LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   [Identify] Need some help with "Franken"Luger (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=38788)

F15E_WSO 07-28-2018 01:24 PM

[Identify] Need some help with "Franken"Luger

10 Attachment(s)
Good morning all,
Happy to be new to the Luger forum as I now have my Dad's Luger back!! After looking at this forum and photos here, it is clear once again that "maintenance, care and feeding" was NOT one of my dad's strong suits!!
I poured over the markings in this pdf catalog https://www.selfdefensefund.com/wp-c...7/09/Luger.pdf but not much help.

There is adequate matching of the S/N 3825 (25s) throughout the mainbody but things get sketchy after that...Standard DWM across the top and then things begin to unravel. No S/N on the barrel, two proofs that I can't make out on the barrel along with the calibre (7.65).

Trying to upload photos, here's link to imgur for album there. https://imgur.com/a/qmTkMvV Imgur photos will be larger, better for zooming.

If I could get some feedback on the ID of the gun would be thankful. Will gladly post additional photo, zoomed/macro'd as necessary to help anyone kind enough to help me.

Some provenance on the gun; family from France, fled to North Africa during WWII, returned to France later. I know my father had the gun in the US for past 55 yrs. Don't know if he got it in Europe Post-War, picked up during war? And everyone is dead now so can't ask them.

Finally, will break down gun and clean and start to refurbish.....If I could also ask that you list the first 3 things you would do regarding getting this luger back in health.

Thanks in advance

DonVoigt 07-28-2018 09:57 PM

How about a picture of the top of the chamber? And a better picture of the circular marking on the right side of the receiver.

So far, I can see the DWM receiver was re-barreled commercially and re-proved in Germany.
The E/N is a nitro proof, and the E/J an indication of re-buliding/replacement of the barrel.

gunbugs 07-28-2018 10:31 PM

It actually looks like a pretty good commercial 30cal. to me. I wouldn't do anything but a thorough disassembly and cleaning. I wouln't "refurbish" anything. Remember Antiques roadshow... 10 percent original finish is better than 100 percent refinish.

F15E_WSO 07-28-2018 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 317998)
How about a picture of the top of the chamber? And a better picture of the circular marking on the right side of the receiver.

So far, I can see the DWM receiver was re-barreled commercially and re-proved in Germany.
The E/N is a nitro proof, and the E/J an indication of re-buliding/replacement of the barrel.

DonVoigt, thank you for the response and insight. Can I get you to clarify "top of the chamber"? Is that with the toggle open? I will also get a better picture of the circular marking as requested.

F15E_WSO 07-28-2018 11:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbugs (Post 317999)
It actually looks like a pretty good commercial 30cal. to me. I wouldn't do anything but a thorough disassembly and cleaning. I wouln't "refurbish" anything. Remember Antiques roadshow... 10 percent original finish is better than 100 percent refinish.

Gunbugs, thanks for the response. "Commercial"? as in production for general sale and police? Not Mil?

Disassembled, lots of lithium grease!?, cleaned reassembled, now hunting .30 Luger ammo locally.

DavidJayUden 07-28-2018 11:37 PM

I'd go straight to on-line sources for .30 Luger, maybe Gunbroker.com, etc. Cheaper, about as fast, more variety, etc.
dju

F15E_WSO 07-29-2018 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJayUden (Post 318002)
I'd go straight to on-line sources for .30 Luger, maybe Gunbroker.com, etc. Cheaper, about as fast, more variety, etc.
dju

David, I've ID'd a few via AmmoSeek but before I pay $15 in shipping on a box of 50 I'm hoping to get a single box locally and ensure the gun works. Once I know it works then I will buy online most likely.

DonVoigt 07-29-2018 08:04 AM

Top of the chamber is just that, toggle open or closed your choice.
should be some markings there, unless removed.

Lugerdoc 07-29-2018 08:54 AM

Judging from the markings on the right chamber area, this pistol was never completed by DWM during WW1, rather the parts were assembled later (after 1939) by a licensed German gunsmith, showing an overabundance of his test firing proofs. The circular marking, with the cross swords, is a British proof house markings, that was required to sell foreign made pistols in GB. TH

F15E_WSO 07-29-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugerdoc (Post 318007)
Judging from the markings on the right chamber area, this pistol was never completed by DWM during WW1, rather the parts were assembled later (after 1939) by a licensed German gunsmith, showing an overabundance of his test firing proofs. The circular marking, with the cross swords, is a British proof house markings, that was required to sell foreign made pistols in GB. TH

Thanks for making sense of some of that overlayed stuff. Like "overabundance of his test firing"!! My grandfather left France from Dunkirk and was an Instructor Pilot in the UK for a short time and then sent to Canada to teach there. Maybe he picked it up in the UK?

F15E_WSO 07-29-2018 03:08 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 318005)
Top of the chamber is just that, toggle open or closed your choice.
should be some markings there, unless removed.

Various additional pictures and macro shots. Thanks for the help.

Link to imgur album
https://imgur.com/a/tkewOEA

gunbugs 07-30-2018 12:29 AM

The only thing I see that is really out of place is the mismatch rear toggle.

Edward Tinker 07-30-2018 02:12 AM

So, what I see is a DWM luger, made WWI era, later rebarreled into 30 luger, with lots of interesting acceptance and proof markings.

DonVoigt 07-30-2018 08:22 AM

As Ed says, I'll add that the receiver is from an artillery luger.
The proof marks of E/N and E/J are according to the German law proof law of 1940.
So this re-work/re-build of a WWI era luger was done after 1940 and before 1945.

Large and small factories were doing these "re-works" and the circle on the right of the receiver is likely a trademark or maker/seller mark from the 1940 era(JMHO).

Vono and Anchutz were large concerns doing this- but this is not their mark.
It IS Luneschloss; (but I do not recognize the mark and have not seen it before).
Update: 8-18-2018, Klaus says it is Franken and Luneschloss, see post below!

I do not believe it is a British/English proof mark, as it is not the correct size, style or location- though it could be a retailer mark- and would have to post date the 1940 time frame of the pistol if English- later than 1946.

Lugerdoc 07-30-2018 10:41 AM

After further thought, i agree with Don above. TH

F15E_WSO 07-30-2018 09:22 PM

Thanks to all for the help and inputs here.

wlyon 07-30-2018 11:10 PM

I agree it is not an English proof mark.

klaus 3338 08-18-2018 02:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
...reworked by Franken und Lünenschloß

Sergio Natali 08-18-2018 01:03 PM

Interesting pistol, with all those acceptance and proof markings too bad it can't talk.

F15E_WSO 08-18-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klaus 3338 (Post 318653)
...reworked by Franken und Lünenschloß

Yes Sir!!! That is clearly it. Thank you for the find and tying the proof to a name. Well done.