LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Lugerforum Archive (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   HOLY SMOKES...!!! (and I'm looking for parts) (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=68)

John D. 02-08-2001 10:59 AM

HOLY SMOKES...!!! (and I'm looking for parts)

In about 8 days - there are over 500 messages posted on this Board??!!! THIS IS TERRIFIC..!!! DOK - the site is going great and bursting at the seams under your care - my hats are off to you.... As well, all this activity is terrific - can't tell you how much I enjoy reading the tremendous volume of messages/knowledge posted to this Board.. It is a real asset to our "collective interests" (pun intended ...

I also posted the following ad in the Parts Wanted section of the Classifieds - but I'll post here as well - in hopes that either note catches someone's attention

Looking for the following - The "wire bail" that retains the Takedown lever (I have NO IDEA what this part is really called)...

A good WWI era wood base mag..

A GOOD set of either black plastic ("BW") grips or original Walnut Grips (not the repros where the top/front Left grip panel is rounded)..

A toggle pin stamped "15"...

Thanks to all..!!!

Ted 02-08-2001 11:01 AM

Re: HOLY SMOKES...!!! (and I'm looking for parts)

Believe it is called either a take down spring or locking bolt spring, check with Tom Heller, I bet he has them! He has had everything else I have asked for so far! Ted

Ted 02-08-2001 11:04 AM

Re: HOLY SMOKES...!!! (and I'm looking for parts)

I have heard people like Hugh can make them out of spring steel? Ted

John D. 02-08-2001 11:16 AM

Thanks Ted..!! Hey - Tom and or Hugh???

Do either of you two have that "do-hicky" that that Ted referred to as "take down spring or locking bolt spring"?? If so - please e-mail me or post back to this message...

Thanks Much!!! (oh - and thanks Ted Heh, heh, heh....

Ted 02-08-2001 11:40 AM

Re: Thanks Ted..!! Hey - Tom and or Hugh???

The parts listing under tech info, calls it a locking bolt spring not DER DOHICKY

Hugh 02-08-2001 11:40 AM

Locking Bolt Spring

If Tom doesn't have them try:

Numerich @$3.50 + post

SARCO @ 4.95 + post

Popperts @ 7.50 + post

John D. 02-08-2001 11:49 AM

Thanks Hugh..!! I just popped off a note....

to Tom as well for a "DER DOHICKY THING-A-MA-BOB".. (That part name ought to drive Ted crazy, HUH???

Dok 02-08-2001 12:48 PM

well... in 20 days...

our web site took 4625 hits!!! That's in excess of 230 hits a day. Not bad....

John D. 02-08-2001 12:59 PM

Yea - but....

4603 of those 4625 hits are from Ted hitting "Refresh" on his browser..???!!!

Ted 02-08-2001 01:02 PM

Re: Yea - but....

you got me! Darn you guys are smart! I CAINT get by wit nuting

John D. 02-08-2001 01:03 PM

See what I mean????.. :D LOL!!!! (EOM)

John D. 02-08-2001 01:11 PM

A Serious question for Ted/Hugh...

Yea - I should start a new thread on this - but, well - I'm putting it here in this one...

Below - you mentioned "fire" blueing - I presume you are talking about heating parts to a certain temp and for a certain time?? I've never tried it - and I have a sideplate on a 42 BYF mis-match that the PO tried some "creative blue" fill-in with a BLACK PERMANENT magic marker (no, I'm really not kidding!).. It left it mottled on the high side.. Have either of you tried it on a pice as large as side-plate? If so, any trade secrets you'd like to share?

Ted 02-08-2001 01:14 PM

Re: A Serious question for Ted/Hugh...

Check out the grip screws on DA BABY! Nice pretty fire blue the way DWM used to do! HUGH IS GGGGOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD!!

Hugh 02-08-2001 01:50 PM

I fire blued a reciever :D

A sideplate would be no problem!

John D. 02-08-2001 02:10 PM

Thanks Hugh - ummm (more)....

a side-plate would be "no problem" for who - you or me??!! All I have so far if that Ted likes your grip screws and you can do a whole reciever..

Any secrets to share - like "if it's a Dutch Luger sideplate - you have to use a Dutch Oven at 4XX degrees - bake slowly until tender..." Or any non-trade secret "hints" just to fan the flames our curiosity??.. OK - I'm begging here

Hugh 02-08-2001 02:47 PM

Re: Thanks Hugh - ummm (more)....

OK, for you amateurs: Fire blue is attained somewhere around 550-575 degs, depending on the amount of carbon in the steel. Place the part in your oven and start out at 500, let it soak for 15-30 mins and check the color, then keep increasing the temp by 5 deg until you reach the desired color, waiting 15 mins between each increase in temp.

John D. 02-08-2001 03:20 PM

Hugh - thanks a million...!!!! (EOM)

Ted 02-08-2001 03:56 PM

Re: I fire blued a reciever :D

Fire bluing parts like a barrel? What does that do to the strength and is it a good idea on parts that are under intense pressure?

Hugh 02-08-2001 07:55 PM

Re: I fire blued a reciever :D

Ted,I didn't say a bbl, just a reciever. Besides, that is not hot enough to effect the temper of the steel.

John Sabato 02-09-2001 09:58 AM

Hugh, do you mean the barrel extension or...

the grip frame when you say 'receiver' ? If you mean the grip frame, wouldn't that hot a treatment affect the hardness of the steel. My concern is for the shoulders on the grip frame that unlock the toggle. On the barrel extension or 'upper receiver' if you will, I think I would be most concerned about the strength around the toggle pin.

Comments?

-John