LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Help with DWM 9mm Luger Model and Proofs (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42137)

tbeach 04-11-2023 08:36 PM

Help with DWM 9mm Luger Model and Proofs

10 Attachment(s)
New member and first time posting here so please be kind! I was hoping this group could help me identify which model Luger this is as well as some of the Proofs. I see the N crown but there is also one that looks like a N* and one that looks like a pot with fire coming out of it if....hopefully that makes sense...I'm really not sure what it is. Thanks so much!

tbeach 04-11-2023 08:41 PM

More pics

6 Attachment(s)
More pics...

Kiwi 04-12-2023 10:08 AM

Time for some reading. Go to the top and download the FAQ's
https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=35479

Beyond that I am sure others will provide information
You do have a mismatched gun as all the numbers do not match
The slightly rusted magazine could use a little oil and maybe very light steel wool to clean up, but others may tell you to not touch it as magazines also have value and any alteration/cleaning will detract. Oil would be OK but any polishing perhaps not.

Do perform the pencil in the barrel to determine if 9mm or 30 luger and read on the forums here about ammo it likes.

tbeach 04-12-2023 10:50 AM

@Kiwi Thanks for the link! I will take a look. The only mismatched number I saw was from the magazine bottom. Did you see something else? It is a 9mm…it has been cleaned, serviced and fired. The slightly rusted magazine doesn’t feed well…so not using it for now, not sure if it is something that can be repaired or if this is an issue with this design. The black magazine loads fine. Appreciate any other info you can offer…this is all new to me.

Mac Cat 04-12-2023 12:10 PM

My best guess is that this is a commercial DWM luger (Crown/N proof) converted to a Police luger, with a sear safety and a magazine safety (which appears to still be in place).

I would guess it was made after 1916, but that's the best I could guess.

The barrel is very hard for me to make out, but I think it is "8,82", which makes it a 9mm.

I don't see any mis-matched parts - everything I can make out seems to be marked "55" as it should be.

It was refinished and my guess is a DDR or VOPO overhaul. That may be where the weird "*/N" and flaming "pot" stamps came from.

There is an interesting dimple on the left side of the front sight, which makes me wonder if it was replaced at one time or just dented in some odd way.

The blue magazine on the left is a late model "FXO" magazine (WW-2 Mauser era).
The wood based magazine is probably the right type for this luger.

Edward Tinker 04-12-2023 12:55 PM

I'd agree with Mac Cat - went to police service, hard to say when before, as after WW1, DWM's had suffixes. And I think it went to the DDR

Vlim 04-13-2023 09:26 PM

Nothing to do with East-Germany.

Looks like a police pistol that was reproofed in Belgium.

tbeach 04-17-2023 08:42 PM

For those who have responded I am appreciative of your interest and support. Can you perhaps educate me as to how you drew your conclusions? I want to get smarter about this and don’t have an algorithm/formula for deciphering such things. My guess is that this is not that easy, there is too much variation and things weren’t always done consistently but nonetheless I am hoping for some pearls of wisdom. Also, any idea on value? I’m not planning to sell but would like to know what I have.

gunbugs 04-18-2023 12:36 AM

Most of the conclusions are from books, or personal knowledge. You could try finding a copy of "The Standard Directory of Proof Marks" by Wirnsberger to start with. Then the 3 volume set by Jan Still, "Imperial Lugers", "Weimar Lugers", and "Third Reich Lugers" would be useful as well. Plus a good old copy of "Lugers at Random", although somewhat dated, can still be a useful basic reference.

Dwight Gruber 04-18-2023 10:43 AM

This pistol started life as a military pistol, almost certainly WWI. All identifying military marks have been removed. The c/N proofs are the stamps of the civilian proof house in Suhl; they would have been applied after alteration to the pressure train--from the look of things, likely rebarreling--near Suhl, and consequent re-proofing.

The odd-looking "flaming bomb" proof marks are Belgian proofs, proofed and stamped in order that the pistol could be sold there.

Gunbugs is right about books and personal knowledge. Nothing is more important in this hobby than patience and experience.

--Dwight

tbeach 04-22-2023 01:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think I found some references for the proof marks! Thanks for the bread crumbs!!!

Mac Cat 04-22-2023 05:57 PM

@tbeach Very cool !

Where did you find that reference ?

tbeach 04-22-2023 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac Cat (Post 347171)
@tbeach Very cool !

Where did you find that reference ?

https://www.shotguns.se/html/belgium.html