LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic & Other Firearms (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Mystery shell. (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=28379)

andwaahs 05-28-2012 11:17 AM

Mystery shell.

3 Attachment(s)
I wonder do any of you have knowlege with artilery?
This shell has been sitting in my basement for years and I know nothing about it, I suspect its anti aircraft,
The top unscrews and there is nothing inside any longer and it seems to have been fired at some stage judging from the rifling.

alanint 05-28-2012 12:12 PM

The closest image I can find is of a WW1 3.8inch Schrapnnel shell.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page...-shell-casings

andwaahs 05-28-2012 01:47 PM

WW1 anti personel shell,nasty! It does look very similair. I always assumed the timer was for a flak shell, You really do learn every day.
I wonder how it survived in such good shape after firing.

sheepherder 05-28-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andwaahs (Post 213975)
This shell has been sitting in my basement for years and I know nothing about it, I suspect its anti aircraft,
The top unscrews...

Lemme see if I got this right...An artillery shell that you know nothing about is in your basement, you unscrew the top to look inside... :eek:

You win my vote for Bravest Member of Lugerforums 2012!!! :thumbup:

saab-bob 05-28-2012 03:27 PM

Alanint
I liked your link. Guys who collect artillery shells? I bet their wives love that!
Bob

SteveM 05-28-2012 03:57 PM

I have a 155mm RAP round in my garage, only been fired once.

SteveM

andwaahs 05-28-2012 04:02 PM

:cheers:Haha, I see your point, I bought this for a 100 kroner off a little russian guy about seven years ago at a flea market, no idea why realy, it just seemed to interest me. I put it in my back pack and headed over to the pub for the day. anyway I woke up the next day with this thing sitting on the floor with the top screwed off, luckily it had been boiled out a long time ago and I must have figured it was a de-ac due to the barrel scoring.
Since then im married two kids and a lot more cautious what i bring back from a day drinking!

I remember the thing was absolutly stinking though, covered in decades of nicotene tar,.

CAP Black 05-28-2012 05:51 PM

bazaar indeed

As for bazaar stories, those would be hard to top.

Steinar 05-31-2012 10:19 AM

It looks very much like one I have in my cabin. I will take a closer look next time I'm there too be sure.

Acutally.. I use it as a counterweight for a hatch up to the second floor. No idea how it ended up there, I always thought it was something my father found when diving. But when I think of it, that just don't make any sense.. I know he found some shells that where taken care of by the army. But I can't imagine that he would be interested in having one deactivated.. nor did he ever show any interested in it, so it must have ended up there by someone else. I notice andwaahs is also from Norway, perhaps there where several of these deactivated here in Norway some 40+ years ago?

andwaahs 05-31-2012 12:27 PM

Will be interested to see if you have a twin there Steinar.

sheepherder 05-31-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andwaahs (Post 213989)
...I bought this for a 100 kroner off a little russian guy...at a flea market...I put it in my back pack and headed over to the pub for the day...Anyway I woke up the next day with this thing sitting on the floor with the top screwed off...Since then im ...a lot more cautious what i bring back from a day drinking!

Ah, I stand corrected: Let me see if I have this right...

You bought an artillery shell off a Russian stranger, stuck it in your backpack, took it to a pub, woke up the next day with the shell disassembled on your floor...Presumably done while you were..."under the influence"...Yes???

Wow...I'm going to print this out and post it on the squadron bulletin board... :thumbup:

(I was thinking of sending it to the Darwin List people, but you're still alive, so it won't win any prizes)... :(

andwaahs 05-31-2012 03:32 PM

Yes, you got the jist of it. well done....:thumbsup:

sheepherder 05-31-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andwaahs (Post 214151)
Yes, you got the jist of it...

I could open my own Forum filled with all the stupid things I've done while drinking... :thumbup:

Not that that has anything to do with this thread...I'm just sayin'... :rolleyes::p:D

Steinar 07-15-2012 05:58 AM

Attachment 27593
Attachment 27594

Here is that shell I mention above. I know nothing about it or how it got there, just that it's an excelent counter weight ;)

sheepherder 07-15-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steinar (Post 216646)

vBulletin Message
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

The link she don't work... :(

Steinar 07-15-2012 01:23 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Sorry! :o

Here are the pictures;
Attachment 27611
Attachment 27612

Totaly off topic.. here is a man with a pipe and a welcome sign
Attachment 27613

Two little birdies..
Attachment 27614
Attachment 27619

..and the view
Attachment 27615

Ron Smith 07-15-2012 03:50 PM

Kind of a cool shell... Looks to be of pre WWII vintage by the shape of it.

When I was in the Navy, I once woke up in the back of a 1953 Cadillac hearse on a used car lot in downtown San Diego. The lot owner gave me a cinnamon roll and a cup of coffee after he found me.

Don't ask...I don't remember how I got there. Or where I had been the night before.

sheepherder 07-15-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Smith (Post 216667)
When I was in the Navy, I once woke up in the back of a 1953 Cadillac hearse on a used car lot in downtown San Diego. The lot owner gave me a cinnamon roll and a cup of coffee after he found me.

Kewl!!! I spent a year at Camp Pendleton; that sounds like the used car dealer I bought my 1958 Corvette hardtop convertible from...for $600 in 1970...There was some strange cars in that lot...and nobody wanted the Vette... :rolleyes:

I would love to have a 1953 Cadillac hearse to drive my Doberman & Weimaraner around in...I can see it now... :D

(Base Motors at Pendleton had a couple Cadillac ambulances for the Navy Corpsmen; gray not black; I wouldn't mind one of those either!) :thumbup:

andwaahs 10-14-2012 02:31 PM

Almost a twin, same paint too. must have been in Norwegian use, I thought mine was brought in from the east somewhere.

andwaahs 01-26-2013 12:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I found this in the Oslo Military museum this morning, looks an exact match to that one alanint found. No information on it except 1st world war Norwegian artillery shells.

Tho big one by the way is a tall boy bomb dropped on the Tirpitz, I added that as I thought it was so damn cool.