LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Shooting and Reloading (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   30 Mauser ammo (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=27079)

Neil Young 10-28-2011 05:33 PM

30 Mauser ammo

Midway has not had Fiocci 30 cal. Mauser ammumition for quite a while. However, they do have Prvi Partizan 85 gr. FMJ at a very reasonable price. There were five reviews posted and all were very positive, with three of them from C96 shooters. Does anyone here have any experience with this ammo or have opinions on this manufacturer.

Thanks.

Neil

jonnyc 10-28-2011 05:39 PM

I shoot it in my Bolo, runs fine. Not exceptionally accurate, but that's probably me. It is non-corrosive Boxer, so save the brass.

newluger 10-28-2011 07:01 PM

I use it in my Bolo and M30. No problem. I can't attest to its acuracy, as I am a terrible marksman, but so far, it's been pretty good ammo. I have been using it for about a year and a half. Ditto on saving the brass.

Neil Young 10-28-2011 07:28 PM

Thank you Gentlemen. I'll get some. I think you two might be understating your marksmanship. Take care.

Neil

jonnyc 10-29-2011 10:33 AM

You might be right, they are not natural pointers. But they are interesting and unique pistols, and lots of fun to shoot. My only issue is that as a lefty, the meat of my hand sometimes knocks the safety up just enough on recoil to engage it. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Michael Zeleny 10-30-2011 01:33 AM

The accuracy of Prvi Partizan's 85 gr. FMJ 7.63x25 ammo is OK for me, with groups about three time the size of those produced by my Artillery Lugers. I understand this to comport with proportional accuracy of the C96 w.r.t. the LP08.

The ammo works fine in my well broken-in 1916 Commercial, but is too weak to eject from my barely used early M1930.

Mauser "Broomhandles" are made to point and balance with stocks attached, much more so than long-barreled Lugers that merely happen to work in concert with their board stocks. For their intended social purpose, they remain very effective, much more so than most of their successors not requiring a $200 tax stamp. For example, they are arguably the most effective civilian-legal pistols for going up against ballistic armor.

sheepherder 10-30-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Zeleny (Post 202582)
For example, they are arguably the most effective civilian-legal pistols for going up against ballistic armor.

I would argue that the FMJ 38 Super in a 5" barreled Colt Gov't Model is superior to the 7.63 Mauser for defeating ballistic armor. But I'll save my comments for a dedicated thread on that... ;)

I've never fired either brand of ammunition in a Mauser C96 or M30...I've handloaded my own for years, and have begun buying the 7.63 Mauser brass from Midway recently...

Holding the C96/M30 so that you don't 'limp wrist' it is a chore...Being top-heavy/high center of mass as it is, it naturally wants to 'flip up' while shooting...As Michael points out, a stock is pretty much required for accurate shooting...

...And the ejected cases still plonk me in the forehead... :grr: