LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 08-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Default Country of Origin Mark

Conventional wisdom within the Luger collecting community has it that the GERMANY export mark was stamped on Lugers which were to be sent to â??English-speaking countries.â? Sometimes it is off-handedly referred to by the purported name of some particular legislation. Unsatisfied with being unable to make the actual citation, I decided to track it down.

Antique collecting sources I found commonly refer to the â??McKinley Tariff Act of 1891â? although some sources date it to 1890. Walter (The Luger Book) makes reference to the â??U.S. Firearms Act of 1890.â?

This seemed to me to be pretty sloppy, so I headed off to my local library. It took a couple of trips, but I was finally ableâ??with the kind assistance of the libraryâ??s research staffâ??to track down the legislation.

It was passed on October 1, 1890, and titled â??AN ACT to reduce the revenue and equalize duties on imports, and other purposes.â? The act itself is mostly an exhaustive listing of the kinds of materials imported into the US, and the import duty levied for each.

Many, many pages into the legislation one comes to a margin reference â??Articles usually marked, etc., not admitted unless marked with country of originâ? which denotes the pertinent paragraph:

â??Section 6: That on and after the first of March eighteen hundred and ninety one [1891], all articles of foreign manufacture, such as are usually or ordinarily marked, stamped, branded, or labeled, and all packages containing such or other imported articles, shall respectively, be stamped, branded, or labeled in legible English words, so as to indicate the country of their origin; and unless so marked, stamped, branded, or labeled they shall not be admitted to the country.â?

Note particularly that, although the Act was passed in 1890, the country of origin requirement was not to be implemented until 1891â??thus the confusion in the antique collecting community. Walter simply gets it wrong.

I am still doing research on this topic, but I thought you all might find this part interesting.

Source:
U.S. Statutes at Large
Volume 26 Dec. 1889â??March 1891
(p.567 begin Chap. 1244) p.613 Section 6
U.S. Government Printing Office 1891

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Dwight, You might want to also find out why "made in ----" was added to the marking in about 1923. I would suppose that the tariffs were based on where the items were made, rather than where they were actually shipped from: eg. Germany made Mausers surp;used by China. TH
Unread 08-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Tom,

That is, indeed, part of the continuing research.

In the 1900 bill, tariffs were based entirely on what an item was. This was specified in minute detail. The country of origin requirement appears to have been for identification purposes only.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Dwight, nice work!! Thanks for the information. I'm sure all appreciate the time you spent!! Again THANKS!!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Dwight, I guess that things have chenged since 1900, as I ordered some dies out of Canada some years ago. The normal duty should have been 11%, but since they were made in an iron curtain country (at the time), the duty climbed to 60% of my purchase price. TH