LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   New member (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40801)

Walleyeman 12-23-2020 08:28 PM

I am new here and having difficulty in navigating the forum. Being an old guy, I retired from Generous Motors before computers were part of my avocation, so those 2 points leave me wanting.
I’d like to be able to have a 1 on 1 conversation with an administrator before I share information. I know, I'm an old fuddyduddy, but just asking.
Now after I’ve posted this, I’m concerned that I’ll know where to look for responses. Is an email or phone call possible?
Thank you in advance.

gunnertwo 12-24-2020 12:17 AM

Welcome! There are lots of helpful folks here. Go ahead and post your questions, my only suggestion is to pick the correct sub forum so you receive the best response.

G2

John D. 12-24-2020 07:46 AM

Sure - you can reach out to the Admin at: john@reutterwerk.com

Welcome aboard!

John D.

Walleyeman 12-24-2020 10:40 AM

Thanks for the 2 reply’s
Later today I’ll make my 1st inquiry.

calibrator 12-24-2020 11:09 AM

Forums such as this format are very easy to navigate, just jump in, ... you're doing fine so far. I will say this, ... if you are composing a post, copy it and re-copy it every few minutes. If you get distracted for even a short while, your Log-In will Time-Out, you will have to re-Log-In and your composition will be lost. VERY frustrating for me, maybe I'm doing something wrong ??? :rolleyes:

PS;

Click on the "Thumbs Up" icon of any response you get that you "Like", it is a sort of pat-on-the-back for the Poster.

Edward Tinker 12-24-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calibrator (Post 335788)
Forums such as this format are very easy to navigate, just jump in, ... you're doing fine so far. I will say this, ... if you are composing a post, copy it and re-copy it every few minutes. If you get distracted for even a short while, your Log-In will Time-Out, you will have to re-Log-In and your composition will be lost. VERY frustrating for me, maybe I'm doing something wrong ??? :rolleyes:

I always stay signed in - but the time-out time is a decent amount of time. However, I try to copy the item or originally write it in word or other word processor and then you copy and paste it into the block. I haven't 'lost' a post in a long time, usually it is when I write something long, hit a key that highlights all and then I do something - point is, we all make mistakes and I just live with it...

pauly 12-24-2020 02:22 PM

Walleyeman,
This site has a good bunch of folks on here. We were all new and learned. So go ahead and post away, if the post is in the wrong forum you will know shortly.
Welcome!

rhuff 12-24-2020 03:53 PM

Welcome to the Luger forum. I, also, am nearly computer illiterate, but with time one acquires enough skill to get by. :typing:

spangy 12-24-2020 06:29 PM

Welcome Walleyeman ... by the way we are all pretty much older here. lol
Now watch all the younger guys come out and jump on me. Lol

mrerick 12-24-2020 07:17 PM

Welcome to the forum. Share your Luger interests with us also!

JONABI 12-24-2020 08:10 PM

I can attest, it's true!

John D. 12-24-2020 08:28 PM

Here was my reply to his email, voicing concerns about the privacy of information shared on THIS Community...

Quote:

You are not alone, and my sites are a bit different? I started my forums before the world of selling information to advertisers, and selling your private information for profit. You will note there are no banners, no "advertisers" on the site. Too, if you open the site with a secure browser, like the latest iteration of Safari, you'll see only one tracker, and that's there so I know what browser folks are using - and that isn't shared anywhere else. By comparison...

If you go to the new and fake "Lugerforums" site, which they've tried to copy and implode this community - they do harvest your data, can sell your information and your information is not at all private. And you'll be attacked with banner ads. Some believe an "Ad Blocker" prevents their harvesting your private information, but that's not true. It is still retained, just not served up in your browser...

I should post this up in your thread, but be assured, this site isn't like "any other".

John Dunkle

lugerholsterrepair 12-25-2020 01:16 PM

Thanks John.

spangy 12-25-2020 07:20 PM

I can 100% vouch for this site and its owner/founder John D.

At a Minimum run HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger with Ghostery in there for the very privacy oriented individual.

https://www.eff.org/pages/tools

I suggest running EFF's panopticlick test here

https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/

Walleyeman 12-25-2020 08:59 PM

Identify if finish on my Luger is original

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleyeman (Post 335760)
I am new here and having difficulty in navigating the forum. Being an old guy, I retired from Generous Motors before computers were part of my avocation, so those 2 points leave me wanting.
I’d like to be able to have a 1 on 1 conversation with an administrator before I share information. I know, I'm an old fuddyduddy, but just asking.
Now after I’ve posted this, I’m concerned that I’ll know where to look for responses. Is an email or phone call possible?
Thank you in advance.

. My 1st inquiry. I’ve got a S/42 that has a 1938 date over the chamber. All the numbers seem to match, including the mag. My question is that I have doubts about the finish. Everything has good bluing, but the receiver is kind of an off copper color, as well as I think what might be the extractor ( a 1/8” X approx 1” long piece) that is on top and also is a little brighter copper colored. I’ve taken a couple pics with my iPad but I don’t see how to submit those pics.

Mac Cat 12-25-2020 09:31 PM

Use the Advanced options when you edit.
You upload the files first into a small pop-up screen.
WE can help

Edward Tinker 12-25-2020 09:33 PM

I think you are talking about the plum color that you see - when Mauser went from one type of bluing to another, sometimes the color is as you describe.

BTW - I moved this to New Collectors area...

An IPad is a bit harder to upload pictures than a laptop, but you choose a picture and then upload it.
I think in New Collectors area it says how to do it.

Ed

Walleyeman 01-05-2021 09:07 PM

John D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John D. (Post 335809)
Here was my reply to his email, voicing concerns about the privacy of information shared on THIS Community...

I’ve been absent past few days, too much going on. I’ll get serious 1 of these days and see if I can’t get pics. posted successfully.
It was good to read the reply that Mauser later on in the war period had inconsistencies in their bluing process. But with the chamber date of 1938, that would be before WWII was even declared. I’ll go back and reread the post, maybe I don’t remember correctly;)

gunbugs 01-06-2021 02:19 AM

Mauser changed their bluing from rust blue, to salt blue in early 1937. Your 1938 is a salt blue gun, with no strawed parts. The purple hue to the receiver isn't necessarily "common", but certainly not rare.

Norme 01-06-2021 07:55 AM

"Plum color" is what collectors call what you are seeing on your gun and it's most frequently observed on P08's dated 1938 and 1939. It's thought to be caused by depleted chemicals in the bluing solution.
Norm