LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic & Other Firearms (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Big NEWS on Short Barrel Rifles, Shotguns, Suppressors etc....... (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43049)

sdmark777 10-09-2026 07:30 PM

Big NEWS on Short Barrel Rifles, Shotguns, Suppressors etc.......
 
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Today ATF announced in an Open Letter (go to ATF.GOV to read it) declaring that based upon the recent Court Ruling in Texas, they are suspending those impacted sections of the NFA regarding Short Barrel Rifles, Short Barrel Shotguns, Any Other Weapons and Suppressors for all citizens nationwide (who are legally eligible to possess firearms) and not just those plaintiffs in the law suit!!!

That means Federally, no more NFA registration etc. for these firearms. So if you live in a free state like Arizona, not Comifornia, you can buy a short barrel rifle or suppressor at your local gun shop just like any regular hunting rifle. If your state controls such firearms there is no change on that, you are still fu$&**.

This is great news for Luger collectors. In the past ATF has advised you can have a period correct stock with your LP08 Artillery Luger for example. They have sometimes said a reproduction stock would probably be OK. All that silliness is now over, as these Luger and Stock combinations will no longer fall under NFA registration laws. Dare I say, you can now legally take a 1941 BYF (or any luger) and put a stock on it! With out having to NFA register it, engrave your name on it, submit finger prints etc. So now, if you have some neat shorty with stock collectible that is not listed as an NFA curio and relic you will not have to NFA register it and engrave your Name, City and State on it. I guess you could even make a Luger Carbine replica with a barrel less than 16 inches!!! I am so exited about this positive gun law news, as I have been following this closely. I hope this lasts.
Regards,
Mark

Bill_in_VA 10-09-2026 10:04 PM

This is momentous. Here’s the actual statement: https://www.atf.gov/media/30961/download

calibrator 10-10-2026 11:23 AM

Thanks for the Low-Down !

I DO live in Az. I'm intrigued by the AR Pistol concept. I realize you're NOT a Lawyer, but I will ask your opinion about a few aspects of contention for me.

Mounting a telescopic stock on an AR Pistol variant was illegal without proper registration. How does this move influence that?

Putting a Vertical Fore Grip on a Pistol was illegal, but NOT on a Carbine/Rifle. Same question as above.

Cans have always intrigued me since I participated in some developmental and construction projects surrounding them while in the USN. I have 2 platforms chambered in 300 Blackout, perfect hosts for a can. I stayed away from getting one due to the onus of the required registration. There are no great secrets inside one. As a machinist could making one strictly for personal use and not resale be considered illegal?

:cheers:

sdmark777 10-10-2026 12:01 PM

In my opinion: This new development puts to rest this whole back and forth on pistol braces being viewed as SBR's by ATF. Likewise placing a foregrip on an AR pistol for example made it an Any Other Weapon. ATF's change in posture now means in places like Arizona you can have a pistol brace or a stock on your AR pistol or even a foregrip with out having to register it through the NFA. You no longer need to file a form 1 to make a suppressor or a short barrel rifle unless you are doing it as a business. Just beware that once you make an SBR there are still NFA requirements. Like taking it to another free state still requires asking ATF's permission and filing a form first. It is also important to note that the Texas case gives protection to the plaintiffs and ATF is adopting a "policy" of extending it to everyone, but the law is still there. That means until the law is revised, ATF can flip flop and change its mind (say under a new administration). ATF is not even sure what they will do with the unregistered SBR's and suppressors or if they would be grandfathered if they later decide to put them under the NFA again, as they can only be registered when they are to be made. Sounds like a lot of these issues may be cleaned up as we go forward. The ATF is still going to accept voluntary form 4's(transfers) and form 1's(manufacturing), so the NFA registrations are not going away. Machine guns and destructive devices are not affected and remain under NFA restrictions as before.

So yes, in places like Arizona you can now put a stock and foregrip on your AR Pistol and make a suppressor for it with out registering it.

calibrator 10-10-2026 01:09 PM

Thanks for the prompt response.

I've had a love affair with firearms since I was 5 yrs old. Often regret not getting an FFL or a Manufacturers License after getting out of the USN. I had the perfect Commercial building in my control.

Since the Covid Scam went down, and ammo tripled in price, I haven't fired more than about 20 rds . I also reload for Precision Rifle applications and have ample components. I just lost the desire to go out in a hostile environment to pursue putting holes in paper.

I REALLY don't trust the Govt to not flip-flop under a new regime.

:bowdown:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Lugerforum.com