LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Holster Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   1939 holster (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40338)

Major Tom 04-20-2020 09:42 AM

1939 holster

A few months ago, I took my 1939 Mauser code 42 luger and a dated 1939 holster to Simpsons in Galesburg, Ill for them to sell. An older gentleman came out from the back room to look it over. He criticised the luger as being reblued (I knew that) as well as frost in the bore (knew that too, but it was very accurate). He really blasted the holster that it was modified. Holster was complete and in excellent condition. He said it had a huge piece of leather missing (?). So, with all that I put a rather low price on it ($2400). It sold immediately! I think I got screwed! Since then I have looked at many holsters that looked exactly like mine. I do not trust the so called experts at Simpsons anymore! Rant over!

gunbugs 04-20-2020 09:51 AM

Plus, that was a bit of a drive to get there. I've made the drive from Westchester,IA to Galesburg, then up to Geneseo. Took some time and gas. That was about 20 years ago though. Do you have any pictures of your holster to post? We would all be interested to see what the deal was.

lugerholsterrepair 04-20-2020 11:29 AM

Yes, Photo's are going to be necessary here.

wlyon 04-20-2020 11:30 AM

I am not a fan of Simpson's but for a reblued luger with a so so barrel and holster $2400 sounds high to me. Bill

lugerholsterrepair 04-20-2020 11:57 AM

Bill seems spot on. I was going to say much the same but busy surfing & drinking coffee.

Major Tom 04-20-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlyon (Post 331040)
I am not a fan of Simpson's but for a reblued luger with a so so barrel and holster $2400 sounds high to me. Bill

Also included was a special made presentation box with original WW2 medals, pennant flag, display ammo and coins. The display box with medals, etc. was easily worth $200+. I bought the holster from a reputable dealer of such and paid $250. The pistol was all matching with 1 original magazine and 2 Mecgar magazines. The reblue was an older profressional one.

lugerholsterrepair 04-20-2020 12:19 PM

Paul Harvey used to say" and now for the rest of the story"

Major Tom 04-21-2020 08:07 AM

I would love to post photos but alas cannot!

hayhugh 04-21-2020 09:12 AM

Ain't ya got no camera/cell phone?

DonVoigt 04-21-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major Tom (Post 331068)
I would love to post photos but alas cannot!

Sure you can, just try harder!

Major Tom 04-22-2020 10:08 AM

Well, the holster is long gone and I have no photos of it. Simpsons pointed out that the holster had a large part of leather removed to the left of pull up strap making a deep U shape there. But, like I said, I have seen that in other holsters too. So, maybe Bubba did a lot of holsters back in the day?

lugerholsterrepair 04-22-2020 01:11 PM

Tom, This is called the "cowboy" cut and pretty much reduces a Luger holster to junk value. Yes, it was a fairly common thing to do after WW2 but none the less it ruins collectability.

grantman 04-25-2020 07:32 PM

Cowboy cut

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 331095)
Tom, This is called the "cowboy" cut and pretty much reduces a Luger holster to junk value. Yes, it was a fairly common thing to do after WW2 but none the less it ruins collectability.

Jerry: I have(sadly) seen this on other holsters. Didn't know what it was called. Not surprised re loss of collector value.

Thanks for the info.

G

lugerholsterrepair 04-25-2020 07:50 PM

G, The Luger was developed and fielded by the German military when the horse was a common mode of transport. Or not long after the horseless carriage, the tin lizzie & model T which threw about the same amount of mud! The Luger, being the finely machined mechanism that it is, was not immune to dirt, mud & other debris that it could be exposed to on a regular military basis. Horses were particularly bad. They would throw mud EVERYWHERE! Any exposure in a holster that would allow entry was not going to work. Thus, the Germans nested the Luger deep inside with a tight top cover. It was/became necessary to not only unbuckle the top but then pull up on a strap to bring the pistol out far enough to get a finger or two under the handle. When these German holsters began to come to the US after WW1 American owners/users didn't understand this system of protection and found it to be extremely alien to the US culture, especially western quick draw culture. Hence the name..cowboy cut.

I have to confess I took the same approach to my AR15. Ever since carrying an M16 for 2 years in combat I always detested the two finger grasp to pull the T handle charger to get the bolt out of battery. Then a rediculous thumb push to seat the bolt. So I had a new upper machined and a charging handle attached to the bolt. I don't need to close a door on my bolt. It makes my AR into a REALLY easy to use rifle. It's pure genius and a modification I am really surprised no major manufacturer has taken up to boost sales of Ar's.