LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Early Lugers (1900-1906) (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Has anyone seen this on a 1906? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=29296)

markbritt 11-05-2012 06:42 PM

Has anyone seen this on a 1906?

1 Attachment(s)
Was looking to pick up a 1906 with safety grip, etc - I knew the luger was worn. The seller just sent me this pic. Is there anyone that can fill this in so rust blue will cover just right? I plan on refinishing the luger.

skeeter4206 11-05-2012 06:49 PM

what interest me is the hole in the front grip at the bottom.

Edward Tinker 11-05-2012 07:08 PM

I would guess some kind of home made 'shoulder stock' / with the hole being a base?

Ed

alanint 11-05-2012 08:02 PM

The hole appears to have a set screw threaded inside, so its anybody's guess what it was for.

wlyon 11-05-2012 08:15 PM

The grips have a Dutch Vickers type checkering. May we see pictures of the top? The hole is beyond me. What does the bore look like? If the rest of the gun looks as bad as it appears in the picture why restore it? Bill

DavidJayUden 11-05-2012 08:30 PM

It looks like a job for our own Thor. Shoot it past him for an opinion on filling and re-bluing. And that hole certainly has me stumped. I thought of a loop lanyard ring, but the filler set screw sort of shoots that idea. Unless it was added just to fill the hole.
dju

mrerick 11-05-2012 09:00 PM

Could it be so worn inside that the magazine catch isn't working, so someone tapped in a set screw to hold the magazine in place?

Marc

deepdarkwoodsman 11-06-2012 07:07 AM

I agree with Bill about the grips. If this is a Dutch Luger, you may be best served to leave it alone. Most of these are found in pretty rough shape. We need more information on the gun before we can give you sound advice. Additional photos from all angles would ge helpful.

Doug

nukem556 11-06-2012 09:53 AM

If the rest of the gun looks as bad as it appears in the picture why restore it?

Ha...thats exactly why!

Seriously, anyone skilled at TIG welding can fill that hole, just make sure they use carbon steel wire and leave a raised bead over the area ...you can file close to flush, then finish with emery cloth...after rust bluing, it should be unnoticeable

alanint 11-06-2012 09:56 AM

Take the grips off carefully and see what that hole looks like from the other side. Does it go all the way through?

wlyon 11-06-2012 03:36 PM

Would still be interesting to know what is on the rear toggle. Bill

lugerholsterrepair 11-06-2012 05:41 PM

Guys..ca'mon! Everyone knows this is an Imperial U-Boot Luger! The holes is in the bottom for when they come to the surface..to let the water out!

sheepherder 11-06-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 222897)
Guys..ca'mon! Everyone knows this is an Imperial U-Boot Luger! The holes is in the bottom for when they come to the surface..to let the water out!

Eine Pistole für Kanalrohr Segler??? :confused:

CAP Black 11-07-2012 10:10 AM

U-Boat?

I must be missing something here. Why in a U-Boat would the people and their equipment (weapons) be immersed in water? They lived down there for long periods - I would think - in very dry conditions; except when they were getting bombarded???
Jack
:typing:

alanint 11-07-2012 10:36 AM

Jack,

Jerry is indulging in a long standing joke here, where unscrupulous dealers have an explanation for every shortcoming or unusual modification on a gun they are trying to foist on an unsuspecting customer.

Under this logic, chrome plated Lugers also become "Navy Models". Crappy engraved pistols become "High Party Presentation pieces", etc.

markbritt 11-07-2012 10:38 PM

Guys:

Thanks for the input and the jokes. Fact is I am expecting this luger later this week. I will post the refininshing in the "Refinishing" section once I am done. I'll definitely get this old gal looking good as new.

MarkD

lugerholsterrepair 11-07-2012 10:51 PM

Mark..Sorry I just couldn't resist. God and the guy who drilled the hole are the only ones who know what it might be for. It's certainly not kosher in any way. Like a ground off stock lug..it just has to be restored to what it's supposed to be. Yes..keep us posted on it's restoration. Good Luck!

alanint 11-08-2012 07:43 AM

Mark,

Before you mess with it, please send photos of all markings on the pistol.

It might be worth your while to keep it as is if its something special.

CAP Black 11-08-2012 09:21 AM

I understood the humor but I thought that Markbritt could use some saneness in our responses. He is about to make a purchase and is intense on what he faces. Knowledge was what he needed. Jerry is usually the one who says: "Let's be serious and try to help the man." I appreciate Jerry's humor and his experience. He helps me and quite often.
It's not fun to see a Luger all butchered up, is it?
Jack

lugerholsterrepair 11-08-2012 04:10 PM

Jack..Bob answered the question Mark asked..Seriously, anyone skilled at TIG welding can fill that hole, just make sure they use carbon steel wire and leave a raised bead over the area ...you can file close to flush, then finish with emery cloth...after rust bluing, it should be unnoticeable

After that what's to get so serious about? Precious little information about the rest of the pistol can be forthcoming before Mark gets it. I spend many hours a month seriously helping those I can..and throw in a funny every once in awhile..when you get near 5000 posts you realize not everything on here is life or death. So a little humor is sometimes..humerous!

Besides I got a belly laugh out of this comment!
I must be missing something here. Why in a U-Boat would the people and their equipment (weapons) be immersed in water? They lived down there for long periods - I would think - in very dry conditions; except when they were getting bombarded???
Jack