LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Intro & my 1916 DWM (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=38284)

robert6715 02-26-2018 03:33 AM

Intro & my 1916 DWM

5 Attachment(s)
Greetings all, My name is Rob, I live in remote "bush" Alaska. Moved to Alaska in 2000 from Ohio & never looked back. Been shooting, collecting guns, reloading, & hunting most of my life. My father had an artillery Luger when I was a young boy & he sold it before I was old enough to shoot pistols, ever since then I wanted a Luger.

I have bid on several Lugers online but never was the high bidder. While in Anchorage recently for doctors appointments, I had time to kill & was checking out the local gunshops. To my surprise, the one shop had a 1916 DWM. I checked it over & left to go back to the hotel & do some research. Well the next day I bought it, pretty sure I over paid by a couple hundred bucks, but with shipping to Alaska & FFL fees I probably couldnt have done much better online.

It is all matching as far as I can tell except for the magazine, which is an aftermarket as best I can tell. It has a pinned wood bottom with a plastic follower & no markings. I will get some pics of the mag.

I would like to get a period correct magazine, where should I look & what would be a fair price.

Thanks in advance
Rob

robert6715 02-26-2018 03:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More pics

DavidJayUden 02-26-2018 07:51 AM

Looks like a very nice gun. Congratulations!
Regarding the magazine, a short "Wanted" ad below may get you a period correct mag. for your DWM at reasonable rate.
Enjoy!
dju

DonVoigt 02-26-2018 09:25 AM

Mags will depend on condition of course, they are "offered" in a range of $100 to $300 or so.

You would need a plated body, wood base, with number and perhaps a "+" which indicates the spare mag. DWM mags do not have acceptance markings, Erfurt mags will have a crown/letter on the base in addition to the number and + , early Erfurt mags will have two Crown/letter marks.

Piet 03-04-2018 01:25 PM

You really wanted a Luger .... and now you've got it! Enjoy the feeling of a real quality firearm especially the fact that it was manufactured more than one hundred years ago.

lugerholsterrepair 03-04-2018 01:41 PM

Welcome Bob! But don't short yourself! You need a nice holster tool and SPARE magazine! Might as well get a WW 1 German combat belt and buckle too! Then to start looking and saving for that elusive Artillery...AH! To be young again...

Eugen 03-04-2018 03:40 PM

Rob, congrats on your nice purchase. You are off to a great start with that one. Be sure to check out the FAQ section of the forum as there is a wealth of info that is sure to be of interest a new owner.

Don't be a stranger. Come back and share your journey.

Edward Tinker 03-04-2018 06:52 PM

I couldn't tell if you are looking for a DWM mag to shoot with or display?

If for shooting, get a MecGar mag, perhaps have the base replaced by GT to a wood one for looks and shooting....

Douglas Jr. 03-05-2018 07:21 AM

Welcome to the club.
This feeling is truly unique. Enjoy it!
Douglas

robert6715 03-11-2018 12:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Received one of the mags I ordered.

Thanks again
Rob