LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Holster Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Present from Santa (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=25245)

CAP Black 12-24-2010 06:56 PM

Present from Santa

3 Attachment(s)
I just opened an early Christmas present: a 1915 Arty complete with holster - Wooden Holster that is. I have been trying to get information on Wooden Artillery holsters for a couple of years, but no one listens to me. Several months ago I mentioned that my Dad had brought back one. We still didn't get very far with it because no one gave any credit to the picture from an old book that I had - my Dad's luger and holster were traded away in 1955 or there abouts. Well I now have one and it's real close to being identical to my Dad's. This one has a felt lining. It fits like a glove. It appears to have many German and Luger type design features and craftmanship. It contains some built-in areas for storing cleaning tools, rods, etc. In fact some are in the holster, still yet. Plus the way the parts complement each other and fit to make a whole is quite unique. It appears to be in quite good shape and endured the 95 years very well. I will post some pictures and let the seansoned veterans tell me what I have gotten hooked on. Regardless its like I remembers Dad's being and I found one in only two years of looking.

lugerholsterrepair 12-24-2010 09:17 PM

Jack, I anxiuously await photo's of your wooden Artillery holster.

and I found one in only two years of looking. It took me ten years to find my first authentic Imperial Navy stock....

Jerry Burney

Edward Tinker 12-24-2010 10:04 PM

It does look very much like a C96 wooden stock, I'd love to see them side-by-side as comparassion.

ed

Railsplitter 12-24-2010 10:14 PM

Quite a stocking-stuffer !!

CAP Black 12-25-2010 09:01 AM

The next matter for discussion?

Anybody hazard a guess on what the holster might be worth? A few of the tools are included but I don't have much of an idea of what was provided. The cleaning rod apparently was in two parts and one part is missing. There is a folded up wire type cleaning item with a wire brush attached. That item may not be authentic, as it doesn't have any Luger or Germany ingenuity as a part of it. It has the appearance of Walmart. The part of the rod, nestled in it's place, is unlike any I've ever seen. A barrel swab doesn't match the threads of the provided rod. I would guess that the holster is a proto-type as it doesn't have the fit and finish of the usual Luger quality control - but that is not to say that it's sloppy - just sort of like a start - up deal, if you get what I'm saying. It has a varnish like finish that has a few careless spots but has obviously done well in protecting the unit, because it has survived the 95 years (?) in excellent shape. The interior is felt lined is very well applied and appears to be original. It likewise has withstood the ages in fine condition and makes for a snug and quiet fit for the Arty. The opening for the grip to protrude is also a near perfect fit. The parts mesh as they should. The lid has several functions and is well designed and properly fits and closes tightly and properly aligned.
It's not an exact duplicate of the one my Dad had but it is very close. It has nesting places for tools, etc. that I don't remember being in the one he brought back.
It also makes for a nice shoulder stock and fits and functions just fine.
Thanks for any input and guidance.
Jack

FNorm 12-25-2010 09:51 AM

You mustta been very, very good!

FN

Aaron 12-25-2010 03:49 PM

Is there any number on the stock attaching iron?

CAP Black 12-25-2010 07:38 PM

Can find no number or trace of any number.

chromeed 12-27-2010 08:37 AM

What does the other side look like Is the Hinge on the outside?

Ed Reimbold

alanint 12-27-2010 09:20 AM

From the above photos it looks like the hinge is on the outside.

Not to offend anybody, but the overall look of this holster, especially the inside of this holster looks decidedly home made. I cannot imagine a factory turning out these cuts.

chromeed 12-27-2010 09:36 AM

If one (I) were to make one do you think it would be better to cover the whole grip and add a place for a spare Magazine in front of it?
What is the total thickness width and length of the Wood stock?
Ed Reimbold

John Sabato 12-27-2010 09:59 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but IMHO, I am +1 for "homemade" This is not a factory product... and probably middle eastern in origin... just from a quality viewpoint...

The wood certainly does not look very old and the craftsmanship looks like it was done with slave labor using worn out saws and files.

Sorry, but I don't see anything that looks like authentic or original to me. Even the green felt interior is way too new for this to be an original item.

The Artillery Luger on the other hand, is VERY original... a fine old war horse.

Vlim 12-27-2010 10:53 AM

Factory original or not, I like the idea, but on a practical side: How would one wear a stock like this? You would need a leather carrying set, similar to the C96 ones, in order to carry it on the belt or on a loop.

DWM did play around with wooden stocks used as holsters, not that strange as it was well-established with the Mauser C96 pistol already. Görtz referenced to a report from the German G.P.K. (Rifle Proofing Committee) on a stock that doubled as a holster in 1912. It was shortlived, as references from 1913 show that a leather holster was used to store the pistol.

Anyway, it's a cool piece of kit which is probably quite comfortable to shoot also.

Aaron 12-27-2010 11:32 AM

May I point out that since this is not an original artillery stock, nor even a close facsimile of one, it is most probably illegal to use it in conjunction with an artillery Luger, and its use would be severely frowned upon by the BATF

John Sabato 12-27-2010 01:21 PM

Good Point Aaron...

CAP Black 12-27-2010 01:44 PM

Picture

2 Attachment(s)
I think I have attached a picture from a book of the 1950's of one just like my Dad brought back. It is quite similar if I can remember from 1955 or thereabouts.
I surely do appreciates the insights.
Many thanks
Jack:
:typing:

CAP Black 12-27-2010 02:13 PM

another try

I will try a different angle on the picture project.
I stated that it has some appearances of perhaps being a proto-type. The ideas and concepts seem to be great and the fit of the gun and the way it closes and tightly fits and all seem very well done. The felt is applied nicely and could be 95 years old - I don't know. The way the compartments are done and the tool for cleaning the barrel appear to be good enough.
Many more thanks

CAP Black 12-27-2010 06:54 PM

more info

The dimensions are: 15.5 inches long; 4 3/4 inches wide at the lid end; 2 inches thick at the lid end; and 1 5/8 inches at the mid-section.
One observation was that with no belt loop or belt hooks it would need a harness strap arrangment to carry it. Yes, and those straps would have had leather pouches attached for holding the magazines.
thanks again, fellas
Jack
:typing:

CAP Black 12-28-2010 12:01 PM

Cleaning tool

1 Attachment(s)
Attached ( I hope) are pictures of the top part of the barrel cleaning tool contained in one slot in the holster. Can anybody shed any light on this tool. Good, bad or ugly?
thanx
Jack

CAP Black 12-28-2010 12:11 PM

Pics of Broomhandle holster

2 Attachment(s)
Am attaching copies of Boomy holster for comparison. Notice hinge on exterior.