. Krieghoff sideplate shows up this morning. This IS the missing sideplate from the pistol I bought over a year ago! It fit right on, the blue, patina and a line of pitting all match. The pistol cocks and fires perfectly! Truely an astounding set of circumstances brought these two back together.The original seller told me he bought this sideplate at a local swapmeet and it was in a box with some K98 rifle parts. I have been looking for matching mags for 15 years and have never found anything close. This knocked me for a loop! I guess all the time I spend looking for gun stuff on the internet wasn’t wasted.....I will take some photo's tomorrow...

Jerry Burney

Ice 05-18-2009 08:08 PM

Somebody loves you, Jerry. Have you bought a Lottery ticket this week. Congrats on your phenomenal luck!

Charlie

rolandtg 05-18-2009 10:08 PM

Amazing.
Now, it would be really interesting to find out how the sideplate was separated from the pistol in the first place.

lugerholsterrepair 05-18-2009 10:22 PM

The story told to me a year ago was that the pistol was an estate sale find and the seller was not a gun guy. He couldn't have been or he would not have sold it to me for such a low price. He said it came that way.
I still have a smile so big I have to go thru doors sideways!

Jerry Burney

cma22inc 05-18-2009 10:31 PM

:bowdown: Can you pick some lotto numbers for me!

That is a awesome story!

Oh and PICS please!!!

Don M 05-18-2009 10:34 PM

Jerry, you must be living right. Congratulations!

tharpo 05-18-2009 11:16 PM

Outstanding Jerry!! Gotta love a story with a happy ending.

Tom

John Sabato 05-18-2009 11:17 PM

Jerry, That is absolutely an amazing tale... we have seen some other parts reunited like stocks with artillery Lugers, since this forum was established, but I think this story takes the prize... Congrats!

Edward Tinker 05-18-2009 11:47 PM

A story almost impossible to believe, but of course I know the source and all I can say when I heard it was WOW!

Ed

wlyon 05-19-2009 01:22 AM

Jerry
Amazing story. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Bill

lfid 05-19-2009 02:41 AM

Jerry,

very cool story

thanks for sharing

Bill

Edward Tinker 05-19-2009 03:39 PM

7 Attachment(s)
pictures posted for Jerry the inconcievable uploading dude.

George Anderson 05-19-2009 04:29 PM

Proof that God smiles on the poorest among us.

lugerholsterrepair 05-19-2009 05:03 PM

Thanks fellows! These photo's show with no doubt that this IS the sideplate this Krieg was born with.
I just took it out to my pistol range beside my leather shop and ran a mag thru it. Sweet!!! Trigger pull was delightful, ran all 8 with no problems and shot where I pointed it. It's an ugly old dog but it's the only Krieghoff I could afford.
Like John says...I would like to hear a matching # story that would top this one! I still find it hard to believe....

Jerry Burney

cma22inc 05-19-2009 08:01 PM

Thanks for posting the pictures!

That is one for the history books fellows.

What are the odds of finding the EXACT side plate.

Someone here run the numbers please.

Gotta be a really big number.

Oh and I think you used up most of your lifetime luck allotment on that one Jerry.

I would not be beting on any horses if i were you.

LOL

Lugerdoc 05-20-2009 11:03 AM

Jerry, I Can't top your story, but a couple of years ago at an auction, I purchased a box of misc parts. Before leaving the auction, I determined that I had the matching mag floor plate, spring & follower for a 6 shot conehammer and the original mag for a German STANDARD M1893 pistol both purchased at the same auction by Randy Bessler. I naturally sold him those parts for what I had paid for the whole box, also containing a complete Navy luger rear sight assy and several nice M1900 luger parts. TH

lugerholsterrepair 05-21-2009 09:15 PM

Matt, I don't think my luck ran out on this one but it's got to be low on juice! Like a gambler who wins... I will only be disapointed foreverafter....

Tom, There must be more of these types of stories...Pretty amazing when they do happen.

I wonder how long I will be giddy. Probably everytime I look at this pistol.

Jerry Burney

Went Blakely 05-23-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 159571)
The story told to me a year ago was that the pistol was an estate sale find and the seller was not a gun guy. He couldn't have been or he would not have sold it to me for such a low price. He said it came that way.
I still have a smile so big I have to go thru doors sideways!

Jerry Burney

Hahaha i like that one :D What a fantastic story Jerry, well done mate! :cheers:

MP38 05-27-2009 11:18 AM

Jerry,

An unbelievable story Jerry!:thumbup:

I can't top that one, but I was on the other side of a simular situation a few years back. I was contacted by a member online about a zero series magazine that I had posted photos up with my Zero series P38.
He told me he had the gun that matched my magazine, and asked me if I would be willing to sell it. I did sell it for a reasonable price, and now the buyer has not only one, but two matching magazines for his zero series!!:eek:
I was glad to help out!:cheers:
I just wish that kind of luck would happen to me some day?:rolleyes:

Matt:cool:

OKCShooter 02-08-2010 11:20 PM

The neatest 'find' story I've ever heard!

Just makes that gun more special...