LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Commercial Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   What are marking on this DWM (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=29582)

3598 12-24-2012 01:17 AM

What are marking on this DWM

2 Attachment(s)
Any help would be appreciated. Its a DWM , 9mm, standard barrel length.

Dwight Gruber 12-24-2012 02:17 AM

Initial resoponse is that they are a fantasy. Are there any other marks on the gun, and what are they? Can yopu provide much closer, sharper pictures of these markings?

--Dwight

3598 12-24-2012 02:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I fully inspected the 5 pointed star on the chamber under magnification and there is no way it was engraved.

sheepherder 12-24-2012 07:24 AM

The "V" w/dot definitely looks like it was struck; the star is too small/faint to tell...Need a better close-up...

Patronen 12-24-2012 08:29 AM

Page 315 of "The Luger Pistol" by Datig, shows an illustration of the top part of a DWM luger with this type of star and he calls it a South American Contract. But that info is probably out of date since the book was written in the '50's.

DavidJayUden 12-24-2012 08:41 AM

Am I not seeing a serial number on any parts? I assume that most are there but in commercial fashion, but what about the extractor?
Dave, regarding the Datig info, wouldn't his information be relevant until someone proves otherwise? Like in science, there are no facts, only theories waiting to be disproven.
dju

sheepherder 12-24-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patronen (Post 225670)
Page 315 of "The Luger Pistol" by Datig, shows an illustration of the top part of a DWM luger with this type of star and he calls it a South American Contract...

Wow, so it does. :thumbup:

Hey, on page 310 there's an actual picture of a 1906 Russian Contract Luger!!! :eek:

I'll have to get around to reading this sometime... :rolleyes:

Edward Tinker 12-24-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJayUden (Post 225671)
Dave, regarding the Datig info, wouldn't his information be relevant until someone proves otherwise? Like in science, there are no facts, only theories waiting to be disproven.
dju

yes and no, after all this time, either more have appeared, more facts have appeared etc.

It is amazing and not surprising that folks make something like this for themselves.

Its not a Israel Star of David is it? or Russian star?

To make sense, it has to represent something?

Perhaps a company logo, weapons were issued to companies and they were marked at times?

Norme 12-24-2012 09:07 AM

I think it's a "Lone Star" model from the hitherto unknown Texas Ranger contract.
Regards, Norm

Patronen 12-24-2012 09:11 AM

DavidJayUden- True.
My being skeptical of the info is because of the age of the material and there doesn't seem to be more elaboration about it in the book, unless I'm missing it.

Patronen 12-24-2012 09:31 AM

Looking over Datig's book again I missed page 320 that says 1908 type Venezuelan cal.9mm, 4" barrel. Five-pointed star over chamber.

sheepherder 12-24-2012 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an excerpt from John Walters' The Luger Book [1986, reprinted 1988]...Page 138...

Patronen 12-24-2012 09:35 AM

Interesting. The OP's pistol has Gesichert on the frame.

sheepherder 12-24-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patronen (Post 225680)
Interesting. The OP's pistol has Gesichert on the frame.

I believe I have read that both books have been known to contain mistakes...But it at least confirms that other Lugers have been seen with the star... :thumbup:

Vlim 12-24-2012 11:31 AM

You can rule out Indonesia :)

As Walter, somewhat incorrectly, states the Indonesian 5-pointed star is rather small and usually struck somewhere on the frame ears or the side of the receiver. The Dutch army didn't hand over these guns to the Indonesians, but most of these guns were captured by the Japanese and later by Indonesian troops after they were liberated by british troops.

Dutch troops tried to regain their colony after 1945, but were forced to halt their attempts when the US threatened to withdraw support through the Marshall plan. After 4 years of fighting the dutch government signed over the colony and Indonesia became independant. The remaining pistols were taken back to the Netherlands and stored at a Navy arsenal in Den Helder. Most were sold off to Interarms in the late 1960s.

DavidJayUden 12-24-2012 11:58 AM

3598:
Interesting gun.
Can we get some more photos, all marking and numbers, etc?
dju

3598 12-24-2012 11:26 PM

I will post some more pics. Sorry about the quality Im using my new I-phone 5.
It should also be noted that it is a single digit serial number. The serial number is marked on barrel, frame, side plate and toggle bolt behind rear sight. The side plate and takedown lever are also marked with serial number but only visible if pistol is looked at upside down. Extractor is in german language. Matching serial numbered mag with same proof mark (V with the dot). I removed the left grip, correct serial number with same V marking.

The single digit serial number has no script letter.

Im really stumped on this one. I have googled searched every possible combination with no luck.

Thanks guys

3598 12-24-2012 11:36 PM

I will post some more pics. Sorry about the quality Im using my new I-phone 5.
It should also be noted that it is a single digit serial number. The serial number is marked on barrel, frame, side plate and toggle bolt behind rear sight. The side plate and takedown lever are also marked with serial number but only visible if pistol is looked at upside down. Extractor is in german language. Matching serial numbered mag with same proof mark (V with the dot). I removed the left grip, correct serial number with same V marking.

The single digit serial number has no script letter.

Im really stumped on this one. I have googled searched every possible combination with no luck.

Thanks guys

Norme 12-25-2012 12:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've taken another look at the pictures posted so far, and it's not only the markings that are odd. As you can see in the photo below, the rear face of the sear bar slopes backwards, it should slope forward so that it can engage the safety bar. Grip safety guns have sear bars that slope backwards, but their safety bars slope backwards too.
Regards, Norm

cirelaw 12-27-2012 09:00 AM

South American Contract

1 Attachment(s)
According to Fred Datig,The Luger Pistol P315.