LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   1940 Luger de-value question (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42321)

Dave Sanders 10-01-2023 12:55 AM

1940 Luger de-value question

10 Attachment(s)
I just picked this up today from a grandson of the owner, I just couldn't pass up a Luger out of the wilds, I'm sure you guys know that feeling. It is a really nice Luger, all matching including one mag, the second mag is another number. But, under the barrel are some scratches and a ding or two. The story is, ( I know) the grandpa used the barrel to break out a window, and then knocked the jagged edges off with the Luger. The scratches, to me, do kind of look like that could have happened. In any case, how much of a value loss would that do to an otherwise pretty nice Luger? It doesn't bother me, but I know a purist might really frown upon it. Also, The holster is a 41 date holster, and I don't know if the loading tool is original or not, it is unmarked. Who knows if the grandpa added to it back in the day with those or just what. Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts on this rig. It is an extra to me, so I might sell it down the road and wanted to know these thing.
Dave

Dave Sanders 10-01-2023 12:58 AM

10 Attachment(s)
more pics

Dave Sanders 10-01-2023 01:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
last

tharpo 10-01-2023 02:05 AM

Interesting Luger with some history!

Kiwi 10-01-2023 08:52 AM

Ouch, the damage is pretty ugly on an otherwise nice piece with good bluing

Mac Cat 10-01-2023 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for sharing.
6415 d

It looks a lot like my 40/42 in the "d" suffix range.

You may want to share more details when you field strip it and look inside.
You will find 2-digit serial numbers on all the small parts inside, too.
Be very careful removing the grips - your grips are still in great condition.

The loading tool looks like a reproduction to me.
That's something you can easily replace.

I'm still learning about holsters - it looks good to me.
What bothers me is that I don't see any military acceptance stamp on it.
Just the makers 3-letter code and date.
Often those stamps are hard to make out, but I think it should be in the same area.
Look closely.

You may want to hunt down a copy of:

The Mauser Parabellum (Don R. Hallock & Joop van de Kant)

Dave Sanders 10-01-2023 01:25 PM

Thanks for the replies. I took it apart where I bought it. All parts that should be numbered are, including grips, all matching. Naturally, I took the right grip off to look at the left. There is a Waffen amt on the holster. In good light , I can see it. It just didn't come out in the picture. If you look in the picture, at the part that looks like a slight crease below the maker, you can see the wings of the eagle of the Waa.

Mac Cat 10-01-2023 02:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Great news on the matching small parts and particularly the grips.

Glad you took a closer look at the holster stamps !!

The LUGER HOSLTERS and ACCESSORIES of the 20th CENTURY, Eugene J Bender is a good reference. From page 213:
It shows "gxy" as the Code for Gebruder Klinge.
So that "WaA142" wafer code should be with it.
Good catch

The matching magazine was pretty special, too.

gunnertwo 10-01-2023 02:59 PM

Legit example, it's in a good home. We all want nice examples but we also tend to forget it went to war. Bad things happen, things get beat up and destroyed.

G2

Dave Sanders 10-01-2023 04:45 PM

The holster WaA is 706 under a good magnifying glass which is gyx's later code I believe. Thanks for the replies. Any ideas on cost devalue the marks take away? I don't mind it as such, but then I own it and have to not mind it :), but a ball park figure less value because of the marks, 200,300, more?
Dave

hayhugh 10-01-2023 05:33 PM

If it shoots - its at least worth $1000.00......

Roadster 02 10-01-2023 07:44 PM

Using any firearm as a hammer is a dumb thing to do. I know you are not the perpetrator, but still dumb. It is still a nice Luger even with the cosmetic scars.

gunbugs 10-02-2023 08:41 AM

Without the scars, it would be worth in the 2500 range with the holster and spare mag. The scars would drop it to about 1500-1800. Just my opinion.

mrerick 10-02-2023 09:56 AM

I agree with the above estimate. It's nice but the damage is very visible.

That said, these did go through a war and more...

Vlim 10-02-2023 11:28 AM

A good restorer can fix this. I have seen partially restored P08s that were impossible to tell they had been done.

Dave Sanders 10-02-2023 12:15 PM

Thank you all for the replies.
Dave

GerColctor 10-27-2023 02:22 PM

When the grandfather was breaking the window years ago Lugers had very little value compared to today. After WW2 Lugers were selling for $25-30. Nobody had any idea as to eventual collectability of Lugers or the importance of "all matching".

The damage is part of the pistol's history and if you have it worked on and try to correct the finish, then this Luger has been "restored". Not sure if you want to take it down that road.

Sergio Natali 10-29-2023 04:21 AM

As an enthusiast, seeing a Luger so ruined makes me hurt inside.
However, if I were you I wouldn't take it to any restorer.
Any restoration would decrease the value of the gun.
IMO

Regards.

Dave Sanders 10-29-2023 12:23 PM

I appreciate the comments, thank you all for that. One thing I would add is that the gun, in hand, is not as bad looking with the scratches as the pictures portray. I know that a pristine mint Luger is more desirable to most, but this one was there, used and abused, it is still a neat artifact to me.

DonVoigt 10-30-2023 09:14 AM

Enjoy it as is. It only needs cleaning and oiling.