LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Swiss Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   long barrels for pistol 06/29 (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=36495)

Stucki 12-23-2016 11:23 AM

long barrels for pistol 06/29

7 Attachment(s)
I could recently buy two long 9mm barrels (170mm and 200mm) for the Pistol 06/29 made by the Waffenfabrik Bern (W+F).

I suppose they were produced, when the Swiss Army conducted trials with the 9mm Luger cartridge during the 1940's.

The W+F also produced 9mm Pistols 06/29 for the commercial market, but normally with 120mm barrels. These pistols are quite rare.

Better known (but also rare) are long barrels variants caliber 7,65mm Luger - some of these pistols were produced for sport shooting.

It would be fun to transfer an ordinary Pistol 06/29 in a 9mm "LP 06/29"... :)

Alexander

cirelaw 12-23-2016 01:39 PM

Pretty~

ithacaartist 12-23-2016 05:34 PM

Alexander,
What a great find! They might be collectible just the way they are, but would look super on any Swiss or early frame grip safety gun. If I'm not mistaken, this combination of barrel length, taper, and sight block style aren't encountered very often in 9mm. I have a 9mm Mauser 29/70 with a 150mm barrel, and I wish it looked like it would with one of these installed! I am envious of the 170mm, to say the least!

Vlim 12-24-2016 08:06 AM

Very nice find!

I have some factory documents on long barrels, will look them up. IIRC these documents discussed some Swiss pistols that were modified with long barrels and then offered on the market as legit pistols for serious money. :)

Stucki 12-24-2016 09:44 AM

thanks Vlim - I would be very interested in all information regarding Swiss modified Lugers!

@ithacaartist: I'm not sure if I will use one of the two barrels for producing a nice shooter - but anyway, a 200mm barrel like a LP 08 would look nice...:)

Alexander

Michael Zeleny 05-20-2017 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stucki (Post 296980)
I'm not sure if I will use one of the two barrels for producing a nice shooter - but anyway, a 200mm barrel like a LP 08 would look nice...:)

You think?
http://forum.lugerforum.com/picture....pictureid=1729

Not a 9mm Para, but I prefer 7.65 anyway. Please let me know if you decide to part with either one of your P06/29 barrels.

Stucki 05-20-2017 06:31 AM

Meanwhile I got also a 200mm barrel, caliber 7,65mm. But still not decided, what to do with the 3 barrels....

Alexander

Lugerdoc 05-20-2017 09:45 AM

I could use one of those trigger lever bending tools. If anyone knows of a source, please advise. TH

DonVoigt 05-27-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugerdoc (Post 303089)
I could use one of those trigger lever bending tools. If anyone knows of a source, please advise. TH

If you know anyone with one or have another or closer picture, I'll make one or two.

I'd like one too.

May be my next "project", would be really useful.

Ron Wood 05-27-2017 11:35 PM

This trigger lever bending tool has been on Simpson's site for years. I seem to recall that it was listed at around $1500 a long time ago. Too rich for my blood at that time and now I have no interest in it.
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...oducts_id=2986
Ron

Lugerdoc 05-28-2017 10:39 AM

Ron, In thinking about the trigger lever tool, this probably would have been useful on levers before they were tempered, but probably crack hardened ones, unless they were first headed to lose their temper. TH

Ron Wood 05-28-2017 12:10 PM

I agree
I would not be surprised to find in the instruction booklet that accompanies the tool it requires annealing the lever prior to bending and then re-hardening as you suggest. The tool provides a measure of precision to achieve the proper angle but not a means of bending a hardened lever.
Ron

DonVoigt 05-28-2017 01:49 PM

Ron,
thanks for the link.

Simple enough to build.

I'd have to do some reading to see if anyone wrote about the mfg/hardening of trigger levers.
If trigger levers are really hard to the point of being brittle-
seems like a trigger pull adjusting tool that required annealing, re-hardening, and then re-annealing to something less than glass hard would not be very useful.

Ron Wood 05-28-2017 03:18 PM

For target shooters precision is a basic need. The Swiss are a nation of marksmen (or at least were and probably still are). Luger marksmen often won or scored well in international competitions. If you look at the effort that goes into making modern day "race guns" you can see that adjusting the trigger pull of a Luger is pretty much commensurate with the detail that is exacted today.

And yes, trigger levers really are hard to the point of being brittle.
Ron

cirelaw 05-30-2017 09:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A Swiss marksman competition medal courtesy of George Anderson~

Stucki 05-31-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wood (Post 303456)
I would not be surprised to find in the instruction booklet that accompanies the tool it requires annealing the lever prior to bending and then re-hardening as you suggest. The tool provides a measure of precision to achieve the proper angle but not a means of bending a hardened lever.

According to the corresponding manual, this tool was used to adjust the trigger lever, when it had to be exchanged - not for adjusting the trigger pull with an existing lever.

New trigger levers were delivered not hardened. Therefore it was necessary to harden it after bending (heaten up to 750-800 degree celsius, afterwards cooling in oil).

Alexander

DonVoigt 05-31-2017 02:00 PM

Thanks Alexander; that explains quite a bit about the Swiss trigger adjustment tool and when it was used.
Thanks.

Ron Wood 05-31-2017 05:20 PM

Thank you Alexander. Although intended for new trigger levers, I would think that it could also be used with an annealed existing lever...although I am not sure how much of a demand there would be for that service! :)