LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Normandy attic find? HUH? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=39918)

lugerholsterrepair 10-06-2019 04:18 PM

Normandy attic find? HUH?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-German-...MAAOSwushdmjfa

This shows the lengths scammers will go to for a buck.

rhuff 10-07-2019 02:10 PM

All it takes is one sucker believing the hype!!

Pistol 10-07-2019 02:43 PM

Well, it does have some sand on it.

Sky Zero 10-07-2019 04:13 PM

out of curiosity, is it a fake holster, or just the made up story bs?

lugerholsterrepair 10-07-2019 04:22 PM

Extremely fake holster James..The story..is just another story.

Sky Zero 10-07-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 328081)
Extremely fake holster James..The story..is just another story.

this is why I only buy from reputable members on here :thumbup:

EdinFla 10-08-2019 12:49 PM

When your Luger salesman looks like this

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...gif&f=1&nofb=1

Hesitate.

Not that I particularly follow that advice myself.

gunbugs 10-09-2019 12:53 AM

As far as looking at the photos, two things stand out to me. The first is the color of the leather on the interior. Too grey. The second, the belt loops are still "round" at the top. They've never been on a belt for any period of time. All my "real" holsters have "flattened" belt loops. But I'm certainly no expert here. Novice at best.

lugerholsterrepair 10-09-2019 01:59 PM

Doug, This thing screams fake from every angle! It's a case study of forget about the story and look at the holster. I bet I could point out at least a dozen RED FLAG pointers. But I am busy packing my stuff for a trip to my Winter compound in sunny Arizona and fretting a forest fire next ridge over..

Current bid:
GBP 160.00 Somebody is going to get a bad spanking here...With shipping that's North of $200 USD. For a (filthy) $19.95 repro! Amazing...
I have heard the Luger market is a tad soft but this proves that NOT TRUE!

Ron Wood 10-09-2019 04:37 PM

Wish I still had a dog, that holster would make a great chew toy if you smeared a little bacon grease on it.

lugerholsterrepair 10-09-2019 04:43 PM

Don't forget to remove the steel buckle for your pet's safety!

Mac Cat 10-09-2019 05:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The belt loops are too high and the left one usually touches the top of the middle stitching row and the pull strap loop stitches. I think it's enough to be highly suspect.

Joop's reference shows the Waffen code WaA170 has 4 manufactures listed (p 667):
Alban Zeitz / bbq Ehrhardt und Kirsten Leipzig 1941 / hsu / bib Otto Graf, Leipzig 1940-42)

The maker stamp looks like "CLEUNERBER GmbH" or "CLEUNERBERG" to me. The first and last letters are messed up. I can't find any references to that business name or leather shop. It may be a copy of a real stamp, but I just can't find anything close to it. Leipsig is close to BAUDTZEN (a real town) - both are near Dresden in Southeast Germany. (I blew up the photo a bit - the other photo is my 1942 DLU from DRESDEN - closest I have).

But, the stamp area is smeared with what looks like black ink or a bad attempt to clean it off or both.

There should be a "." in the "PO8" stamp.

I'm no any kind of expert, but I have thumbed through a few reference books.

Sky Zero 10-09-2019 10:03 PM

Could someone just report this to ebay?

Zorba 10-10-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 328111)
There are no holster(or anything else) police at ebay. JMHO.

If you don't think there are "police" at eBay, try selling a Hermes scarf there...

Sky Zero 10-10-2019 01:34 PM

Well that's unfortunate. I reported him, anyway. Dont think ebay will do anything about it.

lugerholsterrepair 10-10-2019 01:37 PM

My Wife says I am a know it all but what is a Hermes scarf?

An Hermes scarf is an iconic accessory stitched with a strong sense of history and luxury. Silk scarves, cashmere scarves, and vintage scarves by Hermes can be tied in many ways on your body or your handbags and can even be used as decorative pieces at home.

Google to the rescue..I see why that's bad...NOT?

lugerholsterrepair 10-10-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky Zero (Post 328120)
Well that's unfortunate. I reported him, anyway. Dont think ebay will do anything about it.

eBay doesn't know everything about everything. They can't tell real from replica, and just cause YOU say it's one thing..they cannot make any determination towards authenticity. What they WILL kick off is a swastica if you complain about it. But only IF they get a complaint.

Recently a 32 round Artillery snail drum sold on eBay. Not a peep out of them because they don't know what it was! AND no one snitched.

Sky Zero 10-10-2019 02:39 PM

Yea, that's true, but if he decides to sell other counterfeit items in other fields, and more complain, the mounting complaints COULD come down on him eventually. Doesnt hurt to try. Theres a saying in the airline pilot world, if you dont ever write up a broken item, itll never get fixed.

wlyon 10-10-2019 06:02 PM

Only if Donkeys fly!!!!!

Sky Zero 10-10-2019 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 328130)
I just re-read the ad, at no time does the seller claim it is "original"; only that it was found in a Normandy attic, "with magazines" now "turned in".

The implication is there of course, and he does say WW II German holster.

There is even a very small but real possibility that it is genuine- despite our collective expert observations damning it to reproduction status. JMHO.

That's true.