LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Navy Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Engraved Navy (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=39900)

Proofed 09-26-2019 05:21 AM

Engraved Navy

10 Attachment(s)
Some will love it some will hate it, it is what it is and my position is clear as I own it. Always wanted an engraved luger and this one is it. There is a story behind it of a WW2 U-Boat connection, an early luger presented to a U-Boat Captain. I have no proof of this however it came with 2 early U-Boat books (in German) and an album with an officers Family photo's. The inlay on the chamber is of a U-Boat. I did not buy it for an investment and have it because of what it is. I have gotten to the point where I don't trust what I hear and until there's proof of the story take it with a grain of salt. The grips are mismatched and not for this pistol.

Proofed 09-26-2019 05:29 AM

Engraved 2

10 Attachment(s)
MoreEngraved Pics

Proofed 09-26-2019 05:55 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Captain Hans Erwin Reith surrendered U-190 to the Canadian Navy at wars end

hayhugh 09-26-2019 07:10 AM

Is that Captain Reiths "dog tag"? I would not kick that Luger out of my safe!

lugerholsterrepair 09-26-2019 11:16 AM

WOW! Great presentation!

rhuff 09-26-2019 02:11 PM

I would have ZERO problems owning that Navy Luger. I am green with envy......Congrats!! :thumbup:

HerrKaiser 09-26-2019 03:21 PM

Jaw dropping craftsmanship. That pistol would be a centerpiece in virtually any collection. The only things I can think of that I would even bother entertaining taking over it would be a “GL” marked Luger or the original US Test .45 Luger.

lugerholsterrepair 09-26-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrKaiser (Post 327899)
Jaw dropping craftsmanship. That pistol would be a centerpiece in virtually any collection. The only things I can think of that I would even bother entertaining taking over it would be a “GL” marked Luger or the original US Test .45 Luger.

OK, Lets not go crazy. But let us tell what we see...The matching magazine bottom is fake. A Nazi Eagle and matching numbers is an alarming tell..it tells me somebody gave some though to this but not enough. Anything like this is a big red pointed arrow to say..take a closer look.

The engraving..deluxe factory engraving, especially full coverage is extensive but elegant in it's coverage. What I see here is the overuse of stippling circles into dead spaces. Also crosshatching on places like the backstrap and side of the trigger ..WAY overkill.

The grips, the right grip looks Dutch. On a German presentation piece..one would certainly expect to see the grips that came with the pistol. AND on one such as this..perhaps some wood carving to boot?

The gold inlay. Typical of American inscribers, certainly not German. Too..look at the gold sub over the chamber. Could be a cigar. It just doesn't/isn't clear enough for German presentation IMO. Not compared to anything else the Germans used like the U-boat badge.

It's a neat gun and as the OP says it is what it is..but let's tell it like it is.

HerrKaiser 09-26-2019 09:24 PM

I agree that it is what it is, raw collectible value diminished due to modifications and stated mismatching parts, I just find it very aesthetically pleasing to look at regardless. Might just be a product of my youth and getting overly “wowed” at these things. After all, I am in the generation that largely thinks that “style” on a firearm is what generic color of the rainbow they decided to get their Glock in, or how many attachments they can throw onto their AR platform.

Scottrt 09-26-2019 10:12 PM

I don't see a Nazi eagle on the magazine bottom. I see a crown over m.

lugerholsterrepair 09-26-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottrt (Post 327902)
I don't see a Nazi eagle on the magazine bottom. I see a crown over m.

Gott In Himmel! You are correct! Looking at it from a weird angle I made a huge mistake! Mea culpa...Guess I'm losing it.

Norme 09-26-2019 10:28 PM

While certainly not factory, I think the engraving is rather well done. The gold inlays, on the other hand, look very crude and are certainly not contemporary to the engraving. In other words, I think the connection to Captain Reith and U-190 is just hogwash.
Norm

DonVoigt 09-26-2019 10:52 PM

The OP is happy with his engraved luger; 'nuff said.

Proofed 09-26-2019 10:55 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Could very well be hogwash as far as I know, no matter its still top shelf to me.

A close up of the dog tag which I know nothing about, is it a repo or a real one. Some pics of the rounds.

Later will send pics of the books and some photos from the album

Does anyone know what this pin represents

Would hogwash still get me a link to the navy list ?

tenbears 09-27-2019 12:16 AM

This is only the second pimp gun Navy Luger I have seen. The first one I posted pics on Still's forum years ago it even had fake 1ST Torpedo Div unit marks.

Ron Wood 09-27-2019 12:18 AM

Mom always told me, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. I am not saying anything.
Ron

gunbugs 09-27-2019 12:57 AM

My guess, having seen comparable engraving on a number of sporting rifles, is it is postwar (WW2), done in Europe, probably Germany, at the request of a GI or some such. Entertaining to look at though. Wonder what the old girl looked like before they got started?

Norme 09-27-2019 07:56 AM

Hi Wayne,
Of course you deserve the Navy List, 1906 Navy #277 is still a Navy. Just send me a PM with your email address.
Norm

Sergio Natali 09-27-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wood (Post 327908)
Mom always told me, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. I am not saying anything.
Ron

I agree, mine used to say something very similar, but after all this is forum where we talk about a common interest.
Well coming to that luger, in my humble opinion it' a fine pistol, but I've always been very suspicious in front of an engraved Luger.
Luger pistols were mainly used by non commissioned officers, then I can't find anymore that article by Klaus Leibnitz called "Collecting engraved Luger Pistols or caveat emptor!".

Roadster 02 09-27-2019 04:40 PM

That is a nice Luger despite the naysaying. I would not be ashamed to own it at all, I would suspect most of the "Luger Elitist's" on this forum secretly would also.