LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Feed jam bullet pointing above chamber (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41875)

DHass 07-28-2022 07:11 PM

Feed jam bullet pointing above chamber
 
What is a cause that i a non-smith can check?
Ejector / spring?

G.T. 07-28-2022 08:46 PM

Hi David!
 
Are you still having that issue? If so, let me take it to the range, trouble shoot, and allivate the problem for you, no charge. It is not opening the breechblock back enough to get fuly behind the cartridge. The PPU ammo should have addressed that? Let me know as we are not done until your Luger is running correctly... Best, til....lat'r.....GT
BTW, although i don't think it is the problem, the tight fork might be causing a dynamic drag between breechblock and receiver... We can correct... best, til.....lat'r....GT....:cheers:

gunbugs 07-28-2022 11:46 PM

"limp wristing" could be a contributing factor.

rhuff 07-29-2022 02:53 PM

Perhaps your recoil spring is too strong, but give the gun to GT and he will get it sorted out so that it runs reliably.

Vlim 07-30-2022 06:53 AM

Also check the magazine. Post war Mauser magazines are not very good. If a Mec Gar doesn't feed well, it's not the magazine.

Dwight Gruber 07-31-2022 04:02 PM

What ammunition are you using? This is problem commonly associated with using ammunition with a too-short overall cartridge length. Modern SAAMI specs include a minimum oal for 9x19 parabellum which is as much as 2mm shorter than the original DWM minimum specification.



--Dwight

Doubs 07-31-2022 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight Gruber (Post 345108)
What ammunition are you using? This is problem commonly associated with using ammunition with a too-short overall cartridge length. Modern SAAMI specs include a minimum oal for 9x19 parabellum which is as much as 2mm shorter than the original DWM minimum specification. --Dwight

That is an excellent point. While SAAMI concerns itself with specs that keep the cartridge safe for use in firearms chambered for it, they are not concerned about reliable mechanical functioning of any specific firearm. SAAMI 9mm Luger cartridge specs for OAL are from 1.000" ~ 1.169".

The first issue 9mm Luger cartridge used a truncated cone bullet of 123 grains and an OAL of 29.2mm or 1.150". That changed in 1916 to the round nose bullet profile and I do not know what OAL they used.

I reload and any 9mm cartridge I put together must function in my Lugers. I use three different bullets at the moment. I load a 115 grain TC bullet to 1.100" OAL, a 115 grain RN to 1.155" OAL and a 124 grain HP to 1.150" OAL. Some 9mm pistols I have will not function with the TC load as the chambers are not cut with a long enough lead and they won't fully seat. The bullet ogive jams into the lands. The picture below is my TC load.

https://i.imgur.com/y4QI4dt.jpg

DHass 08-01-2022 09:47 PM

Thanks to all.

Everything is fine now. Both factory mags are working now.
It was my stupidity.
I was limp wristing unbraced manually working the action andnot clearing the mag.

Kiwi 08-02-2022 01:55 PM

Oh!, I met the enemy, and it was me

Glad resolved

gunbugs 08-02-2022 06:13 PM

I win!

Sieger 09-12-2022 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubs (Post 345109)
That is an excellent point. While SAAMI concerns itself with specs that keep the cartridge safe for use in firearms chambered for it, they are not concerned about reliable mechanical functioning of any specific firearm. SAAMI 9mm Luger cartridge specs for OAL are from 1.000" ~ 1.169".

The first issue 9mm Luger cartridge used a truncated cone bullet of 123 grains and an OAL of 29.2mm or 1.150". That changed in 1916 to the round nose bullet profile and I do not know what OAL they used.

I reload and any 9mm cartridge I put together must function in my Lugers. I use three different bullets at the moment. I load a 115 grain TC bullet to 1.100" OAL, a 115 grain RN to 1.155" OAL and a 124 grain HP to 1.150" OAL. Some 9mm pistols I have will not function with the TC load as the chambers are not cut with a long enough lead and they won't fully seat. The bullet ogive jams into the lands. The picture below is my TC load.

https://i.imgur.com/y4QI4dt.jpg

Doubs,

What brand 115 TC are you loading, as the meplat on your illustrated bullet is quite wide?

What 124 grain hollow point are you loading?

Original DWM specs. for a round nose bullet was 1.73 inches, though I have measured several German Military rounds at 1.169 inches.

Thanks!

Sieger

Doubs 09-12-2022 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieger (Post 345508)
Doubs, What brand 115 TC are you loading, as the meplat on your illustrated bullet is quite wide?

What 124 grain hollow point are you loading?

Original DWM specs. for a round nose bullet was 1.73 inches, though I have measured several German Military rounds at 1.169 inches.

Thanks! Sieger

Hi Sieger,

The TC bullet is made by Berry's and is a plated bullet, 115 grains. For chambers that will not accept the cartridge as seen - OAL of 1.100" - I seat the bullet slightly deeper.

So far, the TC bullet feeds very well in every 9mm I've used them in.

The 124 grain HP is also a plated bullet but made by Xtreme and sold by Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop. Xtreme is a little more expensive than Berry Bullets but is well made.

Walker


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2022, Lugerforum.com