LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Problem with Mec-gear mags - solved (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40861)

smitter1 01-21-2021 06:23 PM

Problem with Mec-gear mags - solved

Hello to all

i have a commercial 1920 DWM .30 luger and recently got 2 new mec-gear mags. Tough to load which is common, but when i load more than 4-5 rounds, the 1st loaded round sticks and the follower can no longer push the rounds up. fiocchi .30 luger rounds. Pistol fires fine just can't fully load mags due to sticking problem.

any recommendations appreciated.

correction. it is not the round sticking it is the follower after 4-5 rounds that stick. ill leave them packed for a few days and oil them up to see if i can correct

G.T. 01-21-2021 07:15 PM

recommendations!

Hi Smitter1, that is very uncommon with new Luger Meg-Gar mags, but nothing is really ordinary when it comes to Luger mags in general.
First, do both mags perform the same, stick at the same place? Wait, back up a second, do these new Mec-Gar mags have the plastic follower? If not, then they aren't new production, they would be NOS (new old stock!) So assuming they have the plastic follower, a good thing, do they, the followers, stop at the same spot without any rounds in them? If it does, you need to insert wood or plastic, maybe even aluminum up into the mag and spread the sides out throughout the full length of the mag,. All the while measuring the gain, if any, in thousands with a digital caliper. The mags are heat treated, I'm thinking 4130 or 40, and the yield strength is quite high, so it may surprise you as to how far you can distort them without change. At gain of .005" will make all the difference in the world. Keep us posted, also try some different ammo just at the bench, you don't need the gun to do dynamic mag function tests, just snap the rounds out with a wooden dowel... I've done it that way for literally thousands of rounds...:eek::eek:.... best to you, til....lat'r....GT:cheers:

Doubs 01-22-2021 01:56 AM

The problem I've encountered is with the OAL of .30 Luger cartridges that position them at an angle that causes the bullet to hang up in the mag catch hole. When the OAL was changed, the angle changed and the problem went away.

I should add that this is applicable to ALL Luger mags, not just Mec-Gar. I use Mec-Gar mags when I shoot my Lugers and they are excellent in my experience.

schutzen-jager 01-22-2021 07:56 AM

stiff springs + hard to load is very common inherent problem with them + discussed at length in many posts here - that said i have had no feeding problems with either caliber -

STEINBVG 01-22-2021 08:54 AM

Mec gar is not held by the release

1 Attachment(s)
Just in case bought a new MEC GAR for my brand new Russian Mauser Luger.
It seems a bit thinner than the 2 original magazines- moves slightly left and right in the well.
It appears I can wiggle it out without touching the release, even though I had heard a distinct click of the magazine making home.

I wonder if I shot with it, it might pop out from the action?

Is it matter of Swissesque dimensions?

mrerick 01-22-2021 11:04 AM

Since we're not talking about collectible magazines, I wonder if a little silicone spray on the inside of the magazine body (with the follower pulled down to the lowest position as you spray) would resolve the issue until things wore in a bit?

Just let the silicone dry before trying to load cartridges...

schutzen-jager 01-22-2021 11:35 AM

as i previously stated in older threads i would fully load the new magazine + let it set for 3 or more weeks to improve spring tension to a more appropriate level of functionality - doubt if silicone or any other lube would improve loading problem but might help feeding problem -

rhuff 01-22-2021 01:24 PM

I have to ask if the OP is using a Luger mag tool to assist in loading his new mags?? I would load them fully(tough but can be done), and let them sit for a week or so.

smitter1 01-22-2021 05:20 PM

solved mec-gear mag problem

thanks for all the help. i think i solved problem and maybe posted prematurely.

got a mag loading tool / thumbsaver and loaded three 9MM rounds, a little lube in the mag, and ran the spring up and down a few hundred times and now mag seems to function well with eight .30 luger rounds. havent shot it yet though

thanks again