LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All Post-WWII Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Got to actually hold a .45 ACP Luger today! (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40882)

John Sabato 01-31-2021 11:14 AM

Got to actually hold a .45 ACP Luger today!

5 Attachment(s)
Who can guess where/who I visited this weekend?

Here is a hint!

Attachment 81836

Attachment 81832

Attachment 81833

Attachment 81834

Attachment 81835

It has been 18 years since I had the opportunity to visit with my friend Gerry Tomek (GT) in person.

I got the full tour, met with his wonderful and hospitable family, and he walked me through the amazing process he uses to modify and improve the Numrich Arms reproduction 32-round Trommelmagazines to enable smooth functionality.

An absolutely great afternoon :thumbup:

Thanks Gerry for a wonderful visit.

We agreed to try and make it much less than 18 years until the next time we meet in person.

If you have one of these repro trommelmagazines (or even an original TM-08) that doesn't function smoothly, I encourage you to contact GT for the master's upgrade.

:bigbye::cheers:

Ron Wood 01-31-2021 12:28 PM

John,
I am wondering what occasioned your excursion that far West, but I am happy that you seized the opportunity to visit G.T. I wish I could have been there to join in. G.T lives not very far from my daughter in Tempe, AZ, so I get to see him on a much more frequent basis than 18 years (!), and of course he is one of the prime contributors to my efforts to construct a 7-shot Baby Luger. Gerry is a long time and very dear friend, and I think the world of him.
Ron

John Sabato 01-31-2021 01:18 PM

Hi Ron, our daughter Amy received a job offer in Phoenix and we didn’t want her to drive out there alone. So I accompanied her to share the driving and I’m flying back on Monday morning to Virginia. I am also disappointed you and I haven’t had the opportunity to meet in person. Maybe some day.

Edward Tinker 01-31-2021 03:22 PM

Very nice - a difficult time to travel - I would say its been about that long since I visited with GT in person - email is much more common and he has helped me many times over the years.

I have been able to see a lot of friends at gunshows but that is really hard to do this last few years.

G.T. 02-01-2021 12:28 AM

Johns visit!

It was a delight to have John visit my Hobbit like work shop, which amounts to a small two stall garage, and a 12' X 12' room in the house! We had a great time, and as always, the time flashed by as if the hours were just a few minutes! Shared memories and some entertaining tales, and before we knew it, it was time for John to depart! But, our short, shared afternoon, was medicine for the soul... I am continually amazed by the shared friendships that have been formed as a result of this forum. Many of the members here, are among the best people I know, and my door is always open to any member who would by chance like to visit. Best to you John, it was fun, and best to all, I appreciate your ongoing support! til......lat'r.....GT...:cheers:

Thor 02-01-2021 11:02 AM

Two really quality men I have had the pleasure of knowing. Been out to GTs a couple of times, brought him a finished Navy Shooter Luger once. He always rolls out the red carpet for his guests. Yes GT, I still remember the thick porter house steaks you bought and grilled for us. Loved his P.38 collection, He has AMAZING talent. I wish Many years to have you guys around. You contribute so much to the Luger world and are great friends. PROSIT:cheers:
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...ed&oe=603C84A1

Lyn Islaub 02-05-2021 04:13 PM

I was on the schedule to host these two gents, but found myself taking a Covid test instead to try and figure out the source of my feeling crappy. Test came out negative (thankfully, but not in time to see John)and I guess I have a winter cold. Sorry to have missed you guys. Next time maybe we can schedule far enough in advance to ask Ron to join us too.
Lyn

G.T. 02-05-2021 09:15 PM

next time!

Hi Lyn, I hope you are feeling better and was sad to hear you wouldn't be able to participate. But, we'll get something together soon, always fun and entertaining to visit with you and yours... Hopefully we can all get thru this pandemic unscathed... Best to you my friend, til....lat'r.....GT...:cheers:

G.T. 02-06-2021 08:42 PM

Johns first pic.

In the first picture John has posted, it shows my very small, very old, horizontal "job shop" milling machine! It was probably set up much like I have it, with the operation done on one axis, in my case the vertical axis as I use it to cut the magazine catch notch in Numrich drum magazines after welding and grinding the front spine back to shape, inside and out. It is slow and tedious, but reasonably accurate! It all comes down to tooling and stability, as in, if you can hold it, a sharp tool can cut it! :jumper: But the neat part, is it's a throw back to where parts were made on big machines, and the many necessary secondary operations were done on small machines like I have? Perhaps 1000's of Luger parts manufacture operations were performed just like I'm doing. (although many times more efficient....) Anyway, that's my minds picture of it.... best, til....lat'r.....GT:cheers: