LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Luger Help (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=36153)

ctl_alt_del 09-14-2016 05:37 PM

Luger Help

9 Attachment(s)
I’ve come across a couple beautiful Lugers and I need to find out as much about them, as I can before I make an offer. The seller (a family friend) says she wants top dollar for them but I don’t know enough about them to even guess how much top dollar is). I don’t even know for certain how to refer to these beauties. From the research I’ve done, it appears that I have a Mauser 1937 S/42, a war carry back, chambered in 9MM ;and a Crown N, chambered in 7.65, unknown where it came from (might also be called a DWM?).

What I do know about them:

The 1937 S/42 is a war carry back (without papers) that her father brought back from the war. Serial number is: 4057

The Crown N was also her father’s, but she doesn’t know how he acquired it. Serial number is: 81902. The holster on this one seems to indicate that it was a Volkspolezei weapon, post war, based on the markings.

Serial numbers on both pistols, including the magazines and extra magazines, all match (I’ve not broken them down yet to look at the inside parts, but I’m pretty sure they’re matching, too). Both look to be in really good shape. Both have holsters in decent shape. Neither one has a loading tool. Both have been gathering dust for decades.

If someone could shed any additional light on these beauties, I’d very much appreciate it.

Here’s what I’d love to find out:

How correctly to refer to each of these (as in, if I were selling them, what would I call them?)….Along with the manufacturer, year of manufacture, approximate NRA grade, ballpark high dollar and low dollar value, and the biggest question: If it turns out they’re too expensive for me to purchase, and I want to sell them on the open market for her, instead, should we have them professionally cleaned first? I could do it, but if these are likely multi-thousand dollar guns and I don’t trust myself enough not to screw something up doing that myself.

First 4 pictures attached are of the markings on the Crown N. The Crown N's markings were pretty sparse, other than serial numbers and the Crown N. The next five are of the S/40.

Thanks for your patience with a Luger Newbie.

DavidJayUden 09-14-2016 10:06 PM

1. Alphabet .30 Ca. Luger, DWM mfg, made in the 1920's.High end retail $1200 with holster, $1000 is more realistic.
2. 1937 S/42 Mauser Luger, with holster and matching number mag, ballpark $1500.
I'd like to see photos of the holsters AND the numbers on all mags, as it is pretty rare and important to value to determine if they are truly matching.
Regarding professional cleaning, unless the pro. REALLY knows Lugers, I'd not trust it. YouTube has great disassembly videos, but overall I'd wipe them down and not risk damaging guns that are not yours.
dju

DonVoigt 09-14-2016 10:53 PM

You are in a bad spot, IMO; I hear family friend and top dollar.

No matter how much you pay, the seller will not be satisfied and think you ...... her or him.

Let them take them to a gun or pawn shop for an offer, tell them you will give 10% more than they will BUY them for.

If they really want top dollar, they will have to sell at auction, if so they will pay 25% commission unless they do it themselves on line.

Sorry to be "down", but you are in a No-win situation. JMHO.

mrerick 09-15-2016 11:14 AM

It's very difficult to judge finish originality or how worn the finishes are from photos that are not sharp and that are taken with a flash.

The high end pricing mentioned would reflect a rather high level or original finish. 93% or better. They are prices paid by one collector directly to another trusted collector after inspection.

You generally will not find any serial number on a commercial Crown/N Luger's magazine. If there is one there, I expect it was added by someone to make the gun appear more valuable. In fact, it defaces the magazine and destroys value.

The matching numbers on magazines associated with the military Luger may or may not be original, and good sharp photos are needed to verify that they were not renumbered to match the gun.

The holsters might be real period holsters, or reproductions. Again, we'd need photos to help. The "Volkspolezei" was an East German police force active after WW-II and did not, to my knowledge, use 7.65mm Luger caliber pistols.

The East German and Russian Capture guns are often refinished, have markings added or defaced and have a much lower value than those quoted above.

lugerholsterrepair 09-15-2016 12:07 PM

Lets take a look at the holsters?

spacecoast 09-15-2016 01:11 PM

Not the right box for that ammo...

Mac Cat 09-15-2016 01:16 PM

30 cal Luger

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the correct photo (sorry about that).

ctl_alt_del 09-15-2016 03:03 PM

Better lighting gun pics and holsters

10 Attachment(s)
The first two pics are of the mags for the s/42 (you can see a tiny proof mark below the S/N's, which do match the pistol's serial number. The next pic is for the mags for the commercial (they're absent any markings...I was wrong about these two matching the gun's serial number). The next two pictures are of the holster for the s/42. The next pic is the holster for the commercial.

The last four pictures are of the pistols in better lighting. Hope it helps. The first two are pictures of either side of the commercial, and the next two are either side of the S/42.

I thank all for the help. And by the way, it looks like there's some button someplace on here to click for a "thank you"...can anyone clue me in where it is located?

ctl_alt_del 09-15-2016 03:06 PM

Oh, and someone in another forum thinks the S/42 is a "Mauser S/42 1937 Date Late Finish" or "Early Date Finish". Serial number is in the 4000's without any letter...So I'm guessing Early Date Finish.

Eugen 09-15-2016 03:09 PM

Nice! Those matching mags to the gun are golden.

kurusu 09-15-2016 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctl_alt_del (Post 293563)
Oh, and someone in another forum thinks the S/42 is a "Mauser S/42 1937 Date Late Finish" or "Early Date Finish". Serial number is in the 4000's without any letter...So I'm guessing Early Date Finish.

It's a 1937 late finish.

lugerholsterrepair 09-15-2016 03:35 PM

The "thank you" icon is in the lower right of each post. It's a yellow thumbs up!

And something might be funny/odd/questionable about the Luger holster. It's belt loops have been replaced after a Norway type GI belt hanger was taken off. I suspect this holster didn't come home with the pistol if the pistol came back in say 1945-46 The Norwegions were still using these. Value plummets when this takes place..My value is $150 tops from what I can see so far..

Can I see pics of both the holsters open? I have deep suspicions about your P-38 holster and another photo would confirm or deny..It MAY be post war.

ctl_alt_del 09-15-2016 04:05 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Bummer. Hope that's not the case.

Here's some more pictures of the holsters...

lugerholsterrepair 09-15-2016 04:15 PM

Ron, Thanks..The Luger holster looks fine inside..but the belt loop conversion lowers value considerably. I still stick with $150.

Bad news on the P-38 as it's a post war. I don't keep track of prices on these but likely no more than $50? You might try eBay sold items for post war P-38 to nail it down a little more.

mrerick 09-15-2016 04:35 PM

The numbered magazines look good, and please understand that it is very unusual to find a Luger with both correct numbered magazines.

You have a later salt blued 1937 gun, but I can't enlarge the photos to see detail. I expect I see a humped frame, which would be correct. The no suffix block was third from the last that year, and probably made in October or November. There are three acceptance stamp variations, and I can't make out details in your photos. SE/63 SE/63 is the most common.

The value of the 1937 Luger is higher due to the two matching magazines. Probably $2000 to $2250 in 90% condition if all original finish and all matching.

Marc

lugerholsterrepair 09-15-2016 04:39 PM

Marc. but I can't enlarge the photos to see detail. Try this little trick..Hit control and scroll. It will enlarge or make smaller.

Geo99 09-15-2016 09:12 PM

Retail value of the 90% condition 1937 S/42 Luger with 2 matching mags is about $2600 - but who pays retail?

- Geo