LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Shooting and Reloading (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Luger Lubrication (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=16707)

A.Mifsin 05-24-2012 10:42 AM

" Anyone use balistol? "

Yes, I use it on all my guns, it is even safe on wood.
Alf.

John Sabato 05-24-2012 10:58 AM

Postino, I worked with a guy many years ago who constantly spouted obscure "facts," much to the annoiance of his colleagues...

He was known as "a vast wasteland of information"... somehow I don't think you fit into that category... :thumbup:

-John

RAY1946 06-03-2012 06:25 PM

I have been catching up on the treads and decided to see what all I have been missing. On postings #49 or 50, there was a mention made of a lube very similar or was indeed Vaseline. I used to use Vaseline on all my guns when I was in high school and they really worked well.

About 12 or 15 years ago I found a 100% synthetic equivalent of Vaseline. It is called: Permatex Industrial "Super Lube", a Multi-Purpose Synthetic Lubricant With Teflon. This stuff has a working range of -65- +500 degrees Fahrenheit.

This stuff is almost the exact consistancy of Vaseline, and it has Teflon. According to the label, it"reduces friction and wear"; prevents rust and corrosion;won't melt,wash-out or separate;won't attract dust; and is odorless, clean and non staining; plus has the added lubricity of Teflon.

I have used this tuff on my Lugers and most of my other guns and it works great........................

earlyluger 07-18-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpaw1 (Post 123212)
Im glad to hear im not the only one who doesnt like the smell of Breakfree. I dont mind Hoppes, or Remoil or even Gunscrubber for that matter. But for some reason, Breakfree smells really bad to me.

Funny. I think the opposite is true. I hate the smell of Hoppe's, Remoil and Gunscrubber but like BreakFree CLP. To each his own I guess. I use CLP for lube.

direw0lf 12-25-2012 08:53 PM

Has anyone tried Frog Lube? I've been using it for a few months now and have had great results. No rust, good lubrication and its not bad as a cleaner.

Sieger 01-11-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlyluger (Post 216782)
Funny. I think the opposite is true. I hate the smell of Hoppe's, Remoil and Gunscrubber but like BreakFree CLP. To each his own I guess. I use CLP for lube.

Ha!!

As I said earlier, who goes around smelling old Lugers anyway!?!

If you can stand it, I do believe it is the better "Clean Lube and Preserve" out there, and at a reasonable price.

Sieger

Jim Cate 01-11-2013 05:04 PM

Try RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) tradename, found in many sporting goods stores. Comes in small cans or tubes. I've used it for 45+ years and NEVER had a rust problem or found it to harden.

Sieger 01-12-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cate (Post 226833)
Try RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) tradename, found in many sporting goods stores. Comes in small cans or tubes. I've used it for 45+ years and NEVER had a rust problem or found it to harden.

Hi:

I tried this on a vintage Mauser 98/09 around 1969 or so and not only found it to harden but also to attract moisture after doing so. This was my only and last experience with the stuff. Of course the modern formula might be quite different.

Sieger

rhuff 01-12-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cate (Post 226833)

I have not found RIG to harden, but in my climate in So. Az. it does turn to liquid during the many hot months that we experience. I still use it occasionally, but have been most pleased with TW25b, and it is my go-to lube product.

kzullick 01-12-2013 06:19 PM

I also use Superlube, I never found a better lubricant and it's even food grade safe. Cabelas carries it in small tubes.

Levi 42 02-12-2013 04:09 PM

I don't post much here but I like how this subject got resurrected and I thought I'd note that I have used Hoppes 9 and Kroll oil at a 50/50 mix as a bore cleaner for probably 10 years. I also use this mix to clean up the crud around the ejector area of most of the semi-auto pistols I own, then CLP or Rem-oil.

Breakfree CLP is used on most of my trap guns for cleaning crud along with my 50/50 bore mix but my lube on them is the same one I use for my M1 Garands "Plastilube".

As a side note: Do you know how to tell when you have an inexperienced gun guy at a "Big Box" sporting good store?
When you ask them where they have the Breakfree and they suggest you must go to an Autoparts store!!!!!:roflmao:
Happened to me at a Gander Mt store here.

Levi

Peter 10-30-2013 02:32 AM

BALLISTOL was made for Luger Parabellums or was the Luger Parabellum made for Ballistol ?

Sergio Natali 10-30-2013 07:07 AM

On the guns that I use at the range I use some sort of cleaning solvent like Jerry does, then I clean extremely well inside the barrels with a brass cleaning brush. I've always used Ballistol oil and in some bits Tetra gun grease. The final touch is given with a very thin layer of Finsuper teflon oil. In any case I always clean very very well, the inside of the barrel must remain very clean and dry from any grease.
Despite what it seems I use a very little amount of lubrication.
Generally I get all my collectibles out of the safe at least once a month, I check them for rust, and I clean them all with Finsuper teflon oil, or with a silicon cloth, just to pamper them a bit :-)

jagervw 12-14-2013 08:01 PM

I am a user of CLP and FrogLube. The latter has very slick properties.

Sieger 12-14-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter (Post 243035)
BALLISTOL was made for Luger Parabellums or was the Luger Parabellum made for Ballistol ?

Hi,

Well, it certainly works on Black Powder crud. The formula on the can says 10% Ballistol 90& water for corrosive primers.

Sieger

cliffdropover1 01-06-2014 05:19 PM

FP-10 is the most amazing I have ever seen. I saw a demo for it when it first came out, at SHOT. ( I believe a gentleman in Special Forces first told me about it.) I have used it for years with great success. Now sold by Shooter's Choice.

Leif Thoreson 01-07-2014 06:31 PM

I use Frog Lube as well. Seems to work well on my luger as well as my glock.

Daddydogg 01-08-2014 03:53 PM

Is anyone else using Ballistol? It seems to be working fine for me. Nothing has gummed up, broke, rusted, caught on fire or any other catastrophic failure to date since I have been using it.

Daddydogg

TheRomanhistorian 01-08-2014 05:34 PM

I use both Breakfree CLP and Ballistol. Rather like the Ballistol so far and may not restock on the Breakfree when I'm out.

Hey, Daddydogg, where in Washington State are you (out of curiosity)?

Daddydogg 01-08-2014 10:51 PM

Spokane.