LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Center Toggle Retention Pin (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41327)

P08P38P1 08-25-2021 01:02 PM

Center Toggle Retention Pin

RE 1937 S/42: Newbie to Luger Forum. Would appreciate any advice on replacing the center toggle pin's retention pin. How difficult is it to remove/replace? I received this minty pistol recently. When cleaning/lubing it yesterday, I found the center toggle pin falls out. I can see the retention pin from the underside of the toggle. I appears to be worn or sheared off as it is smooth when probed with a pick. Many thanks.

G.T. 08-25-2021 01:27 PM

middle toggle pin replacement!

H to all, if the little retaining pin is sheared off, (common) the middle toggle pin will generally slide right out? The biggest challenge is going to be removing the remnants of the retaining pin, and finding a proper size replacement. I can help you with both! The biggest culprit on loose toggle trains is the middle toggle pin wear? I just had some new pins made, (heat treated O1 tool steel, hardened to approx. 48 C Rockwell) and I replace them if even a little slop is present? The little retaining pin, I custom fit as I have found a slight taper makes reassembly a nice tight fit... To remove the remnant, I used a narrow tapered pin punch, with the tip being slightly under 1/16" you get a lot better / solid hit on the pin. I drive it from the inside out, on a piece of thick plastic, or supported by a block of lead Let me know if you need my assistance, at: gctomeks@msn.com Thanks and best to all, til...lat'r....GT:cheers:

rhuff 08-25-2021 05:03 PM

OP, GT is your man unless you feel confident and capable of doing it yourself. He has helped a great number of Luger owners on this forum and the other one. He is good to go. :thumbup:

HerrKaiser 08-25-2021 07:51 PM

Seconds on GT. Anything the man breathes on seems to get fixed and somehow improved. 100/100 recommend.

Sieger 08-25-2021 10:18 PM

[quote=herrkaiser;340866]seconds on gt. Anything the man breathes on seems to get fixed and somehow improved. 100/100 recommend.[/

AMEN!!!!!!

P08P38P1 08-26-2021 05:41 AM

Many thanks, G.T. and all for the endorsements. I will contact via your email.

grantman 08-30-2021 02:18 AM

Another vote for GT...he is the Maestro of magazines

G.T. 09-04-2021 11:00 PM

retaining pin issue!

Hi to all! First of all, thanks for the kind words and votes of confidence from my Luger forum family!
Good news from the hobbit workshop... Pin has been replaced and top half is back on its way home! I had an original pin that was used, and it fit great!
Getting the remnant out, was as previously thought to be, difficult indeed! Went thru two Starrett punches... :eek::eek: but we won out eventually!... Best to all, til....lat'r.....GT...:cheers:

spangy 09-05-2021 01:06 PM

In case it needs to be said I whole heatedly agree with and endorse G.T.'s skills ... we all learn much from the master. :bowdown: