LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Holster Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Info Help on Holster Part 1 (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41080)

sdmark777 04-26-2021 06:46 PM

Info Help on Holster Part 1

10 Attachment(s)
I went to a gun shop today and adopted two orphaned Luger holsters. I am looking for any and all info you folks can provide as to period, etc. Any ballparks on value appreciated. They are a little rough, but complete and original. I am posting a part 1 and part 2 to avoid confusion.

Part 1: Brown finish, no maker stamps. Inside flap stamped in ink with best I can make out, "Sanit. Komp. 3" and "XIV. AK" Please correct me if those of you with knowledge can decipher it better.

Based upon my google search I believe this stamp translates to the Sanitäts-Kompanie 3 / 29th Infantry Division / 14th Army Corps / 7th Army. This WWI German Medical Unit was established August 2, 1914. This is based on my research, I am ignorant as to how the military organizations are formed, so please correct me as needed.

So, can anyone confirm this holster is from a WWI Medical Unit? Common, uncommon? Any help appreciated, Mark

Oh, the adoption fee was $40.00 I like it better than that pretty Pakistani one for $39.00 in the other thread.:rolleyes:

gunnertwo 04-26-2021 07:38 PM

No way would I pass at $40. Give it some tender love with Connolys. I'm sure Jerry will post too.

G2

spangy 04-26-2021 07:38 PM

I am not 100% on this but XIV. AK stands for 14th army korps I believe and Sanit.Komp 3. actually stands for Sanitiats Kompanie 3 - which translates as Bavarian Medic Regiment/Company - or the German equivalent of the The Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC).

BUT don't bet the farm on the above translation as I am not an expert.

PS: I agree with gunnertwo ... for $40.00 I would gladly adopt the holster.

Edward Tinker 04-26-2021 10:50 PM

Connolys will slightly darken it, but that is what I would use and it will look great.

You did outstanding!

Ed

GerColctor 05-31-2021 02:41 PM

Not unusual for the maker's stamp that was pressed into the leather to have been obliterated or become unreadable over the past century. Nice pickup, with a clear medical unit mark.

If you treat it with Connolly's you should be able to restore some of its lost life and it will look a lot better. Also, that simple treatment helps extend the life of the leather if stored correctly.

sdmark777 06-10-2021 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
UPDATE:
I was looking over this holster again today. Much to my surprise and pleasure I noticed something I had completely overlooked and missed on all my prior inspections. Under the flap I found the date of "1911" stamped!!! I happened to view it in just the right light at just the right angle. I am not an expert on holsters from this era and I was distracted by the ink stamping of the Sanit. Komp. Old eyes didn't help either. So mystery solved. Now I know it was a pre war German Medical Company holster. Now I guess I need to find a 1911 Military Luger to go with it.:rolleyes: