LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Krieghoff Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Kreighoff firing pin protrusion gage (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=37331)

DonVoigt 06-25-2017 09:49 PM

Kreighoff firing pin protrusion gage

3 Attachment(s)
My friend Tim loaned me his Kreighoff gage so I could make a gage for myself.

Thought all would like to see the gage.

Firing pin protrusion from the bolt face specs are between 1.1mm(min) and 1.35mm(max).

The 1.1mm side of the gage is placed against the breech block to the side of the firing pin, the pin must not pass under the cut out; if it does it is too short.
Flip the gage around, and the 1.35mm side should pass over the firing pin, if it does not - it is too long.

A long pin tip can be stoned to shorten it, the tip should also be nicely rounded, not "pointy".:)

Also shown is one of the gages I made in similar pattern; I chose to "straw" mine.:cheers:

lugerholsterrepair 06-26-2017 12:21 AM

Don, I don't mean to pick a nit here but they don't look the same?

Is the overall original pattern profile important to inserting the tool into the pistol for measurement? Or is this measured with the bolt out?

What is the round notch at the top for?

DonVoigt 06-26-2017 10:24 AM

Jerry,
the overall profile is a little different and does not matter, the tool is grasped in the center area- it is only either end that is used. I could have reduced the width with two more milling cuts, but it would have been a waste of time for me; I left "mine" the width of the stock I used. It is meant to be used, not a "reproduction".

It is used with the toggle/bolt out; with the toggle in and back- the striker/firing pin is retracted.

I have no idea why there is a notch at the top, Tim had two HK tools, the notches were in both, but they were different sizes. We surmised that they were a fixturing notch for use in mfg.???

Good eye and good questions; I glad someone read the post!

lugerholsterrepair 06-26-2017 01:22 PM

Don, Well very cool anyway..It's a fairly simple thing but seems important to check? Pierced primers, misfires and all that!

Thanks for the edumacation..I could have reduced the width with two minutes on my giant bubba bench grinder..two more milling cuts? La TI DA!

Anyway good job! If I can find time I might hack one out with my grinder and a hack saw..might use a bastard file if I want it purty. But leather calls...

DonVoigt 06-26-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 304676)
Don, Well very cool anyway..It's a fairly simple thing but seems important to check? Pierced primers, misfires and all that!

Thanks for the edumacation..I could have reduced the width with two minutes on my giant bubba bench grinder..two more milling cuts? La TI DA!

Anyway good job! If I can find time I might hack one out with my grinder and a hack saw..might use a bastard file if I want it purty. But leather calls...

Yes, only 2 more, but after 10 already - I was done!

As I said the width at that point is irrelevant- wider is actually an "improvement" if you have fat fingers.:cheers:

g5m 05-04-2018 11:24 PM

Could you give the dimensions? I might want to make one instead of buying an original.

Vlim 05-05-2018 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 2 East German ones here. No notch on the top.

Vlim 05-05-2018 06:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Note that the firing pin gauge is numbered 2 207.

This chamber gauge, 8.88mm, is numberef 2 206.