LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   $3500 for a bringback? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=36957)

Sky Zero 04-09-2017 10:14 PM

$3500 for a bringback?

hey guys. First off, sorry I don't have pictures. secondly, at my local gun shop, there's a guy selling his luger AT the gun shop for $3500 and he's saying it's a bringback. It's a 1941, mauser. The ouside has matching numbers and all that and I haven't had a chance to tear it down and see if everything else is matching. It has a holster with it (says it's not matching but were they issued matched?).

Anway, if it's truly legit after I break it down, is a bringback really worth $3500?? Thanks guys!

Jim Mac 04-09-2017 10:56 PM

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. My question to you is are you willing to pay $3500 If you decide to take it down and something like the main spring decides to break when it's in your hand. Whenever I see something I'm interested in that I feel is overpriced (not saying this gun is) or it's more than I'm willing to pay. I will look at it but will not take a chance on having something break while it's in my hand.
I would agree on a price I can live with before I attempted to take it apart. Jim

Sky Zero 04-09-2017 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Mac (Post 301369)
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. My question to you is are you willing to pay $3500 If you decide to take it down and something like the main spring decides to break when it's in your hand. Whenever I see something I'm interested in that I feel is overpriced (not saying this gun is) or it's more than I'm willing to pay. I will look at it but will not take a chance on having something break while it's in my hand.
I would agree on a price I can live with before I attempted to take it apart. Jim

Thanks, that's good advice. Just curious if like I DO take it apart and it is all in order, would $3500 be WAY over priced? I bought my 1941 about 6 years ago and I paid $1950, which was top dollar then.

Anways, thanks Jim!

alanint 04-10-2017 09:33 AM

The price is a fantasy, based on your description so far. A 41 dated Mauser would be in the $1,500 range, more or less, depending on condition and other factors.

DonVoigt 04-10-2017 09:44 AM

You say "bring back" like it is something bad. Nearly all or most or many lugers are bring backs- especially the "good" ones.

That said a '41 Mauser for $3500 is not a reasonable price, as said above $1500 plus or minus depending on condition, matching mags, holster etc. This seller is "dreaming", but then some one may just buy it because they don't know the market.

For some reason "Nazi" lugers seem to bring way more $$ than the equivalent condition Imperial luger, must be the "mystique"?

wlyon 04-10-2017 09:51 AM

Agree with all the above. Way over priced. Bill

JTD 04-10-2017 11:07 AM

Is it a Banner? 3500 seems high unless a variant that changes the whole story. Holsters issued thru a depot, not with the luger from factory. That said, It very well may have been captured with the pistol in it during the war.

abukafura 04-10-2017 11:29 AM

Agree with all of the above. This one is way overpriced regardless of what it is. Sounds like the original owner is overly attached to it emotionally

alanint 04-10-2017 12:43 PM

Or his wife is making him sell it.......

John Sabato 04-10-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanint (Post 301392)
Or his wife is making him sell it.......

Ouch ! :eek: :order:

Sky Zero 04-10-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanint (Post 301380)
The price is a fantasy, based on your description so far. A 41 dated Mauser would be in the $1,500 range, more or less, depending on condition and other factors.

that's what I thought. Thanks for the insight!

I didn't mean bringback as a bad thing; I'm new-ish to these lugers so maybe a bringback means papers? I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what banner is :/ And thanks for the holster insight!

Haha yeah I'm not sure but I did ask the gun store why it's priced so high. Some guy told me that it was priced at what it's worth. I said it seemed a little high because I overpaid for my 41 at $2000 a few years back and it's 'all matching', for whatever that's worth. Maybe he doesn't know how to use the internet? Could be an older gentleman who doesn't have a computer or really care enough to find the true value.

I hope he drops the price. It's a pretty nice one, from what I can see on the outside. I'll take some pictures next time I'm there and you guys (which you're better at it than me) can maybe tell if it's been re-blued or whatever.

Anyway, Thanks all!

JTD 04-10-2017 09:20 PM

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...63e59f41d0415c

Not claiming good prices, but certain variations can climb up to that mark. How fast they sell is another thing. Main reason for post was to show OP what a 41 Mauser banner is. John

Sky Zero 04-10-2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTD (Post 301412)

Not claiming good prices, but certain variations can climb up to that mark. How fast they sell is another thing. Main reason for post was to show OP what a 41 Mauser banner is. John

awesome, thanks for the info

Mac Cat 04-11-2017 09:43 AM

That Luger would have to have a pretty good story to go along with it, to rate that kind of value. Was there more to the sale than just the pistol ?
What makes a bring back so valuable is often who brought it and why.

4 Scale 04-11-2017 12:31 PM

In my experience many if not most Lugers offered for sale are overpriced so this one is "normal" in that respect, with the caveat that good photos are always needed in a discussion of value. And, many Lugers are offered with stories but unless impecably documented such tales should be considered sales talk.

DonVoigt 04-11-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky Zero (Post 301408)
that's what I thought. Thanks for the insight!

I didn't mean bringback as a bad thing; I'm new-ish to these lugers so maybe a bringback means papers? I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what banner is :/ And thanks for the holster insight!

Haha yeah I'm not sure but I did ask the gun store why it's priced so high. Some guy told me that it was priced at what it's worth. I said it seemed a little high because I overpaid for my 41 at $2000 a few years back and it's 'all matching', for whatever that's worth. Maybe he doesn't know how to use the internet? Could be an older gentleman who doesn't have a computer or really care enough to find the true value.

I hope he drops the price. It's a pretty nice one, from what I can see on the outside. I'll take some pictures next time I'm there and you guys (which you're better at it than me) can maybe tell if it's been re-blued or whatever.

Anyway, Thanks all!

I would not hold my breath for him to cut the price in half!:eek:

ithacaartist 04-11-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 Scale (Post 301432)
In my experience many if not most Lugers offered for sale are overpriced so this one is "normal" in that respect, with the caveat that good photos are always needed in a discussion of value. And, many Lugers are offered with stories but unless impecably documented such tales should be considered sales talk.

Yep. Buy the gun, not the story.

Sky Zero 04-12-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac Cat (Post 301426)
That Luger would have to have a pretty good story to go along with it, to rate that kind of value. Was there more to the sale than just the pistol ?
What makes a bring back so valuable is often who brought it and why.

Not really. Just an FXO mag with an extra unidentifiable mag, a holster with no tool and the gun itself

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 Scale (Post 301432)

This is true

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 301442)
I would not hold my breath for him to cut the price in half!:eek:

Hey man, a new collector can dream right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithacaartist (Post 301456)
Yep. Buy the gun, not the story.

I do need to remember this.