LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   New to the Forum and to Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=35482)

Topkick 03-24-2016 03:24 PM

New to the Forum and to Lugers

4 Attachment(s)
Hi folks. I'm new to the forum and I just purchased my first Luger. It's a DWM Weimar Police Pistol. It's not a collector piece (having been reblued) but it is all matching numbers except for the Magazine. I just bought the book "Lugers at Random" from a forum member here and was wondering if anyone can recommend additional books. This will probably be my one and only Luger, they are priced well out of my reach, but I've always wanted one. Also do you folks recommend that I get a spring replacement kit and upgrade the current springs. Sorry to ask so many questions, but my expertise is M1 Garands and like I said this is my first time owning a Luger. Thanks in advance for any help.Attachment 57440

Attachment 57441

Attachment 57442

Attachment 57443

Zorba 03-24-2016 04:30 PM

At the very least replace the main spring (recoil) if you're going to shoot it.

mrerick 03-24-2016 04:37 PM

It's an interesting Luger... 1920/1921 double date. Security police Berlin unit marking. The fit of the stocks makes it look like they were replaced when it was refinished.

It doesn't look like it was buffed to death either. Reasonably sharp edges look good.

If you replace the recoil spring, get the correct one. There is a table in the new FAQs.

Marc

alanint 03-24-2016 04:54 PM

Welcome to the forum! A nice Weimar era shooter.

I agree that the grips are modern reproductions, but they look good on the pistol.

DavidJayUden 03-24-2016 06:44 PM

It looks like the markings aren't compromised and the sharp edges remain after the re-blue job. A very nice shooter!
It appears on the photos that the trigger, takedown lever, safety lever and mag. release button at all blued. Correct? On that vintage gun they should have been straw colored, and that is an easy do-it-yourself process that, IMHO, would enhance the beauty of your gun. If that interests you take a look around the forum for details.
Nice gun and welcome to the forum!
dju

Edward Tinker 03-24-2016 08:35 PM

welcome to the forum - I hang out at the CMP forum several times a week and like M1 Carbines too. But I'm a luger guy.

The FAQ lists other books to get and also you can do a search (too tired not to think selfishly {Police Lugers :D }
Nice representative piece :)

Sergio Natali 03-25-2016 02:36 AM

Welcome to this LUGER forum, so far I've never had a Garand, but I'm not an expert on Lugers either, as everybody already said you found an interesting piece, still in good shape and not too much refurbished.
Congratulations and be careful, Lugers are addictive.

Best.

Topkick 03-25-2016 07:05 AM

Sergio,
If you think Lugers are addictive, then try shooting a Garand. I first fired one 6 years ago and now I own or have owned more than 50 of them. I sure hope the Luger bug doesn't hit me:thumbup:

Curly1 03-25-2016 07:54 AM

Welcome to the forum, nice shooter you have, enjoy.

rhuff 03-25-2016 05:17 PM

A very attractive shooter Luger. You did well in your FIRST purchase!! They are very addictive, but a good addiction.....though expensive. If you plan to shoot your Luger, stick with std. velocity FMJ ammo, and purchase a modern aftermarket Mec-Gar mag to use in place of the wood base mag(they break easily when old). Enjoy!!

CAP Black 03-26-2016 07:22 PM

Topkick:

You already have an affinity for guns. Be careful the Luger bug might get you.
Jack

alanint 03-27-2016 01:19 PM

I would also first replace your wooden based magazine for an Italian Mec Gar for shooting. The wood base on yours is already damaged, very likely cracked and will eventually split completely under the tension of a full load of ammunition.

Contact GT, (Gerald Tomic) here on the site for a new wood base or repair for your existing magazine.

Topkick 03-27-2016 01:30 PM

Thanks to all for their comments and suggestions. I've ordered a couple of books, a MecGar magazine, take down tool and a Wolff Luger service pack 1 replacement spring kit. I hope that's enough to get me started. :)